Replacing second SSD with bigger SSD?

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Basically i have a tiny 14 GB SSD from a few years ago that i installed as a second SSD so im going to replace it with a larger one but try keep the letter number the same Local Disk E so my plan was to unpartition the Hard Drive in computer management and then extend the valume to c. Not sure if you have to do this part? exstend the valume? then remove the SSD from the PC then install new one..in same slot on MOBO. Is that right? or should i unpartition the drive after its been removed from pc?

Solution

I didn't say "copy the E partition"
I said, "Copy the contents of the E partition"
Whatever is in there, you want on some other drive or location.
How you do that is mostly irrelevant. Copy to a folder on the C first, or copy directly to the new SSD.
Just as long as the end result of the new drive is an E drive letter...

USAFRet

Titan

Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

If this is a secondary drive, this is probably an easy swap.

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Here it is.

43359812095_151ee88804_o.png

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I removed all drives and the 14GB SSD and it powered up fine.
here is screenshot of disk management

43359818385_bc7bc0670d_b.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
OK then, no problem.

You goal is to replace that 14GB thing with a larger SSD?

Put the new drive in, and get it all formatted and running
Copy the contents of the E partition on the small one to this new drive.
Swap drive letters around so that the new drive is the E, and this old small one is something else.
Once you're sure everything is OK, delete the contents of the 14GB drive.

Done.

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Yes replace the old 14GB SSD with a larger one.

Do i really need to copy the E partition? because the only thing on it is music for Itunes could i just copy it to C then install the new one then copy the music back over to the new E SSD?

Also dont i need to unpartition the old SSD?

I was thinking i could copy music to C unpartition the the old SSD then put new one in pc and change letter of the new one to E.

USAFRet

Titan

I didn't say "copy the E partition"
I said, "Copy the contents of the E partition"
Whatever is in there, you want on some other drive or location.
How you do that is mostly irrelevant. Copy to a folder on the C first, or copy directly to the new SSD.
Just as long as the end result of the new drive is an E drive letter, so as to preserve any path connections you might have.

For the 14GB drive? You don't need to "unpartition it" before hand. You can delete those partitions and data whenever you choose. It will just have some other drive letter...whatever you give it.

Solution