Report: Apple Considering Switch Away from Intel CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So here comes another software incompatibility on MACs.. first from the move from Power PC to Intel CPU now this :), ofc they will charge money again for the new software and god knows what for hardware.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
They wont be able to make x86 compatible hardware. Intel wont license that.
They can make only ARM chips. Added advantage : OSX for ARM incompatible with x86 hardware. So people who want new OS, have to buy new hardware.
EPIC WIN

G

Once upon a time the Motorola 68000 series compared very favorably to their 286/386/486 contemporaries, and the early IBM PowerPCs could beat the Pentiums clock for clock, but the architecture started to fall behind around the year 2000 and was so thoroughly obsolete by 2006 that Apple had no choice but to go x86.

Today, however, Apple really doesn't care about performance. The new desktop with an iPad CPU in it would have a brushed aluminium case, a glowing LED Apple logo, and millions of people will happily shell out $3000 for it even if it takes half an hour to open a .jpg

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Will whatever Apple makes be able to handle multi-media editing? If they're going the ARM route, I don't think its architecture has enough performance for real-time editing. Unless they make an APU.

Just a thought.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Yeah Apple. Be a good lad and go with AMD, and save the industry.

ARM whatever won't even get near the same performance Intel or AMD can give you.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]Yeah Apple. Be a good lad and go with AMD, and save the industry.ARM whatever won't even get near the same performance Intel or AMD can give you.[/citation]

This is true - the move from PPC to x86 was painless because of the huge increase in performance from their old architecture to x86. Unfortunately, it will be a very painful and poor performance path. If I know Apple, they may not even include an x86 emulator and tell users to learn to love it.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I saw this coming. I've posted about it on here before. Apple loves the idea of going vertical with their business. They want to control the supply chain in addition to the sales channels they currently operate with their digital and physical stores. I would not be surprised at all to see Apple move away from Intel in the next 5 years. They don't care so much about performance anymore. It's all about battery life and design these days.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
If Apple ditches x86, you can officially mark the event as the day Apple started it's journey away from world-class tech company back to niche tech company (what they once were). It'll be a nice tidy, uniform, pretty ecosystem, that will sell to a limited group of very loyal users.

It's looking increasingly like Apple is destined to return to the company it was in the 90's, only with today's tech (mobile devices) as it's bread and butter.

G

Then I will continue with Windows machines as my current computer is super fast hackintosh at half price of mackintosh

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]Isn't an ARM core inside these chips? If yes, they are licesing it, not developing it.[/citation]

They license like other vendors ARM's architecture but then make changes to it with their engineering team to make something slightly different.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
x86 is no longer a push-point. With so many cloud-based services for satisfying most general uses, x86 programs are less and less relevant. Not entirely, of course, and not relevant to the enthusiast/niche users (graphical processing, rendering, etc.).

Regardless, this is nothing more than a rumor. If Apple is migrating away from x86-based processors/systems, I expect it won't be for quite some time still.

G

Another epic yet ignorant move. Apple is intent on isolating itself. Every five years or so, Apple decides to think different in a fit of ignorance and stupidity. Oh well.

So many people have short memories of what happened the last time Apple told Intel to shove it.

ARM? ROTFLMAO. 10 bil and dethrone Intel? What brainchild figured that one out? 10 bil for R&D doesn't begin to cover it. Not even close.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Who cares? They both sell over-priced products. They both have iron-fisted business practices and try to stifle competitition through evil means. (I wonder if Intel also makes money off of the broken backs of the poor like Apple).

G

The MAC OS X is not capable compete with new iOS devices and it is going to be ditched in faivour of new iPad MAXI 46'' Full HD product line, it is going to be the best choice for computer professionals and corporate users, it should drive Apple's capitalization up to $2 TRLN.

milk_inc

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
PPl that said they should buy amd or go with amd, maybe are something similar, they fire some person of amd working on kernel linux, maybe there is a move to work in apple and doesn't like someone have information related to apple and linux, just speculations but can be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS