News Report: AMD Ryzen 4000 Desktop CPUs Arriving in September Timeframe

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
This is certainly good news, as it's a month or two earlier than the rumoured October announcement. Makes waiting to scratch that upgrade itch a little more tolerable.

Reactions: King_V
This is certainly good news, as it's a month or two earlier than the rumoured October announcement. Makes waiting to scratch that upgrade itch a little more tolerable.
It could be that they will announce the lineup in September, with the processors not coming until later. The 3000-series was shown off in late May of last year, at which point they announced its July 7 release date.

Isn't Intel supposed to have a Comet Lake successor later this year? Not that I am holding my breath!
I'm really thinking that's a no. Probably not until Q2 of next year, at the earliest, as that's what most rumors have pointed toward.

Anandtech reported that AMD clarified in the FAD that EUV is not necessarily being used in the coming product.
Not necessarily, but not necessarily not either. What a great clarification. : P

Reactions: bit_user

Dsplover

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
Isn't Intel supposed to have a Comet Lake successor later this year? Not that I am holding my breath!

Yes, Tiger Lake which is looking to be a great low latency audio choice.
Intel CPUs only need more clock speed and cache to maintain single core domination.
These chips make Live Performers druel.

AMDs new unity cache design means lower latency also, but ideally a recording PC using 8/12 core AMD, and the Tiger Lake Quad for Live Performsnce.

Not an either or kind of user, I need both. They just seem to excell at different chores.

Were getting spoiled.

This is great news.
I just finished making my first Ryzen build in January (ASUS TUF X570 + 2700X). I got that 18 month old CPU for about $200 CDN. I was going to wait 2 years for the 3000 series equivalent to be available at that price.
This way I can replace my Crucial P1 NVMe boot drive (PCIe 3.0) with a PCIe 4.0 one.

Now, if the 4000 series is available at the end of 2020, I should be able to push that up to mid 2021 (hopefully).

Plus that means early 2023 to replace that 3000 series with a 4000 series.

And for me i'm kinda curious about the 600 series chipset. I wonder if you will be able to clock the IF higher and if the chipset will be passively cooled.
If I had to guess, the chipset will probably be passively cooled. I suspect one of the main reasons it's not with X570 is that PCIe 4.0 capable chipsets were not yet available from manufacturers like ASMedia, so AMD had to design their own. From what I've heard, the X570 chipset may actually utilize the same IO chip used in Ryzen 3000-series processors, just manufactured on a 14nm process rather than 12nm. While PCIe 4.0 may play a role in increasing power consumption, I would think that a chipset from the usual manufacturers might be a bit more efficient.

I wonder if AMD decided to just skip mid-range and lower boards entirely this generation, leaving B450 and A320 to fill those roles. The current processors have already been out for over 9 months, with the next generation likely coming within the next 6 month or so. Perhaps they'll just hold off on a motherboard lineup refresh until near the release of the 4000-series, so that they can guarantee compatibility with the new processors at launch.

Reactions: Makaveli