[SOLVED] Replacing Samsung M.2 250gb SSD with Crucial 1TB P1 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD on PC MSI GE72 6QD Apache Pro laptop.

ZalekBloom

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Warning – according to Crucial site this SSD is not compatible with MSI GE72 6QD Apache Pro laptop, but after few tricks it worked.

Here are steps:
Buy Sabrent USB Type-C Enclosure for NVMe PCIe M key M.2 SSD ($56)
Install the new SSD in the enclose and using USB cable connect it to PC
Install on USB flash bootable Clonezilla https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php
Boot your PC from the USB drive and using Clonezilla clone the old SSD to the new one (located in Sabren USB enclosure)
Put the new cloned SSD to you PC, start your PC and… look in amazement how Disk Management still shows the size of the new SSD as 250gb instead of 1tb, but don’t despair. Right click on system partition and select “shrink” for about 10mb.

A miracle will happen – suddenly disk0 will show 930gb instead of 235gb and it will show over 600gb of unallocated space.
Now you need any partition software to move unallocated space close to the boot partition and to increase size (I used NIUBI Partition Editor Free Edition)

zb

Last edited:
Solution
And there was no need to buy a $56 NVMe enclosure.
And external drive space with sufficient free space would have worked. Even a spinning HDD, or even a 256GB SD or microSD card.

ZalekBloom

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
And there was no need to buy a $56 NVMe enclosure.
And external drive space with sufficient free space would have worked. Even a spinning HDD, or even a 256GB SD or microSD card.

Now I see - I didn't need the $56 enclosure, I think Clonezilla could create a disk0 image in on my HD and then after installing the new M.2 drive in my PC to use Clonezilla top copy the image. I will try to remember to do it next time.

zb