[SOLVED] Replacing thermal paste did nothing

Inc0gn1to

Reputable
Apr 14, 2017
Hi guys, i recently found out that my CPU had been running games with a max temp of 100 degreesC. I decided to buy some new thermal paste (i hadnt replaced it in 3-4 years) and reapply it on to the CPU (i got Arctic MX-4). I play PUBG with my friend later and i still get temps at 100. I dont know what to do. here are my specs

I7 6700k (no OC) 4.00 Ghz
16gigs RAM
ASUS H110-m MoBo

my cpu cooler is what i think could be the problem, it's from Akasa and it's really cheap , heres the link to it ---> https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...ball-bearing-for-775-115x-92mm-hs-10d-ak.html

it works fine and averages speeds at about 1300RPM,
i really want to fix this

my idle temps are 30-35
my light browsing, Youtube, etc... temps are 40-60
my light gaming (Minecraft) temps are 50-75
my heavy gaming temps (CIV 6, PUBG, Bannerlord, Assassins Creed) temps are 80-100

thanks for your help in advance :)

Solution
I was looking at that one, do you think it could fit on to my motherboard as it looks quite big
Fitting it to the MB shouldn't be an issue. It should come with the proper hardware. Most people's issue with larger coolers is fitting it in the case.

That cooler is probably one of the best coolers Noctua sells....and may be more than you need. You could go for something smaller and still get good improvement because your current cooler is unfortunately pretty weak.

Maybe look around....
Here is a list to start with...
https://www.pcgamer.com/best-cpu-coolers/
The vast majority are going to be better than what you're running.
I would get a new cooler. You already know the one you are using isn't doing the trick. I've used coolers of that style and I'm using one now with an i7-980...they work OK...but just OK....for heavy gaming I would get something else. There are much better coolers out there.

Inc0gn1to

Reputable
Apr 14, 2017
I would get a new cooler. You already know the one you are using isn't doing the trick. I've used coolers of that style and I'm using one now with an i7-980...they work OK...but just OK....for heavy gaming I would get something else. There are much better coolers out there.
thanks for the response, i appreciate it.
do you know of any really good cpu coolers that are less than £90 by any chance
thanks again

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys, i recently found out that my CPU had been running games with a max temp of 100 degreesC. I decided to buy some new thermal paste (i hadnt replaced it in 3-4 years) and reapply it on to the CPU (i got Arctic MX-4). I play PUBG with my friend later and i still get temps at 100. I dont know what to do. here are my specs

I7 6700k (no OC) 4.00 Ghz
16gigs RAM
ASUS H110-m MoBo

my cpu cooler is what i think could be the problem, it's from Akasa and it's really cheap , heres the link to it ---> https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...ball-bearing-for-775-115x-92mm-hs-10d-ak.html

it works fine and averages speeds at about 1300RPM,
i really want to fix this

my idle temps are 30-35
my light browsing, Youtube, etc... temps are 40-60
my light gaming (Minecraft) temps are 50-75
my heavy gaming temps (CIV 6, PUBG, Bannerlord, Assassins Creed) temps are 80-100

thanks for your help in advance :)
That looks like a garbage cooler. It doesn't even look as good as some "box" coolers.

I was looking at that one, do you think it could fit on to my motherboard as it looks quite big
Fitting it to the MB shouldn't be an issue. It should come with the proper hardware. Most people's issue with larger coolers is fitting it in the case.

That cooler is probably one of the best coolers Noctua sells....and may be more than you need. You could go for something smaller and still get good improvement because your current cooler is unfortunately pretty weak.

Maybe look around....
Here is a list to start with...
https://www.pcgamer.com/best-cpu-coolers/
The vast majority are going to be better than what you're running.

Solution