[SOLVED] Replacing stock amd fx8320 heatsink on 980de3 mobo

May 26, 2021
i have to cool a fx8320 on a 980DE3 mobo from ASRock (yeah i know bad mobo don't judge me) and a lot of people advocate for the cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. asrock recommends a top down cooling system.

i found a https://www.cnet.com/products/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-processor-cooler-acfre00060a/ witch is not a top down one but i think that it can be compensated by the fact that the vrms are cooled (i think) by 3 fans (2 intake front and side 1 exaust).

Can it work?

i also want to add that i will not OC the cpu (despite my name :D)

if not my budget is around 40-45 euros. any tips

Solution
One problem with your type of motherboard is lack of vrm cooling.
Hence the general recommendation of downdraft type coolers.
They tend to direct airflow to the motherboard.

What is the make/model of your case and what is the intake fan setup?
Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
If you are having heat issues, try taking the case side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.
I would not spend a dime on any upgrade to a FX system that can not be carried forward to a replacement upgrade.
A good cooler is a reasonable thing to do.
What is your current cooler?
I would favor a tower type cooler which does a better job of cooling the cpu and directing the hot air towards the back of the case and out...
Hey man,

Did some quick research, apparently there's no support for AM3+ sockets on that Arctic cooler. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 series should be alright, you can also look into the be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2 or the Gelid Tranquillo Rev.4 B.

If I'm right the be quiet! one has the best cooling capabilities, but local pricing may affect the bang-for-the-buck ratio.

i have to cool a fx8320 on a 980DE3 mobo from ASRock (yeah i know bad mobo don't judge me) and a lot of people advocate for the cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. asrock recommends a top down cooling system.

i found a https://www.cnet.com/products/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-processor-cooler-acfre00060a/ witch is not a top down one but i think that it can be compensated by the fact that the vrms are cooled (i think) by 3 fans (2 intake front and side 1 exaust).

Can it work?

i also want to add that i will not OC the cpu (despite my name :D)

if not my budget is around 40-45 euros. any tips
No air flow can replace proper heat sink so go ahead, change cooler, stock one (even Wraith) is atrocious, if nothing, you'll get some quiet.
If it fits of course.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd look at a downdraft cooler for any 125W AM3+ situation on a weak motherboard.

Like a Dark Rock TF.

41rmNDKaQaL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Though perhaps not this one since it's a rather large chunk of money to dump into an AM3+ platform.

I think I'd simply underclock it so that it's basically an FX-8300 instead.

Something like this would be cheaper, though I'd prefer to have two fans there.

https://www.quietpcusa.com/Scythe-Big-Shuriken-3-CPU-Cooler

May 26, 2021
I'd look at a downdraft cooler for any 125W AM3+ situation on a weak motherboard.

Like a Dark Rock TF.

41rmNDKaQaL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Though perhaps not this one since it's a rather large chunk of money to dump into an AM3+ platform.

I think I'd simply underclock it so that it's basically an FX-8300 instead.
it's more of a noise concern to me tbf... it sounds like a washing machine

May 26, 2021
These are not loud fans. We're talking sub-30 decibels with these.

You know what is really quiet? A motherboard that won't turn on because it's a cheap motherboard with a 125W CPU and no effort was taken to deal with the blazing hot VRMs.
i don't have the money nor the cpu clearance for that.

the mobo can handle 140w cpu (it's written on the board at least)

DSzymborski

Titan
i don't have the money nor the cpu clearance for that.

the mobo can handle 140w cpu (it's written on the board at least)

Supports doesn't mean a good idea. Cheap AM3+ motherboards have a notorious history with 125W CPUs, no matter what they officially support.

But it's your equipment, your risk, and your financial loss, not mine, so all I can do is wish you better-than-average luck.

One problem with your type of motherboard is lack of vrm cooling.
Hence the general recommendation of downdraft type coolers.
They tend to direct airflow to the motherboard.

What is the make/model of your case and what is the intake fan setup?
Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
If you are having heat issues, try taking the case side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.
I would not spend a dime on any upgrade to a FX system that can not be carried forward to a replacement upgrade.
A good cooler is a reasonable thing to do.
What is your current cooler?
I would favor a tower type cooler which does a better job of cooling the cpu and directing the hot air towards the back of the case and out.
That may not be the best solution for your current setup, but such would be better whenever you upgrade.
In the mean time, consider better case cooling.
Perhaps a stronger front intake fan.

Solution