[SOLVED] Replacing the slimline PSU in an inspiron 3668

Hitmontipx

Prominent
May 4, 2020
Don't have the budget or the need for a full gaming PC, just wanted to maybe upgrade what I have now a little. I've seen around that a 1030/RX 560/ or a 1050 could be put in, but I'm conscious that I only have the stock 240W PSU. Is the power draw going to be a problem?

If it is, how feasible is it to replace the stock PSU with something else? Maybe another stock Dell PSU from another model, if that'd fit, but I'm conscious that there's a cage mount blocking some of the space inside my machine.

Solution
GDDR5 at 30w would be no problem. that's a 65w cpu that should not break 75w or so at normal use.

should not be a problem. but going full 75w card like 1050/ti though would be pushing it. that's close to 150w for cpu/gpu leaving little room fr rest of system with a bit of headroom. think i'd stay below about 50w for the card unless you do want to upgrade the psu. then you could easily go more.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
we need to know the system specs to know what kind of power needs you have.

as for replacing the psu, i need to know the EXACT psu model you have to see what options might be there. i have replaced some of these slimline psu's with up to 425w units i think it was. so they exist for some designs and are not really that expensive. around $40-50

take a picture of the psu label and post it so can look into it some. however, depending on the specs it may not be needed if all you want to add is a 1050ti or similar 75w card.

Reactions: SamirD
If a gt1030 will suffice, that is a reasonably good solution.
Using your current psu.
It is a lower power card.
The GDDR4 versions spec is 20w, the stronger GDDR5 version is only 30w.

A GTX1050 is likely to work, but, I would pass on a RX560.

Hitmontipx

Prominent
May 4, 2020
we need to know the system specs to know what kind of power needs you have.

as for replacing the psu, i need to know the EXACT psu model you have to see what options might be there. i have replaced some of these slimline psu's with up to 425w units i think it was. so they exist for some designs and are not really that expensive. around $40-50

take a picture of the psu label and post it so can look into it some. however, depending on the specs it may not be needed if all you want to add is a 1050ti or similar 75w card.

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 @ 3GHz
8GB RAM
No GPU currently
As far as I can tell the motherboard is an Intel H110, I don't know if that's all you need?
The PSU is a 240W Dell specific H240NM-00 DW3M7

Yeah, I saw a couple of these threads but most of the ones I looked at weren't very recent. At the same time, I've seen stuff elsewhere saying that there's good chance it'll just not boot up, or it'll crash often.

Hitmontipx

Prominent
May 4, 2020
If a gt1030 will suffice, that is a reasonably good solution.
Using your current psu.
It is a lower power card.
The GDDR4 versions spec is 20w, the stronger GDDR5 version is only 30w.

A GTX1050 is likely to work, but, I would pass on a RX560.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. As far as I know there's a pretty significant performance difference between the GDDR4 and 5 versions, do you think risking the power draw is worth it?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
GDDR5 at 30w would be no problem. that's a 65w cpu that should not break 75w or so at normal use.

should not be a problem. but going full 75w card like 1050/ti though would be pushing it. that's close to 150w for cpu/gpu leaving little room fr rest of system with a bit of headroom. think i'd stay below about 50w for the card unless you do want to upgrade the psu. then you could easily go more.

Solution

Hitmontipx

Prominent
May 4, 2020

I think I'll invest in the 1030 then, if you think it won't be an issue. As long as it can squezze out more performance than my current integrated HD 630, it'll be more than enough for me. Thanks again

Hitmontipx

Prominent
May 4, 2020
you'll be playing at 1080p with low settings and 720p with better ones with that gpu. but it is leaps and bounds ahead f the bullt in gpu from the cpu for sure

just so long as you're aware of what it can do before you buy :)

Hey, I'm not stranger to minimum settings haha. If it runs and I enjoy it that's more than enough for me :)

Huge thanks to everyone who's replied as well.

TRENDING THREADS