Report: AMD Working on Radeon R9 280 Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Given that the R9-280x is a Tahiti card, it wouldn't make much sense for the R9-280 to use Hawaii, no matter how cut down it is. We're almost certainly just looking at another HD7950. Hopefully this one won't be driven up to 2-3 times standard price by Litecoin miners, eh?

jin_mtvt

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
What does it change if it is a re-badge or not ? What is important is performance/quality VS price ratio. That is a valid value from birth of product up to its disappearance from the market. We all know AMD doesn't have anything new for now to offer,is it bad if they "shuffle" their current offerings to possibly fill up current needs ?

Nilo BP

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
I'm starting to wonder what comes after GCN 1.1. Hawaii is, by most reasonable standards, a power hog - and it still gets beaten by the cooler GK110. With Maxwell around the corner and TSMC focusing on low power consumption in the next process node... well, I hope AMD can get beyond the rebadges pretty soon.

honestly i hope to see 20nm gpu towards the end of this year. just hoping both company will not drag it into 2015

InvalidError

Titan

Rebadging tricks uneducated people into thinking that those rebadged units are new in some way and those rebadges usually carry a premium for a while just because of their new name. Personally, I consider it a dishonest or at the very least questionable business practice. Same goes for mobile parts that borrow model numbers from desktop parts a few rungs higher on the performance ladder.

The misleading numbering practices cause tons of completely unnecessary confusion.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Here's an idea for AMD. How about they start making cards for miners which provide the compute performance but are otherwise nerfed for gamers. Then making gaming cards that are nerfed for miners.Then gamers can buy their cards without having the miners inflate the price, and vice versa. This will also allow Nvidia to drop their prices, as with the current AMD prices, Nvidia has no incentive.

Simple. Try finding an HD7950?

There is no competition to the GTX760. So even considering this a rebadge, its still a good release.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I'd like to buy an AMD card right now, but since the coin-miners have caused huge shortages, they are overpriced by 20-35% right now.. I can wait.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
So now instead of creating newer and better cards, they've resigned themselves to rebadging older cards, so the bit coin miners acn swoop them all up, forcing retailers to increase the prices by 150-300%.Nvidia, you have a new fan.

well at this moment there is no reason to reduce the price since everything seems to be working for them. we thought that AMD will get more market share with the mining craze but instead nvidia were stealing more market share from AMD last quarter. also with the radeon price got jack up because of the mining the once considered as overpriced brand become much better choice for gamer

InvalidError

Titan

The retailers are not "forced" to increase prices. They choose to increase prices because supply is so scarce compared to current demand their inventory still sells even at those higher prices.

And the increase is only 20-70% depending on models: $100-110 models are selling at $120-140, ~$300 models are selling at ~$400-500. None of those are anywhere near 150% increases.

Dirk_Funk

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Rebadging tricks uneducated people into thinking that those rebadged units are new in some way and those rebadges usually carry a premium for a while just because of their new name. Personally, I consider it a dishonest or at the very least questionable business practice. Same goes for mobile parts that borrow model numbers from desktop parts a few rungs higher on the performance ladder.The misleading numbering practices cause tons of completely unnecessary confusion.
Anyone THAT uneducated is not building a pc. You just have to be educated enough to google search a review of the card you are considering buying, and the first few paragraphs will problem mention its a rebadge. There's no tricks involved, and there isn't even always a premium. The 280x is a slightly underclocked 7970 and it launched at a cheaper price than the 7970. I feel like this argument is made just because people like seeing brand new gpu's and are bored by only seeing a couple new gpu's every series. This isn't entertainment guys, its computer hardware. It still gets the job done.

InvalidError

Titan

It wastes tons of money and energy on completely unnecessary marketing that most people would much prefer seeing spent on R&D or lower prices, mostly for the sake of having press releases to feed to shareholders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS