Report: AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB Ready To Launch

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theonlydz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I agree. Nobody will need this graphics card. Even my friends don't buy the most expensive card. Why? Bragging rights don't exist any more. All you do is buy the card that runs all your stuff at a decent framerate and talk about it, rather than having the most bloated useless card that is out these days. I'm guessing it is possibly because most game devs have to develop for 5+ yr old hardware (xbox, ps3, should we bother counting wii? well no.) and when you splurge on a PC you aren't getting anywhere. I would hope for better games but realistically we know everything is going to trend toward PS4 and the third generation Xbox (hope they don't call it 720 because that is a stupid name, almost as stupid as 360 and Vista).I have a GTX 670 and it is already too much card for everything I play. Why need something that costs over a grand when you aren't going to notice the difference between it and a gtx 260 at all most of the time lol.[/citation]

Just because you run on a weak system doesn't mean we have to... I have over 5000x1000 resolution on my 3 monitor setup.... with dual 570's i only get like 40 fps on bf3... I need 80 fps.... 7990 or a 690 is the answer to that. I plan on buying the 7990 first chance I get.... If these cards aren't "needed" then why is the 690 constantly selling out?

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]theonlydz[/nom]Seriously.... a statement from the "console" gamer.... I have 3 27 inch monitors just waiting to be ran on this 7990... I'm hoping AMD comes through, They have ALWAYS been winning the multi monitor market... hopefully it will continue.... I don't see why people on here don't realize there is definitely a market for these cards, it's just users like me with multi monitors... and if you haven't tried multi monitor setups... it's amazing.[/citation]
AMD is just too late. It's 8xxx series is a few months away. All I'm saying is they scrap this 7990 because it makes more sense to jump ahead on Nvidia with the 8990.

27'' monitors @ 1920x1080 and not 2560x1600?

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]AMD is just too late. It's 8xxx series is a few months away. All I'm saying is they scrap this 7990 because it makes more sense to jump ahead on Nvidia with the 8990.27'' monitors @ 1920x1080 and not 2560x1600?[/citation]

How are they too late?? the released the 7970 well before the 680 was released and you didn't say that NVidia was too late for the single crown?? But if AMD releases after NVidia, on the same time frame you say that AMD is too late... go home nvidia fanboi. Fact is NVidia HAD the crown on single, and then lost it to the GHZ edition... now they are going to lose it to the 7990 also in the doubles market.

[citation][nom]fuzznarf[/nom]How are they too late?? the released the 7970 well before the 680 was released and you didn't say that NVidia was too late for the single crown?? But if AMD releases after NVidia, on the same time frame you say that AMD is too late... go home nvidia fanboi. Fact is NVidia HAD the crown on single, and then lost it to the GHZ edition... now they are going to lose it to the 7990 also in the doubles market.[/citation]

It's not Nvidia fanboyism... The fact is that there is almost no market for the 7990 and that is why there's little point in wasting company resources on it instead of Radeon 8000. Also, many of us did say that Nvidia was too late with the 680.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]It's not Nvidia fanboyism... The fact is that there is almost no market for the 7990[/citation]
So there is a market for the 7990... no matter how small you think it is, it is big enough for AMD to want a piece of; which they will get.
not to mention your whole notion of releasing a 7990 means that 8k work stops is totally ridiculous. 8k is a different architecture and there is a different team working on it. apples and oranges.

[citation][nom]fuzznarf[/nom]So there is a market for the 7990... no matter how small you think it is, it is big enough for AMD to want a piece of; which they will get.not to mention your whole notion of releasing a 7990 means that 8k work stops is totally ridiculous. 8k is a different architecture and there is a different team working on it. apples and oranges.[/citation]

What notion of if the 7990 is worked on, Radeon 800 work stops are you going on about? Your being ridiculous here. AMD is obviously not making the best of decisions (look at FX for proof), so whether or not they think that the 7990 is worth the effort has no impact on what I've said. I never said that the 7990 being worked on means that the Radeon 800 cards don't get any work done. I simply said that it would be better to focus more on Radeon 8000 than getting another 7000 card out at this time, especially considering that the 7990 is not going to sell much strictly because of the price.

Even if it had ten times more performance than the 7970 at only double the cost (which it won't for obvious reasons), the price is still going to be very high and most gamers simply couldn't afford it. Whether or not there is a different team working on Radeon 8000 doesn't matter. AMD must spend money on the 7990's R&D in order for it to come to market and that is money that is better spent in other ways.

EDIT: Also, the fact that some companies so far have been working on their own 7970X2 cards tells me that some companies would have made such cards regardless of AMD having a reference design for dual-GPU Tahiti cards.

geekchaser

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Look at all the haters... It's obvious that the 690 is about to get blown away and all the NVidea fan bois can do is throw pebbles.

geekchaser

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Look at all the haters... It's obvious that the 690 is about to get blown away and all the NVidea fan bois can do is throw pebbles.

[citation][nom]xtreme5[/nom]which one would be better for HARD-CORE gaming?HD 7990 vs GTX 690.I like 690 actually i'm not a fan of nvidia if you people thought that i'm.[/citation]
And just what do you base that assertion on? Hairs on the back of your neck? Chills down your spine? Verbal diarrhea?

Status
Not open for further replies.