Report: AMD FX-9000 Series CPUs Priced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benthon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Sadly? Only a few people would buy an 8350 that's been overclocked for 5x the price. This is more pointless than the $1000 intel processors.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
AMD typically does very well in price v performance. It would be pretty exciting if the 9000 series actually held their own in their respective price ranges.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Unless there are architectural changes in these chips, there really isn't any logic in charging a hundreds of dollars for a factory overclock.

Also, inflated retail prices do not mean that these prices are true to the MSRP of these chips.

PedanticNo1

Honorable
May 3, 2013
So, the best binned chips with a hefty factory overclock. I don't want to go Intel for my next build . . . but it's a bit difficult to say no to superior performance and energy efficiency with what is, realistically, only a small premium (for the mainstream lines, not E, i7, etc.)

That TDP is insane, though. I find it difficult to believe even enthusiasts would find that acceptable.

cyan1d3

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
These prices are bogus, these chips will fall between $200-$300. The FX8350 can be had for $200, slap a $100 closed loop water cooling and you have your 5ghz.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
What the heck is wrong with AMD???? What are they even thinking anymore? There entire claim to fame is there lower prices with high performance. Why would someone pick this over a Intel Extreme? There almost the same exact price and the Intel has a proven track record. AMD should have released this thing in the 250-400 dollar range. Make it a alternative to Intel's I5 midrange performance chips. Then they could have wiped the floor with Intel. Instead they have this over priced chip to compete with Intel who sadly dominates the chip market right now.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
What the heck is wrong with AMD???? What are they even thinking anymore? There entire claim to fame is there lower prices with high performance. Why would someone pick this over a Intel Extreme? There almost the same exact price and the Intel has a proven track record. AMD should have released this thing in the 250-400 dollar range. Make it a alternative to Intel's I5 midrange performance chips. Then they could have wiped the floor with Intel. Instead they have this over priced chip to compete with Intel who sadly dominates the chip market right now.

eastyy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
ouch that price really hurts cannot say who this would be for a high power using cpu probably running quite hot and probably just a small amount of performance increase from the previous piledriver processors for a lot more money

If the price is not right though and a lot cheaper then i may be tempted but even then the tdp may make me thinkg

I think i may have to replace my AM3+ motherboard now

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
At that price I would likely buy a LGA 2011 i7 6-Core. 220W, and that kind of pricing is ridiculous. If benchmarks show that it beats i7's then great but I would rather get an 8XXX Series FX and overclock it myself.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
The TDP is insane but people are willing to take that kind of TDP for the graphics engine???

If the performance outguns I7 big then I think it's worth it , it's no different than grabbing a 7990, IMHO.

But then again I can't see it outgunning an i7

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
A new benchmark is being introduced for this CPU. It's the egg cooking benchmark (time - shorter is better). I think this CPU should be substantially better than any competition on that one :)

Stealthman80

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Ok....so I'm strictly AMD all around. This ones seems stupid to me though. I have an 8350@ 4.7Ghz and its cooled by a cooler master 212+. The only reason I cant go higher is the cooling. It can handle it but right at the limit.. and I can pretty much guarantee its at least 200 watts, you should feel the heat come off this thing! So yeah its just a well binned processor with a high overclock. Your going to need a high end mobo and cooling to handle it and it doesn't seem very practical

Status
Not open for further replies.