News Report: AMD Ryzen 3 2300X Will Stop Being OEM-Only Next Month

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Maybe, though the 2200g is a little more expensive than the 1600AF.

That said, I guess if that ~$70 price is accurate, it's a weird tradeoff, $20 more to lose a little bit of boost speed, but get integrated Vega 8 graphics.

Seems like the 2300X finds itself in a weird position to try to slot itself into. But then if it goes lower still, it intrudes on Athlon 200/220/240/3000GE territory. Though, of course, the Athlons have Vega 3 graphics, vs requiring an add-in video card.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
AMD's low-end is getting exceedingly crowded, can't imagine the 2300X having much of a market next to the slightly more expensive yet vastly superior 1600AF. Hard to imagine anyone with any degree of tech-savviness (somewhat of a prerequisite when buying CPUs at retail instead of as part of an OEM pre-built) spending $200+ on a new PC skipping a $15 upgrade that would roughly double available performance.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 2300x needs to be no more than $50 to make any kind of sense.
Maybe $60... Once it gets to $50, then it's equal to the Athlon 3000G (though, available price seems to be $55 now, a little higher than its $50 release price).

As it is, the previous Athlons (200/220/240) are, insanely enough, all showing availability at HIGHER prices than the 3000G.

Assuming the 2x0GE are still available, they all have to drop in price somewhat, to maybe make room for the 3000G at $45 or so, and the 2300X at $60, if I were to guess.

A crowded environment at the low end, any which way you slice it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Maybe, though the 2200g is a little more expensive than the 1600AF.

That said, I guess if that ~$70 price is accurate, it's a weird tradeoff, $20 more to lose a little bit of boost speed, but get integrated Vega 8 graphics.

Seems like the 2300X finds itself in a weird position to try to slot itself into. But then if it goes lower still, it intrudes on Athlon 200/220/240/3000GE territory. Though, of course, the Athlons have Vega 3 graphics, vs requiring an add-in video card.
It makes sense for a budget gaming-centric build, and that's about it. I mean it's still a quad core Zen+ with a decent clock... it would drive an entry level 1650 or RX 570 nearly as well as a $150 chip. So if you're on a real budget, you could do worse for $70. Saves you some cash to put towards that dGPU, which is where you're going to see the most difference anyway.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't personally want one, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see one of these show up in a $500 budget gaming build competition entry.

Reactions: King_V

alextheblue

Distinguished
Well, the Ryzen 3 1200 really already intrudes onto 3000g pricing, both being around $50 maybe plus change.

Really the 2300x doesn't make sense to exist.
Where do you see 1200's for $50? They're getting rare. That aside, the 2300X offers: Better clocks (both stock and when overclocking), better RAM support, and Zen+.

a06220

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012
Well, Ryzen 1600AF is not available in Malaysia. Even online market like Shopee or Lazada sell Ryzen 1st gen at high price and low avaibility, so the 2300X is pretty much the sweetspot for these budget gamer builds.

Paired with a used GPU like R7 260x at $20 is a no-brainer for me.