Report: AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB Ready To Launch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4x6-pin. That alone signifies what kind of a blunder this card will possibly be.

Consider this - AMD already has trouble keeping noise of the 7970GE under control, and it's only specified for 350W. A 7990 with dual-7970 or 7950 chips would spell doom for AMD.

Hell, this is just like the time when Nvidia was known for hot-running chips. AMD, please don't make that mistake.

spagalicious

Distinguished
If they hit $750-800 for a starting price point, which it absolutely will not be, they would have my buy. If dual gpu cards were $100 cheaper than buying 2 single flagship gpu's they would be alot more attractive.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
There is always a need for this kind of card, not for the normal consumer but more as a prestige item to prove technology. If there is a market for a car that costs $2 million, this card can happily exist too

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]I think AMD should just scrap this card and let Nvidia win the dual GPU crown sinse they already did because AMD is too late to enter this hyper-niche market and focus on releasing the 8990 as the first GPU of the 8000 series so they can get at Nvidia with a significantly more powerful card that consumes less power and newer too.[/citation]

Needs more full stop.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Im surprised noones asked. Or i missed it. The question is not if it is too expensive or enough ram, but...
Can it run Crysis???

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I agree. Nobody will need this graphics card. Even my friends don't buy the most expensive card. Why? Bragging rights don't exist any more. All you do is buy the card that runs all your stuff at a decent framerate and talk about it, rather than having the most bloated useless card that is out these days. I'm guessing it is possibly because most game devs have to develop for 5+ yr old hardware (xbox, ps3, should we bother counting wii? well no.) and when you splurge on a PC you aren't getting anywhere. I would hope for better games but realistically we know everything is going to trend toward PS4 and the third generation Xbox (hope they don't call it 720 because that is a stupid name, almost as stupid as 360 and Vista).

I have a GTX 670 and it is already too much card for everything I play. Why need something that costs over a grand when you aren't going to notice the difference between it and a gtx 260 at all most of the time lol.

[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I agree. Nobody will need this graphics card. Even my friends don't buy the most expensive card. Why? Bragging rights don't exist any more. All you do is buy the card that runs all your stuff at a decent framerate and talk about it, rather than having the most bloated useless card that is out these days. I'm guessing it is possibly because most game devs have to develop for 5+ yr old hardware (xbox, ps3, should we bother counting wii? well no.) and when you splurge on a PC you aren't getting anywhere. I would hope for better games but realistically we know everything is going to trend toward PS4 and the third generation Xbox (hope they don't call it 720 because that is a stupid name, almost as stupid as 360 and Vista).I have a GTX 670 and it is already too much card for everything I play. Why need something that costs over a grand when you aren't going to notice the difference between it and a gtx 260 at all most of the time lol.[/citation]

Anyone buying such a card as the 7990 would definitely have a display setup that would let the card prove that it is several times better than the GTX 260. To be honest, I'd be surprised if you couldn't tell the difference between a GTX 260 and a Radeon 7990 or a GTX 690 in any modern games with the settings adjusted to make use of the incredible performance of the current-gen dual-GPU cards.

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
[citation][nom]spagalicious[/nom]If they hit $750-800 for a starting price point, which it absolutely will not be, they would have my buy. If dual gpu cards were $100 cheaper than buying 2 single flagship gpu's they would be alot more attractive.[/citation]

Remember the days when dual GPU cards were cheap as hell? Man, $600 for a 7950 GX2/9800 GX2/GTX 295. And still getting the best performance.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]xtreme5[/nom]useless hardware, will be much expensive, temps like a hell, there is currently no stuff require that type of gpu power. Even 1GB is still better idea.[/citation]

games played on a 2560x1600 monitor could use this card
not to mention some of the higher end games require sli or crossfire even at 1080p to push decent frames.

i would agree that purchasing one of these would be stupid, at least until the ps3 and 720 get thier hardware set in stone and announced.

[citation][nom]ishouldresearchbeforeipost[/nom]I have no doubt that this will be a nice card, but I'm seeing a bad trend going with these prices. Companies used to shy away from the $1000 mark, but now they are exceeding $1100 even. Even the single gpu enthusiast cards are $100 more than the previous generation cards. I wasn't that long ago that AMD released the 4870 for $200 and the 4870x2 for $550....you know what? Forget it. I just did some research on some old video cards while typing this. These prices are nothing new. The GTX280 used to cost $500, just like the GTX680 does now. Instead, I shall hope for a price war in order to drive down the prices![/citation]

lol, its the chip sizes themselves that force these to cost so much. there is very little profit in high end cards and chips from almost everyone. these high end cards are barging rights cards, and i honestly doubt they ever make their money back on them, at least anymore...

to make this one card, you would need 2 perfect chips, sometimes a custom pcb, or at least custom manufacturing pf the pcb, for something that will sell like crap.

these are expansive as hell for a reason.

radon_antila

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]4x6-pin. That alone signifies what kind of a blunder this card will possibly be.Consider this - AMD already has trouble keeping noise of the 7970GE under control, and it's only specified for 350W. A 7990 with dual-7970 or 7950 chips would spell doom for AMD.Hell, this is just like the time when Nvidia was known for hot-running chips. AMD, please don't make that mistake.[/citation]
I disagree. If you have the money to buy this card, you likely have the money to cool your system with something other than room-temperature air.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]anonymouse9459485[/nom]a little late AMD?i would rather see on making a 8XXX series, a refinement and performance imporvement over 7XXX. now that 28nm should be stable enough to make larger gpus without too low of yeilds.[/citation]

Its funny how you assume that since there is a team working on the 7990, that must obviously mean there is no development on the 8k series... myopic much

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]fuzznarf[/nom]Its funny how you assume that since there is a team working on the 7990, that must obviously mean there is no development on the 8k series... myopic much[/citation]

Didn't you know AMD is just one guy?

/s

I have a slight anticipatory drool problem at present ... possibly extrapyramidal ... but I'd have to stop my meds for a couple of days to confirm if it is that ... or this.

So its a thumbs up for me.

:)

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]4x6-pin. That alone signifies what kind of a blunder this card will possibly be.Consider this - AMD already has trouble keeping noise of the 7970GE under control, and it's only specified for 350W. A 7990 with dual-7970 or 7950 chips would spell doom for AMD.Hell, this is just like the time when Nvidia was known for hot-running chips. AMD, please don't make that mistake.[/citation]

The GTX 590 isn't too loud. It uses two 8-pin connectors, equal in maximum power draw to four 6-pin connectors. AMD's problem is that they keep using crap coolers as their reference cooler. Anyone with half a brain who buys a card this high end from AMD would get a non-reference cooler either with a non-reference cooled model or an after-market cooler if the noise of the reference cooler is a problem. Furthermore, the heat and power consumption of this card isn't any higher than what we've seen from other cards in the past.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]ishouldresearchbeforeipost[/nom]I have no doubt that this will be a nice card, but I'm seeing a bad trend going with these prices. Companies used to shy away from the $1000 mark, but now they are exceeding $1100 even. Even the single gpu enthusiast cards are $100 more than the previous generation cards. I wasn't that long ago that AMD released the 4870 for $200 and the 4870x2 for $550....you know what? Forget it. I just did some research on some old video cards while typing this. These prices are nothing new. The GTX280 used to cost $500, just like the GTX680 does now. Instead, I shall hope for a price war in order to drive down the prices![/citation]
Do you know what was inflation in past 5 years in both US, EU and Japan? Do you know how much it costs to develop 28nm processor? You obviously do not. Go cry to mommy how the world is unjust.

G

[citation][nom]xtreme5[/nom]useless hardware, will be much expensive, temps like a hell, there is currently no stuff require that type of gpu power. Even 1GB is still better idea.[/citation]

Exactly.

[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]Exactly.[/citation]

Exactly wrong. There are many ways to use far more GPU power than what even two GTX 690s or two Radeon 7990s or two Radeon 7970X2s could ever come close to being enough for. Try running a modern game with all settings maxed out and with SSAA at any very high resolution and these top-end dual-GPU cards would not be nearly enough. Beyond that, breaking past 1GB happens in MUCH lower end cards. You know the Radeon 7850 and the 7870? They have 2GB. Why do they have 2GB? Well, it's because moderngames can break 1GB even on such cards at 1080p. It's usually not to the point where 1GB can't be worked with, but throw in CF and settings appropriate for CF and suddenly, 1GB is a huge bottle-neck even at 1080p with some AA in many of today's games.

Temps would not be a problem at all if they used a good cooler. xreme5 was wrong with everything in that post that you replied to.

[citation][nom]Hetneo[/nom]Do you know what was inflation in past 5 years in both US, EU and Japan? Do you know how much it costs to develop 28nm processor? You obviously do not. Go cry to mommy how the world is unjust.[/citation]

Inflation, R&D, and such have little to do with this right now. These prices are what they have been for years and before them, prices were often much worse. I also notice how the post that you replied to was not whining about fairness, yet you mocked it for that anyway.

[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]I think AMD should just scrap this card and let Nvidia win the dual GPU crown sinse they already did because AMD is too late to enter this hyper-niche market and focus on releasing the 8990 as the first GPU of the 8000 series so they can get at Nvidia with a significantly more powerful card that consumes less power and newer too.[/citation]

That certainly is one way of doing this. Card makers are already making 7970X2 cards, so AMD could have simply left it to them and spent the extra effort working on Radeon 8000 cards rather than a dual-GPU card for the current generation that affiliate companies were already doing themselves.

theonlydz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Seriously.... a statement from the "console" gamer.... I have 3 27 inch monitors just waiting to be ran on this 7990... I'm hoping AMD comes through, They have ALWAYS been winning the multi monitor market... hopefully it will continue.... I don't see why people on here don't realize there is definitely a market for these cards, it's just users like me with multi monitors... and if you haven't tried multi monitor setups... it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS