replacing sony vaio E series VPCEG35EN hard drive.

daniel107

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
my sony vaio laptop E SERIES VPCEG35EN hard drive needs to be replaced when i switch it on it shows 'S.M.A.R.T. HARD DRIVE DETECTS ERROR.PLZ CONSIDER TO BACK UP THE HARD DRIVE'.sony service center says it will cost 12K to replace its default hard drive is 320 gb can i replace it with higher memory hard drive and what size should i buy.I need recovery disk after replacing hard drive how can i create recovery disk my lapton does not switch on,Plz help guys

LOOKING FOR A RESPONSE EAGERLY.THANKS

Solution
Well, no, you will need to contact the manufacturer and get the default one.
As for your data, you can try to use some data recovery tool for DOS mode. This may work, if we assume the drive is not dead already. You can take a look at the Ubuntu Live CD approach: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode
You will need a CD or a flash drive -> boot Ubuntu from it -> see if your drive would be accessible. In case it is, you can copy the data that you need. In case it is not, then the drive is dead.

Once again, for the OS matter, you need to talk with the laptop's manufacturer.

D_Know_WD :)
Hi there daniel107,

As your drive is most probably failing, you should really back up the data stored on it ASAP.
I assume the laptop is not under warranty right? If this is the case, you can see what is the model of the drive and it's dimensions. You can check the manual as well.
I believe this should be a SATA drive right? Also, it should be a 2.5'' one. You need to check the height as well.

Apart from that, I believe that you can install a bigger drive in the laptop, as long as it fits in.

As for your OS, you will need to contact the laptop manufacturer. As the drive is most probably in a poor condition, you will need to perform a clean OS installation.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

daniel107

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
thank you for helping me my hard disk specs are 2.5 inch,height-7mm,sata,9.5 mm adapter.memory 320 gb.
i want to replace it with 500 gb and i have give up on sony care center,iam trying to do it on my own,I KNOW THE RISK.iam buying hard disk online.pz help me with the recovery section.

WAITING FOR A RESPONSE EAGERLY.THANK YOU

Well, yeah. As long as the other drive has the same dimensions, it should work fine.
As I am a WD representative, I can only suggest you some WD drives. If you want to, you can take a look at WD Blue. It comes with up to 1 TB (for 7mm) of storage space: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=FkVqCR

Another thing you can consider is taking an SSD. You will experience shorted boot and loading times. Yet, solid state drives fall in a higher price range.

What do you mean by recovery? Do you mean recovery of your data? If your computer still boots up fine, just transfer it to another drive. In case the computer won't boot, you should either attach the drive as a secondary one to another, working computer or use some data recovery tool for DOS mode.

If under recovery, you meant OS, you will need to contact the laptop manufacturer. You don't have a OS CD right? I assume that the laptop came with an OEM version of Win. In similar cases, you need to contact the manufacturer. The guys should be able to assist you with that.

Cheers,

daniel107

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

thank you for your reply
no my laptop does not boot it does not start windows plz tell me more about dos mode and how i can make recovery of my windows.After installing new hdd will other windows 7 recovery disk work or do i need the default one.

Waiting Eagerly for your reply.thanks

Well, no, you will need to contact the manufacturer and get the default one.
As for your data, you can try to use some data recovery tool for DOS mode. This may work, if we assume the drive is not dead already. You can take a look at the Ubuntu Live CD approach: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode
You will need a CD or a flash drive -> boot Ubuntu from it -> see if your drive would be accessible. In case it is, you can copy the data that you need. In case it is not, then the drive is dead.

Once again, for the OS matter, you need to talk with the laptop's manufacturer.

Solution