Report: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series to Launch January 9

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]Cazalan[/nom]That's wild. 1.9 Billion more transistors than the 6950 (Cayman 2.65bill).[/citation]

Yeah and all future games, save a few, will be designed from the ground up for SB/IB igpus and llano. Might scale up, might not.

I hope its wicked and holds up a big sign "Look what you could do, and here's the tools to do it" in a reasonable time (2 year dev cycle is reasonable, depending who u talk to, some want -1yr).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]__Miguel_[/nom]Hmm, please let me clarify something, since this article, as most articles stating European prices and how those prices equate in terms of USD are usually a bit skewed from reality.To put it clearly: in Europe, you simply cannot state prices for consumer goods without applicable taxes being added, usually VAT (P&P are excluded, btw). You can do it if you're selling them to a company, but NOT for consumers. So, those prices are final retail prices if you want to pick them up from the store, which is not that bad, especially since it's rather common for companies to have a single price throughout the entire Euro-zone.Oddly enough, these prices are usually identical to what US residents see in on-line shops like NewEgg and similar (which don't show post-sales tax prices, AFAIK): a $199 card in the States usually costs €199 in Europe. I don't really know how, but at least on IT stuff, there is a 1:1 conversion ratio between Euro and US Dollar.In short, if history repeats itself, these cards are a probably more palatable $550 when they hit the US market. It's still a much better price than in the US, though, if it weren't for the damn unofficial 1:1 conversion rate, it would hit markets at ~€440, not €550...Miguel[/citation]
Europe is not a country, even thought 17 nations use the Euro each member state may have its own rate of VAT, sales tax, or other similar. Stating the price ex-VAT then gives the reader the opportunity to work out the cost applicable to them.

G

[citation][nom]joellim[/nom]SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!![/citation]
People who downvoted this don't watch Futurama.

G

Finally a card worthy of Crysis at Maximum settings and 3D monitors! awesome !!

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
6-700$ is actually not that bad for the performance they should have.Agreed to today's standards it is High end.
amazing how fast people forget what they used to pay for high end a few years ago,x1900xtx was over $500 at one time.and an amd 4400 dually was almost $500

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Thank god they didn't go with Rambus memory. Rambus is a shady patent troll that should die, and doesn't need massive revenue from high end GPUs in the generation that will probably be the first in the massively parallel general purpose computing era.

What we really need is a new GDDR standard. GDDR5 has been in use going on 6 years, since AMD skipped gen 3 and 4.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
just wait 2-3 month and price will drop down as the current 6970, gtx 580. At this price rate it better rape their 690 performance, otherwise its going to be a big dissapointement. And why would people need 3-4 crossfire with pci 3.0 gaming ? At least i can understand using pci 3.0 with Quad SLI with the next nvidia videocard for CUDA calulation if needed otherwise its just worthless like usb3 at the begening without usb memory stick that match the speed..

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]Miguel, I'm not sure it's exactly "1:1" as you put it.[/citation]
It's close enough (insert meme here... lol) most of the times, to the point, at least in Portugal (VAT = 23%), you can actually check the "Best CPU/GPU/SSD for the money" articles and just substitute "$" for "€" and it will be mostly accurate. Of course there are some differences here and there, but you can pretty much do that.

As for your take on how it works, it sure does seem VAT is the only difference between the prices...

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Europe is not a country, even thought 17 nations use the Euro each member state may have its own rate of VAT, sales tax, or other similar. Stating the price ex-VAT then gives the reader the opportunity to work out the cost applicable to them.[/citation]
As I said, when you state consumer prices for ANY European country in the Euro-zone, VAT must be already calculated. Plus, most Euro-zone countries have similar VAT rates, which most companies (at least IT ones) take advantage of to be able to define a single price point for most countries.

That being said, my original point was that US prices are usually without VAT, EU ones are WITH VAT, so US prices should be lower than the $700+ stated in the article.

Miguel

tzhu07

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Very cool if true. I don't mind paying a high premium for a premium product. $500 - $550 is probably what the 7970 will cost in US.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well, it seems that ATI is guite confident that the 7970 is guite a beast considering the price. Not bad at all. And I don't expect to see very big prize drop. So for a long time ATI seems to fight for the performance crown. Ofcource we can expect the Nvidia to strikes back! Nice to see some fierce competition again :)
But these are still rumours, like that obskure Rambus "leak", so nothing real and congrete so far. But it seems to be so that ATIs middle range cards are more suitable this time for normal user, than these "high end" versions.
The biggest problem here seems to be the "lack" of middle range cards... So this information seems to be more like fake news than a real or ATI has really "new" strategy of releasing cards this time... Well more bat news in this same bat channel...

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]3D for multiple displays? Won't the bezel size affect the 3D illusion? I've been asking myself this ever since Nvidia introduced it.Also, where mah HD 7670 at? Because it looks like no joy this Christmas...[/citation]

Frustrating monitor companies do not develop thin bezel LCDs! This needs to be done for multi-LCD gaming or otherwise to really take off!

G

Hey that's my birthday! am I saying goodbye to my 6870 that day? hmmmmm

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
$700 for the best single GPU? Seems steep. I believe I could get a dual GPU for that price right now.

I'm looking for something that will allow me to play BF3 with Direct 11 in 2560x1440 in Ultra settings with an average of 60 fps. If a $700 card can do it instead of 2 580's in SLI at $1,300 then I'm down.

I just want to know what they'll end up charging for their dual GPU card. $1,500?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Cyber Build PC[/nom]It will be nice to see some new cards on the market. Although $700 sounds kind of a high price for an amd card.[/citation]

europeinas pay alot more for things like this due to i believe tax methonds, in america it will likely be about 500-600

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]europeinas pay alot more for things like this due to i believe tax methonds, in america it will likely be about 500-600[/citation]

Exactly. Early rumors suggested $400 and $500 for 7950 and 7970, respectively. More recent rumors suggest $450 and $550. But rumors are just that and we will find out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.