Report: AMD Readying FX-8770 and FX-9000 CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger888

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Did a little looking around, turns out this might not be a late april 1'st. apparantly it might even outperform the 4770. (at a significant power handicap)

hmm, it's interesting to see a desktop chip throw performance per watt to the wind and shoot straight for raw power to target extreme enthusiasts.
if this can somehow match i5 stock performance, then good for AMD. I'm excited to see reviews. it should at least prompt Intel to be less lazy about desktop performance

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
No doubt AMD is doing this to fend off Haswell until their Steamroller cores are ready. Regardless, I think this is such a ridiculous product, obviously just an overclocked Vishera chip with the ridiculous TDP to boot. As if the FX-8350's TDP wasn't high enough, AMD wants to increase it even more. And, no doubt this will command a nice premium. Heck, just get an FX-8350 and run it at 4.8GHz, which a lot of folks seem to reach with a proper motherboard (and yes, I bet this will also require a good mobo to work with, so just get an FX-8350). Btw, I love AMD but I'll still criticize them if I think they're doing something stupid.

honestly for those with custom liquid loops (I'm looking to start one up again this year :) ), a little extra on the TDP and the all american power cost of something like $0.10 per kiloWatt hr, a power handicap is the last thing on my mind :p

I think it's literally a cherry picked FX-8350. and as much as I want to criticize AMD, they're finally thinking like Intel and their i7 3970K release. it sounds retarded, but they'll make some decent extra cash off of it. AMD's a business just like any other, and it's interesting to see them finally act like one for once

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Nothing more than a factory OC AMD FX-8350 out of the box. AMD FX-8350 with the right cooling can hit 5Ghz no problem. It might match intels 4770k factory but the FX-9000 has no head room to overclock at all. the 4770k has a lot of head room.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
AMD is certainly cooking up something for Computex, they hinted as much on their Facebook page a few days ago. Some think it's retail HD 8000 series GPU's to counter Nvidia's recent 700 series, but some leaks have suggested that they're skipping a refresh and going straight to 9000 branding on new architecture in Q4. Desktop Richland APU's are expected to come sometime in June last I checked, but AMD's Facebook hint sounded like something more major for Gamers then Richland, which is a very minor refresh of Trinity, probably only allowing most games to be played on low/medium. There have been some previous rumors of new Vishera CPU's coming this summer, utilizing the same upgrades to Piledriver as Richland, but I'm not so sure that this leak has actual details on those new Vishera 2.0 chips. FX 9000 breaks AMD's naming scheme, the first number is the number of cores, so FX-9000 would have 9 cores/4.5 modules? And that TDP sounds way too high, does an overclocked 8350 at 4.8 ghz even use anywhere near that much power? Sounds made up to me.

those 8 cores were overvolted so hard they had an orgy and squeezed out a baby :ouch:

there, I explained it ;)

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
build a system around an FX 9000 and some GTX480's (remember those things?) and a LEPA G1600 and you can heat your house at the same time! seriously 220W TDP?! that is just insane. I am a fan of AMD but holy crow i don't think there are many boards that can support such a high TDP. I was thinking that this was an announcement for the new Steamroller Architecture.
Maybe Tom's should get one for testing heat sinks

InvalidError

Titan

With those new CPUs, you can have both in one device!

I sort of miss my P4 for that - used to use it as a foot-warmer in winter. My Core2Duo and i5 are nowhere near warm enough to fill that role.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I'm struggling to figure out why they haven't moved to 28nm. That might knock some of those ridiculous numbers down a bit.
These will work great in Oregon (where I froze) but not in AZ where I'll be paying EVEN in the winter to cool the room with this PC in it. I'll take haswell (even though I'm not too impressed with paying for a gpu I never wanted nor will use), but may wait a while to see if they get the wattage down. I'm basically getting a hotter chip for what over ivy? Some crap GPU I don't want that runs up the watts and heat?? I guess we'll be calling AMD's chips PILEHOTS soon (remember the presshots?)?...LOL. Steamroller better come quick, be cool and have a MASSIVE cpu improvement.

Philippe Leblanc

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Why don't they just put out a piledriver refresh instead of these glorified space heaters? They're already doing that with their richland APUs. Basically those clock around 200Mhz higher in the same thermal envelope as trinity so obviously they've done some tweaking with piledriver. Besides, people who are able to overclock those high end FX processors can do so themselves with available tools.

Philippe Leblanc

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Why don't they just put out a piledriver refresh instead of these glorified space heaters? They're already doing that with their richland APUs. Basically those clock around 200Mhz higher in the same thermal envelope as trinity so obviously they've done some tweaking with piledriver. Besides, people who are able to overclock those high end FX processors can do so themselves with available tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.