Question Replacing SSD in laptop; new SSD recognised using SATA USB adapter but not using MOBO SATA

Oct 12, 2020
So, I bought a new SSD to replace the existing SSD boot drive in my laptop. I first plugged the new SSD in using a SATA USB adapter and cloned the existing boot partition to it using Macrium. I then made a recovery USB using the same program.

After doing this, I replaced the old SSD with the new one in the laptop, however it wouldn't boot. In both the BIOS and recovery software, the new SSD simply does not appear, as though it doesn't exist.

I removed the new SSD and put the old one back in, and it works as usual. I also plugged the new SSD back in via the USB adapter and it also still works as it should.

So, the MOBO is obviously prepared for an SSD since I've been using one in it for years, SATA is backwards compatible to my knowledge (though they're both SATA III). The SATA port on the MOBO works, the new drive works via USB, so I don't know what's wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks.

The components in question:

Intel 520 series SSD (old) WD Blue SSD (new) Clevo P170EM Laptop

Oct 12, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

There is no secure boot in my BIOS to disable, so I guess it isn't that.

I have attempted to update the BIOS and have a new problem. I made the bootable USB, then updated the EC first (as was recommended, and happened automatically anyway) fine, but when attempting to update the BIOS I get the following error:

[PMODE/W:] Not Enough Memory Available

Not finding much on Google when searching that. Someone who had to install a VM to get around it (?) and people talking about Windows 95 and 98.

If relevant, here are the instructions I used. Incase they are wrong or something.

Creating the USB: https://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

BIOS: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-bios-older-models-released-in-after-2012.740492/
(the instructions are in the archive in a txt but it was simply running a BAT file, difficult to get wrong)