Report: Apple Looking to AMD for Future Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Just keep in mind that as a huge personal computer maker (yes, PC), Apple has access to CPU roadmaps and engineering samples that we do not. Maybe AMD has some kick ass CPU/GPU fusion combo down the line.

Besides that, The new 13" MBP may be a leading indicator that Apple is showing that they are willing to use a slower C2D cpu in order to get a better integrated graphics solution than is possible from Intel. This is obviously a market segment that AMD should be able to address -- combine a mediocre x86 cpu with a very capable ATI integrated gpu.

Oh, and Mac Mini. Nuff said.

Anyways, I look forward to AMD vanilla kernals :p

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
crazy to imagine the boost in media attention this will bring, not so much for Apple, but AMD. AMD's biggest problem has always been public recognition and advertising. Just by making this move the shear amount of free press Apple commands and the public image and recognition AMD would receive could be bigger than any product triumph or settlement AMD could ever garnish from Intel.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
so apparently apple is tired of paying 200-300 bucks per cpu... and since no one is buying their macbooks anymore except the diehard mac fans maybe a cheaper cpu will allow apple to drop their prices to below 1100 bucks.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
What better way to have sub-par performance while gouging customers for more money. With AMD they can have processors that performs worse than Core 2 or Nahalem and have a lower build cost while they keep the price the same. As a business tactic it makes sense. The majority of their target won't notice the difference as long as it looks pretty.

I like AMD for certain tasks, but if I'm spending that kind of cash I want Intel... or Power 7. :)

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Why would anyone want to use NVIDIA chipsets anyway? They're notoriously bad and buggy. Apple would want to use one, why?

This doesn't make sense. Intel makes much better processors, especially for notebooks. Maybe Apple is looking for ATI graphics cards. That makes a lot more sense than using AMD processors. Their GPUs are very well received and generally considered superior, their processors are not. Apple isn't a low-end brand. They'll stick with Intel processors until AMD has something more competitive.

G

Last time Apple looked to Intel when AMD had the lead, and everybody asked "why?". I bet Apple knows something we don't, like the possibility that AMD Fusion CPUs will be a complete game-changer. Since the stream-processors are connected directly to the cores, instead of through hypertransport, it's possible that the cores can schedule work on them without any intervention from the programmer(like L3 cache that actually does work). This could mean that AMD would have a vast performance lead.

Report that AMD has already sent Fusion CPUs to partners(possibly Apple):

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20100415232058_AMD_Ships_Llano_Samples_Shipping_to_Customers_Plans_to_Initiate_Production_in_Late_2010.html

majorgeek

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I think they would be wise to make the switch to AMD, after all they offer the complete solution CPU/GPU. I say let Intel and Nvidia fight it out in court over the chipset crap, Apple has computers to sell, and just wait until Bulldozer arrives!!!!! Apple/AMD looks good to me

"The Future is Fusion"

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
So, Apple is going to buy cheaper CPUs? I'm sure it's not to increase the profit margin.

But, it will be good for AMD, presuming Apple actually actually acknowledges the switch.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
They were really after nvidia integrated graphics. The fastest kind of integrated graphics that were available with intel stuff. They just had to get nvidia chipsets with it. AMD chipsets and integrated graphics are excellent and that could easily be what they're really after.

Especially after that macbook relaunch where the smallest one was a C2D simply because that way they didn't have to have a discrete graphics card in it.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]razercultmember1[/nom]Intel should just merge with nvidia to pwn sum amd nubs[/citation]

They can't. Nvidia is NOT an American company, intel simply would not be allowed to buy them due to the many licensing issues that would crop up.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
It will be cheaper for them and hopefully cheaper for us. Plus AMD deserves some more market share especially with how stupid Intel has been lately.

kageryu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
"It will be cheaper for them and hopefully cheaper for us" This is Apple we're talking about. The company needs profit @_@ Apple tax for all even with AMD processors.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]What better way to have sub-par performance while gouging customers for more money. With AMD they can have processors that performs worse than Core 2 or Nahalem and have a lower build cost while they keep the price the same. As a business tactic it makes sense. The majority of their target won't notice the difference as long as it looks pretty.I like AMD for certain tasks, but if I'm spending that kind of cash I want Intel... or Power 7.[/citation]

Buy a Phenom II X6 and then come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.