Report: AMD to Replace FM1 with FM2, AM3 with AM3+ in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I will commend AMD for staying true to their socket design all these years.. It has made upgrades a breeze! However some change is good change ( as long as they don't change like intel has consistently over the past years.) a new socket design will allow more aggressive design and bring AMD up from the ashes.. ( wouldn't mind seeing a socket 1207 high end ...

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Bravo to AMD, how long they kept am3? I started with a ASRock Mobo am2+/am3, I used the same mobo with 3 processors, an athlon ii x2, phenom ii x4 and phenom x6.... And i think that mobo had the possibility of running FX processor with a bios flash... When I switched to intel i knew that i wasnt going to have the same path of upgradability as i had with AMD... Am3 was the 775 of amd...

highly doubt they would replace fm2. customers would be steamed when amd promised to keep it.

doubt they would replace amd3+ next year as well. asus at CES announced a pci-e 3 990fx sabertooth board. and it would be at least 2014 before AMD launches steamroller

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Hello.. AMD.. time to move out of this marketing practice and make money. Phase them out completely and from here on no socket should last for more than 2 years. You made a good progress with Vishera so now make better progress with the successor and compete with Intel. No need to have old CPU competing with new ones simply because they ran on the same socket. Stop losing money by making better business and marketing decisions.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]FM1 was already replaced by FM2.....and AM3 was already replaced by AM3+..... How is this news "new" when it already happened?[/citation]

It's news because now it's official that AMD will phase those older sockets out. Better for them imo. Time to limit the life of sockets to 2 years max and keep on improving their CPUs to compete with Intel instead of losing money to their own cheap, used to be good CPUs that still suck power like no one's business.

raptorkill

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
I agree with sykozis, they aren't replacing them as much as they are phasing them out. I for one have been waiting on a Motherboard with Pcie 3.0, hope they bring one out soon!

mafisometal

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
[citation][nom]Stimpack[/nom]Well, that's good news for me and many others.[/citation]

not necessarily, because pci-e 3.0 doesn't really have a big noticeable improvement worth upgrading a motherboard. so far pci-e 3.0 hasn't really given me any reason to upgrade. The performance difference is like 3-5fps on most games, and while running crossfireX i don't see any improvement at all. Unless games utilize the string for 3.0 which none have, it's pretty much pointless.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]therefore you end up throwing away your am3 board[/citation]

it would be nice if you knew your facts first. I don't own an am3 board I still have an am2+ board with a amd phenom II processor.

yep. you still have to get a new board for the newer chips. ddr2 is limited by the fact that its basically discontinued and the fact that they dont make high density modules. and the odds of a maunfacturer putting out a update for steamroller on a board that was originally designed for athlon 64 x2 is almost zero

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Having two constant desktop sockets is STUPID. This is another reason to go intel. Neither of these currents Chipsets support PCIexpress 3.0. AM3 should be phased out now. Oddly, current FM2 boards use the same chipset as FM1 boards and are not pin compatible with each other.

AMD is doing stupid things.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]horaciopz[/nom]Am3 was the 775 of amd...[/citation]AM3 is/was much better than 775. Take a system originally equipped with a Socket 775 Pentium 4 and try upgrading to a Socket 775 Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad. With AM3 99% of the time you can flash the BIOS and run the latest AM3+ chips. With early Socket 775 systems 99% of the time you're f'd.

In other words, you have to look beyond how many years a Socket has been in service, and look at whether or not it actually supports chips released later.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]raptorkill[/nom]I agree with sykozis, they aren't replacing them as much as they are phasing them out. I for one have been waiting on a Motherboard with Pcie 3.0, hope they bring one out soon![/citation]PCIe 2.0 holding you back, huh? :p

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]AM3 is/was much better than 775. Take a system originally equipped with a Socket 775 Pentium 4 and try upgrading to a Socket 775 Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad. With AM3 99% of the time you can flash the BIOS and run the latest AM3+ chips. With early Socket 775 systems 99% of the time you're f'd.In other words, you have to look beyond how many years a Socket has been in service, and look at whether or not it actually supports chips released later.[/citation]

And the last one, AM2+ was the same way. I got my 780G mobo when they first came out, along with a dual core 4600+ from a friend. I ran that and then later, among other upgrades, a 720 BE x3. I never really do entire new builds just get a new part every now and again - whatever seems to need it most. Once I literally just got the HAF 922 I'm using now and made no other changes.

The only reason I'm even on an AM3+ now (Crosshair V) is because I saw what CPU/mobos were going for on ebay so now I have a thuban six core. I'm about to sell the resulting extra stuff and some other stuff I got basically for free and come out even after the dust settles besides RAM. I was originally planning on getting a haswell cpu and mobo/ram later in the year, and I still might. But it would be fairly tempting to just add whatever CPU amd comes out with next to this.

Point is, for awhile now AMD has been making it really easy to do drop in upgrades. Compare the multiple intel sockets that have come out during the twilight years of am2+/the beginning of am3 which are already dead. I'm certain that when haswell will also have its own socket, even with how recent ivy bridge was.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]AM3 is/was much better than 775. Take a system originally equipped with a Socket 775 Pentium 4 and try upgrading to a Socket 775 Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad. With AM3 99% of the time you can flash the BIOS and run the latest AM3+ chips. With early Socket 775 systems 99% of the time you're f'd.In other words, you have to look beyond how many years a Socket has been in service, and look at whether or not it actually supports chips released later.[/citation]

Same chipset? NO. Most boards offer the same chipset but a new chipset can be used, do your research.

AM3+ is for the CPU only, for users looking to use a discrete gpu while the fm2 socket is for the APUs for users that want decent graphics for work or customer builds who dont require much.

The fact that AMD does not release a new socket every cpu release is why I like them. Sure, intel is better as far as raw performance goes but that does not mean they need a new socket every release.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Except that AMD had released FM2 boards that are not compatible with FM1 CPUs, even thou they are using the exact same chipset! This is a problem for upgradability. If you want native usb3.0 you need an FM board. If you later decide you want to get a new "8 core" CPU, you'd have to get a new $100 motherboard (give or take ). If you want a system with PCIexpress 3.0, AMD won't have that until 2014... Late... Maybe 2015?!? ( note: AMD makes PCIe 3.0 graphics cards ).

I prefer to use AMD when I can. But intel CPUs use less power, less heat, better stock coolers and a fare more flexible socket 1155 that works with $50 CPUs up to the $300 models.

I am a system builder, the FMx vs AM3 is STUPID. All CPUs should have built in graphics core. Stick with a single chipset and socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.