Report: Amazon Working on Glasses-Free 3D Phone Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetleader

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Does anybody actually want 3D on a handheld device? To be honest do people want 3D on anything? I always found it to be a stupid gimmick.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I dunno... I think the jury is out on the market for 3d. I think the way that we're seeing it marketed at the cinema (big cost adder) is probably not going to work that well... after trying it out I just don't see the benefit for most movies. A 3d handheld MAY be interesting if there's content that uses it (3d gaming maybe... I've seen some very cool 3d game demos)... and if it doesn't add much to the cost (and doesn't detract from the 2d performance of the display). I don't see it getting people to fork over much more $$ for the device though.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
HTC used to have a fixed-angle 3D phone which they discontinued. I'm not aware of any such phones in their current lineup.
I've always had a soft spot for stereoscopic 3D, since I got a set of CrystalEyes LCD glasses, in 1994 (and does anyone remember the glasses for the 8-bit Sega console?). But it's a fad that comes & goes, never seeming to have enough staying power.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I still own and use an HTC Evo 3D. I did NOT get it for the 3D, but because it had a hot CPU and memory, etc. at the time. the 3D pictures are actuall too 'strong'. If it toned down the 3d, it would be perfect but it over does it. The Green Hornet movie that came with it is a neat 'this is what it could do' thing to show people but that's all the 3D my phone ever, ever does. Had it since release. I don't see this being any different/better.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
help me obeewon kenobi you are my only hope.... if it looked good then it might be cool. my wife's htc evo-v 3d 3d display is rarely used but it is kind of cool sometimes. if it looke dbetter i bet she would use it more often

Status
Not open for further replies.