Report: AMD Radeon R7-260X Pictured

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Pombrio

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Dang, the power connectors are at the end of the board, not at the top. That always puts a squeeze on smaller builds. One question, WHY?

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Kinda ugly, hate the 3 intake things sticking out, they should just have kept it all in the same height... Though might look better inside a system...

socialassassin

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
John Pombrio , September 24, 2013 10:43 AM
Dang, the power connectors are at the end of the board, not at the top. That always puts a squeeze on smaller builds. One question, WHY?

I'm looking for a card for my HTPC, it has to have the power connectors on the end for it to fit. I'm excited for this.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
Here's a challenge for the video card manufactures/AMD/Nvidia:

Start making single slot width cards that run at full spec and full speed!

Would b e nice to use the pci-e slot that's covered by my huge HSF unit. Would also be nice to have a good performing video card that wasn't a space heater.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished

I never understood why the power connectors are on top of the cards anyway, IMO it make cable management that little bit harder.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Many slim builds have vertical limitations (as social pointed out), even though they may technically accept full-height cards. So having them in the back is actually better in many situations.

Plus this board is relatively short, you shouldn't have issues with length in just about any case. If you did, you probably need a lighter-duty card with no additional connectors, probably half-height too.

Well it depends on the card and the case. For very long cards putting them on the top means it will fit more cases, because it frees up a good chunk of clearance. The connector and attached wires need a good bit of room.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Pity board makers don't include sockets both on the top and at the back of
cards, give one the choice of doing either, though I suppose the potential for
users to screw up the installation somehow would be a lot higher, and it'd
add to the cost.

Ian.

And I agree with you. However, I guess for me the real big kicker is after the titan style stock heatsinks came out from nvidia people were asking for amd to put out a more appealing heatsink and if this is is then they missed the mark.

So many things are wrong here... in the GPU market i mean.
From 1 Side, the names on those things keep changing all the time.
From another, the PCB layout of each publisher changes, never knowing if a cooler will be compatible.
Power requrements are givent in rounded up numbers, and most of all in Watts, not amps.

And worst part, relesed always before drivers are even past pre-alpha stage.

And then people are "suprised" that sales are not growing as they use to.
Well, make a good product, price it accorindly, and then whine about lower sales, not when you are trying to scam consumers, and then cry when they figure out you are not to be trusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.