Report: AMD to Release R9 280X on October 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Is it possible to get some crossfire benchmarks on the new radeons compared to the current GTX offering when they finally get released.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
"... AMD didn't actually when we ..."

(I think 'say' or 'state' is missing from this sentence...)

Presumably, useful benchmarks would depend on the availability of functional
drivers, which as yet are not fully available for all situations. It might be better
to wait until AMD has sorted out DX9/EyeFinity support, etc., otherwise we'll
just have people complaining that any tests results will be invalid when the drivers
get updated, demanding fresh tests.

I'm just hoping for some hefty NVIDIA price cuts, and also maybe then some lower
valuations of used 7970s. :)

Ian.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
7970 = refresh R9-280X, nothing to get excited about. This is nothing more than GTX770 refresh of the GTX680. We shall only go YAY for the R9-290x that competes with the GTX780. AMD cores are far from equal to Nvidia cores, memory 512bit can't save it and give it the crown. But.... This is make Nvidia drop there prices alittle. Maybe $50

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Anyone see the claimed gigaflop rating for the 290x? 6600 gigaflops! Humm, that appears way to high. I figured mature 28nm yields at TSCM would increase flop per watt, but that rating is just awesome! For comparison the Titan is 4500 and the 7970(GHz edition) 4300.

"no benchmarks yet?"

The article is about the lift date of the Non-Disclosure Agreement. That means that right now, no benchmarks can be released. As the article states:

"the NDA on 280X will be lifted on October 8th. VC says that this is when reviewers are allowed to publish their reviews"

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Well, asap means what it means, rather than 'right now', so I'll leave it to toms & other sites
to post data when they're allowed and when driver caveats mean it's the sensible thing to do.
Nothing worse than posting data that's out of date and thus of little use in helping people
make sensible buying decisions. I've been benching lots of older cards in SLI/CF, but I've
stopped until AMD sorts out CF issues with DX9 support, otherwise I'd just end up with
numbers which don't reflect later reality.

Ian.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I am just going to assume AMD has learnt it's lesson, and has fully hardware/software tested it's Xfire solutions for frametime and stutter issues.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I'm not going to complain about rebrands as long as they're increasing performance and lowering prices. If the r9-280x is *just* a slightly faster 7970ghz edition for $300, I'm completely cool with that. And if the r9-290x is indeed faster than (or even equal to) gf-titan for $600, well the cheapest 780s are $650 on newegg right now.

Titan is $1000, 780s are $650, 770s are $400, and 760s are $250. AMD is posing to undercut prices at those performance tiers by $400, $200, $100, and $50, respectively. This will get prices back to where they should be with mid-range cards like a 760 or 270x below $200, high-end cards like a 770 or 280x below $300, and top-end enthusiast cards in the $400-600 range.

Now if only Intel would release a 6-core CPU for less than $350 I could get some real value from a $1000-1500 build next spring/summer instead of having to choose between my wallet and mediocre performance.

sleepyman

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
There are a lot of nvidia users with three monitors and SLI systems who play only DX9 games writing comments today. I hope they are planning to upgrade their Kepler based systems before "Next Gen" games come out and developers use OpenCL and Mantle to midigate the fact that console CPUs are horrible.

Always ahead of themselves..... Their "fully optimized hardware" lacks fully optimized software that works properly.

Soggybottoms

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Yeah I read you there - Have my build planned already, Waiting on Benchmarks from the r9-2xx series to start showing up before I click the all might submit order button.................
Just a few more day I hope

Soggybottoms

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Yeah I read you there - Have my build planned already, Waiting on Benchmarks from the r9-2xx series to start showing up before I click the all might submit order button.................
Just a few more day I hope

Status
Not open for further replies.