Report: AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB Ready To Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzioAs

Distinguished

I agree. You just have to add/use more cables than you need when you can actually get the same power output from 2 8-pin. Weird move indeed :??:

G

All newbs are wrong! I want the 1.21 gigawatts video card. ATI, you know you can do better. Don't let me down!

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]xtreme5[/nom]useless hardware, will be much expensive, temps like a hell, there is currently no stuff require that type of gpu power. Even 1GB is still better idea.[/citation]

It will be allow you to run BF3 on Ultra with 5 monitors haha. Besides that, there is very few who would buy this for professional use. We don't even know the temps.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I think AMD should just scrap this card and let Nvidia win the dual GPU crown sinse they already did because AMD is too late to enter this hyper-niche market and focus on releasing the 8990 as the first GPU of the 8000 series so they can get at Nvidia with a significantly more powerful card that consumes less power and newer too.

G

a little late AMD?

i would rather see on making a 8XXX series, a refinement and performance imporvement over 7XXX. now that 28nm should be stable enough to make larger gpus without too low of yeilds.

a little late AMD?

i would rather see on making a 8XXX series, a refinement and performance imporvement over 7XXX. now that 28nm should be stable enough to make larger gpus without too low of yeilds.

Larger GPUs shouldn't be necessary as much as simply improving or replacing the GCN architecture and keeping the chip size fairly similar to what it is now. Higher yields with the same chip size should mean lower costs because each wafer would be more likely to have more functional chips, so you could get higher performance with lower costs of manufacturing that allow prices to drop without profit margins to drop.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Is there a good reason to go quad six pin over dual 8 pin PCIe power connectors?[/citation]
It's probably cus they rushed it and just mashed two HD 7950s together (which uses two 6pins each).

G

I have no doubt that this will be a nice card, but I'm seeing a bad trend going with these prices. Companies used to shy away from the $1000 mark, but now they are exceeding $1100 even. Even the single gpu enthusiast cards are $100 more than the previous generation cards. I wasn't that long ago that AMD released the 4870 for $200 and the 4870x2 for $550.

...you know what? Forget it. I just did some research on some old video cards while typing this. These prices are nothing new. The GTX280 used to cost $500, just like the GTX680 does now. Instead, I shall hope for a price war in order to drive down the prices!

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]xtreme5[/nom]useless hardware, will be much expensive, temps like a hell, there is currently no stuff require that type of gpu power. Even 1GB is still better idea.[/citation]
Will be very useful for the Folding@home distributed computing project!

[citation][nom]xtreme5[/nom]which one would be better for HARD-CORE gaming?HD 7990 vs GTX 690.I like 690 actually i'm not a fan of nvidia if you people thought that i'm.[/citation]

That would depend on what you consider hard-core. I would think that either a 2560x1440, 2560x1600, or a triple 1080p/1920x1200 setup would be what I'd call hard-core for these cards. For those resolutions, the 7990/7970X2s might be able to win out in most games.

[citation][nom]cbfelterbush[/nom]Both versions of the 7970x2 use 3*8pin power connections. Not 2 8pin. -CB[/citation]

The 7990 seems to use four 6 pins, implying that unlike the 7970X2s, these have much better binned Tahiti GPUs, memory, other components, and that the PCB is also more power-consumption optimized, among other differences. The 7970X2s also seem to have higher clock frequencies, but not so much that their power consumption should be almost 50% higher. They probably use regular Radoen 7970 or maybe even Radeon 7970 GHz Edition GPUs rather than presumably even better binned Radeon 7990 Tahiti GPUs.

A huge amount of situations at 1080p and beyond can push past 1GB. Yes, even 1080p can break past 1GB and even 1.25GB in some modern games. You're really out of the loop.

[citation][nom]chairman ray[/nom]I'd love to see some benchmarks between 7990 and 690 for triple 2550x1600 gaming.[/citation]

You'll probably need two of each graphics card for that and even then, it might be unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.