Question Replacing SSD + RAM in HP Laptop

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
Hi, I have the following laptop: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06145890

I have some questions as I would like to upgrade the RAM and STORAGE and not sure on what would be best option.

Firstly ram..
I have the following ram removed from previous laptops. Would either of these fit and work in this laptop as a ram upgrade?
  • 2x 8GB DDR-2400 SODIMM 1.2V CL17 - CT8G4SFD824A C16FF
  • 1x 8GB 1rx8 pc4 - 2666V - SA1 - 11 - 9995624 - E53.A00G 8112415-1831
If neither of these fit and work in this laptop, can you recommend another ram for this? What are the requirements. In an ideal world, I would prefer to use one of those 2 above.

Secondly storage...
The laptop currently has a 1TB HDD which I would like to remove. It also has a 16GB Intel Optane Memory M10.
I dont really understand the purpose of the optane, I think it takes the load and stress away from the other drive and helps process- is that correct? Can you use it for storage - bearing in mind its just 16GB?

I am going to replace the 1TB HDD with the following SSD I have spare - Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD CT500MX500SSD1. Can you confirm this will work with no problem?

Regarding the optane memory, I am considering replacing this with another SSD. I am unsure which SSD I would need to get to replace this slot.
Can anyone assist please? Would it be standard M2 or NVME? Which SSD would you recommend buying to replace this?

Eventually, once I have replaced the current HDD with the Crucial 500GB, and replaced the Optane Memory with another SSD, I would like to install 2 copies of windows - one on each.

I have attached a photos of inside the laptop below if it helps:

2woaxye.jpg

2eaqfea.jpg

am3axc.jpg

Last edited:

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Hello

You laptop supports up to 32 GB 2666 MHz RAM. [16 GB +16 GB]

and you can use both 2.5 inch as well as M.2 SSD

That RAM combination may or may not work but this will work, so if you have that already, then use it otherwise get the 16 GB Hyper X Kit, C15.

Keep the optane memory as it is and use just 1 500 GB Crucial MX 500.

The old HDD, you can convert into an external drive using a 2.5 inch casing.

Last edited:

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
I would ideally like to use the ram I already have. Can anyone confirm if it will work or not?

Good idea to convert the old HDD.
I will do this.

Regarding the SSDs, eventually I'm going to need 2x windows on separate drives... So really the only option is to replace the HDD with an SSD, and the Optane Memory with an M2 SSD (or whatever will fit to replace the Optane).

Couple of questions,

1. What slot does the Optane take and what options do I have for SSD in place of this?

2. I probably won't replace the Optane for some time. First I want to replace the HDD with an SSD and continue using the Optane for now. Will the Optane work alongside an SSD? Where do I install windows? On the optane or the SSD? Can Optane be used for storage?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would ideally like to use the ram I already have. Can anyone confirm if it will work or not?
No one will be able to answer this unfortunately, as RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same packs) as mixed modules can cause conflicts or not be compatible - even if they are the exact same model but from different packs.

So there is never a guarantee unless they are from the same pack. Not saying it never works, but it's a 50/50 gamble. Only way to find out is by putting it in your rig and trying.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
@PC Tailor Ok thanks, if it doesn't work, what will happen? The pc will not boot? So I shutdown and put the original ram back in?
One of 3 things will happen:
  • The PC will not boot
  • The PC will boot, but your RAM will behave oddly, maybe now, maybe in the future, or maybe only when you game.
  • The PC will boot, and there will be no problem at all.
Is anyone able to advise on the SSD replacements please, as described above?
Also the Crucial MX500 will work fine, it's a standard 2.5 SSD, which will swap out for the 2.5HDD you have in currently. You will want to clean install windows on it though, obviously.

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
@PC Tailor thanks for the reply. Yes I understand the 2.5 SSD installation, but not sure how the Optane works, and how it would work alongside another hardrive if I was to replace the current HDD with a 2.5" SSD. Could you please let me know how this should be setup?

If I was to replace the Optane Memory slot as well at a later date with an SSD, what type of SSD should I be looking for to replace the slot in this laptop?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
@PC Tailor thanks for the reply. Yes I understand the 2.5 SSD installation, but not sure how the Optane works, and how it would work alongside another hardrive if I was to replace the current HDD with a 2.5" SSD. Could you please let me know how this should be setup?

If I was to replace the Optane Memory slot as well at a later date with an SSD, what type of SSD should I be looking for to replace the slot in this laptop?
I would expect the Optane to be on a PCIe interface M2 so NVMe would be the way to go, but you may want to confirm this in your motherboard manual. The slot may be able to take NVMe or SATA interface M.2

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
@PC Tailor Thanks for your reply. I found the manual for my laptop on this link but struggle to find information of what slot it is -
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-da0000-laptop-pc/20395828/model/24349342/manuals
Can anyone help locate where it states this please?

I have just contacted HP to get their input and they said the following, which I don't think its totally true...

"I regret to inform that the optane memory on the computer cannot be replaced, it is inbuilt"
"It has been integrated into the motherboard"

So I sent them a photo of my laptop inside showing the Optane Memory below and said that it looks removable?
82sjTyt.jpg

And they came back with the following:
"It is not recommend to remove the optane memory from the computer, as it acts as n additional RAM, we have not tested this, And we do not support this as this will void the warranty, You can go and check this with a local computer store"

This is their WhatsApp official hp chat support - I guess I should ignore this advice? Are they wrong? It looks removable to me and I don't see how it would cause a problem to replace?

I'm also wondering, if I was to leave the Optane in there for some time, after replacing the HDD with an SSD, will the optane work right away? Do I need to configure it? Can I check it is working some how?

Last edited:

nickeh1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2015
One of 3 things will happen:
  • The PC will not boot
  • The PC will boot, but your RAM will behave oddly, maybe now, maybe in the future, or maybe only when you game.
  • The PC will boot, and there will be no problem at all.

Would it be possible to check if its going to work before replacing? What are the contributing factors that mean the ram might not work?

Which one has a better chance of working?

Ideally I'd like to use the 16gb if it works...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Would it be possible to check if its going to work before replacing? What are the contributing factors that mean the ram might not work?

Which one has a better chance of working?

Ideally I'd like to use the 16gb if it works...
Absolutely no way.

If you pick RAM that is the most similar (timings, voltage, etc.) then it minimises the risk in a way, but technically still is just a gamble.

Not saying it never works, just it's 50/50.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.