[SOLVED] Replicate ryzen master setting in MSI bios

DFace1_2

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Hi,

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X470 gaming plus max
Bequiet pure rock slim

I'm determined that this will be my last question for my amateur tweaking before I actually just start enjoying my new build!

How do I replicate my Ryzen Master settings in my BIOS so they'll be implemented from PC on?

All I have done is go into creator mode, choose PBO and set PPT to 65w which has dropped my gaming temps to 69-70° from about 79-80°. My Cinebench score is a regular 3521 now and the highest I've ever had from first turning the system on a few months ago was 3587 so I'm totally happy with everything else.

I know how to set the PPT but how do I replicate the PBO setting? Is it just change it from Auto to Enable?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Thank you, I may do. But do you know if just clicking the PBO tab in Ryzen Master and then clicking apply means you've just "enabled" PBO? With whatever the PPT, TDC and EDC settings are?

Also, is there any kind of dangerous minimum for PPT?
You enabled PBO but you may not have made any changes to the operating parameters that PBO allows you to adjust. That's things like PPT, TDC and EDC and as well the PBO Scalar setting. I'm not sure what settings you have available but there are some presets, in my BIOS at least. The AUTO preset seems to do nothing for me...the MOTHERBOARD preset changes PPT, TDC and EDC to some limits established in BIOS that are specific to my motherboard. But the impact on performance is very little...
Hi,

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X470 gaming plus max
Bequiet pure rock slim

I'm determined that this will be my last question for my amateur tweaking before I actually just start enjoying my new build!

How do I replicate my Ryzen Master settings in my BIOS so they'll be implemented from PC on?

All I have done is go into creator mode, choose PBO and set PPT to 65w which has dropped my gaming temps to 69-70° from about 79-80°. My Cinebench score is a regular 3521 now and the highest I've ever had from first turning the system on a few months ago was 3587 so I'm totally happy with everything else.

I know how to set the PPT but how do I replicate the PBO setting? Is it just change it from Auto to Enable?

Thanks in advance.
PBO will cause higher temperatures, will not lower them. For the cost of a bit lower performance you could turn PBO off.

Reactions: DFace1_2

DFace1_2

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
PBO will cause higher temperatures, will not lower them. For the cost of a bit lower performance you could turn PBO off.
Thank you, I may do. But do you know if just clicking the PBO tab in Ryzen Master and then clicking apply means you've just "enabled" PBO? With whatever the PPT, TDC and EDC settings are?

You enabled PBO but you may not have made any changes to the operating parameters that PBO allows you to adjust. That's things like PPT, TDC and EDC and as well the PBO Scalar setting. I'm not sure what settings you have available but there are some presets, in my BIOS at least. The AUTO preset seems to do nothing for me...the MOTHERBOARD preset changes PPT, TDC and EDC to some limits established in BIOS that are specific to my motherboard. But the impact on performance is very little.

There really is no PPT (or EDC or TDC) setting that would be 'dangerous', in my experience, as PBO won't over-ride the CPU's safety mechanisms that pull voltage and clocks as the CPU gets hot. If it starts drawing more current than you motherboard VRM can deliver the voltage will be so unstable it crashes regularly. But that shouldn't happen on a Gaming Plus Max with a 3600 CPU.

The PBO settings are a bit wonky on many (most? all?) motherboards with Ryzen 3000 BIOS'; mine is one. I can set them to extremes with no significant changes to performance, but there are some intermediate settings that do have a benefit. Here's a video that shows some simple settings that seem to help everyone. He rambles a lot so TL/DW: set ppt to 330, tdc and edc to 230.

As noted previously: PBO increases heat output, sometimes a LOT. Better cooling (than stock the Wraithe cooler) is equally essential to get the performance improvement it offers as when the temp goes up it will pull voltage and clocks to keep safe.

Solution

DFace1_2

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
You enabled PBO but you may not have made any changes to the operating parameters that PBO allows you to adjust.

That's things like PPT, TDC and EDC and as well the PBO Scalar setting. I'm not sure what settings you have available but there are some presets, in my BIOS at least. The AUTO preset seems to do nothing for me...the MOTHERBOARD preset changes PPT, TDC and EDC to some limits established in BIOS that are specific to my motherboard. But the impact on performance is very little. There really is no PPT (or EDC or TDC) setting that would be 'dangerous', in my experience.

The PBO settings are a bit wonky on many (most? all?) motherboards with Ryzen 3000 BIOS'; mine is one. I can set them to extremes with no significant changes to performance, but there are some intermediate settings that do have a benefit. Here's a video that shows some simple settings that seem to help everyone. He rambles a lot so TL/DW: set ppt to 330, tdc and edc to 230.

As noted previously: PBO increases heat output, sometimes a LOT. Better cooling (than stock the Wraithe cooler) is equally essential to get the performance improvement it offers as when the temp goes up it will pull voltage and clocks to keep safe.
That's great, thank you for your help. I'll watch the video now and I guess I'll be tweaking for a while yet!