Report: Adobe Prepping Lawsuit Against Apple

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

to ensure quality of app development apple will soon ban the use of googlemail and hotmail as registered e-mail for app developers and anyone who's name begins with Eric and Bill

cause thats really going stop the "shake the baby app" from making it past the apple quality filter....

G

Apple needs to be sued. I'd sue them for lack of gaming experience but I know I can't since all macs are of inferior quality. And the reason I sold my MacBook was because it couldnt game worth a jizz.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]what the hell? they are actually trying to sue someone for not using there product? only in the USA[/citation]

Oh, you mean like when Apple sued Microsoft because not everyone was buying Macs?

G

The problem is that this is an antitrust issue. Only the feds can sue for antitrust. Something tells me that Obama is an Apple fanboy...

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
My thanks to those who took the time to explain that this is would be a suit over the SDK license agreement and the fact that Apple does not wish to let transcoded Adobe CS5 products be produced for their system.

I guess whether this suit comes to light will depend on whether or not the lawyers decide it is in the power to dictate development tools in their SDK license agreement. It would make an interesting precedent - do we really want to live in a world where all Windows software must be developed with the Visual Studio IDE (integrated developer environment)? Haven't we already accepted that with console games? Isn't it already a reality that proprietary auto parts cannot be manufactured by a 3rd party unless given express permission/licensing by the proprietary patent holder?

As to those knocking Flash, all I will say is "casual gaming market". What do you suppose we replace bubblebox, newgrounds, kongregate, armorgames, and hundreds upon hundreds of other casual gaming web sites with? (For those who doubt the power of the casual gaming market, I say "Wii".)

Again, thanks all for giving me something to think about.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
There is a reason why they said flash is so bad and this is one of them:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...cted_to_fake_antivirus_software?taxonomyId=85

I have many customers that got nailed by this and have been cleaning machines of the fake av's for weeks.

Flash exploits are a common attack vector for many malware writers as well as java exploits if they plugged up those security holes a little faster maybe apple would use them.

I have been doing malware research for over a year trying to figure out how customers get infected by malware surfing popular newspaper websites like ny times ect.

cbrei10213

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I agree that Adobe should just drop Apple, but god knows that if this did happen, Apple would get its team or lawyers together and force adobe to continue support and development for their products, but at the same time, never have to support flash on their devices. Apple = Evil Steve Jobs = Possible Anti-christ

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]Jobs is forgetting that while Flash may be a "piece of crap", EVERYONE uses it, and he can't provide a decent internet experience to his customers with out it. If the customers are not happy, they won't buy apple again.[/citation]

Didn't stop them from buying the iPad.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]I can't believe it took so long for adobe to do this. Now it will be up to the courts to decide whether Apple can legally control their devices as much as they do. I hope they can't.[/citation]

God forbid a company be able to legally control their own products. Capitalism is great until its someone you don't like huh?

knight9413

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I really hope Apple will start supporting flash. The reason why I used OSX as my primary system is because of Adobe, XCode, and works well with Linux.

shiznit770

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I hope everyone knows that html 5 replacing flash is just a pipe dream. The real reason apple doesn't support flash is because their app market income would shrink considerably as people flocked to free alternatives provided on websites by flash developers.

G

Adobe owns some of the most incredible applications in the planet. Without it we wouldn't have lots of of things the entertain us like some movies, some games, some business tools, etc. True there are other companies that make similar applications, but no doubt, Adobe is a magnificent company. This became especially true with the merging of Macromedia and Adobe.

And Flash... well Flash was part of Macromedia and probably the most effective marketing platform in the planet. It is used in TV ads, Internet and a multitude of devices.

Apple is also a magnificent company, but it suffers from a mega-ego. The sad part is that Steve Jobs is the great visionary and business man that made Apple a magnificent company (twice) but also the one to blame on a few bad choices like the one being discussed here.

If they could only see the bigger picture and work together for a better web and world in general...

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]If Adobe leaves the Mac platform, then 75% of Apples business is gone.[/citation]

ya, but with the amount of money that Apple has, they can easily develop an alternative in about a year if they just hire a crap-ton of coders.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
flash is garbage it makes for a mess the creative suite is alright .. but cs 5 will be mac compatible any way so it wont matter .. there will always be flash for mac.. personally would you rather have a resource hog flash player that crashes and takes for ever to load or something that is a lot more efficient .. people are always quick to bash something they don't know.. html 5 will make for a lot better user environment. as for the whole ipad thing its quite obvious people like them personally I plan to wait for 2nd gen device 1st gens are always buggy any way.

G

Flash ads (presumably badly coded) that consume processor cycles to the point of halting everything have pushed many into choosing Firefox specifically because it has an effective Flash blocker. Adobe's other mega product, the PDF, regularly trashes my browser when I close documents I've read online.

Adobe does not make itself many friends among ordinary users who are forced to use their products.

While Jobs may be a pain -- at least I can choose not to buy his overpriced toys.

jsm6746

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]Say good buy to people buying macs for photoshop and the like.Nail in the coffin for apple.[/citation]

the only places that i know of that require mac knowledge are graphic design firms... and adobe is the leader as far as graphic design products are concerned... ouch...

Status
Not open for further replies.