News Report: Apple VR Could Have 8K, Cost $3,000

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
New chip architecture... VR headsets... a car produced w/ Kia... They are over-extending themselves. There's like 5 different versions of their iOS software now, each with their own recurrent bugs. The software dev teams are fragmented and their portfolio keeps expanding. Something's gotta give.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The variable resolution feature combined with custom Apple silicon makes for some serious potential here. Those are killer software and hardware features. High resolution where you need it, and computing power designed for VR rather than plucked from an assembly line producing chips aimed at phones.

Assuming this device is to be tethered to a computer, how does Apple get AMD and Nvidia to make driver optimizations though? I can't see an Apple-built chip being powerful enough to provide enough graphics power. I also can't see Apple building a gaming ecosystem that can compete with established players like Steam and Oculus.

We need a few more "killer apps" for VR. Half Life Alyx is one. That's not enough.

TimmyP777

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Why? God these articles are dumb. Really hope people start picking up on Apple's advertising tactics soon!

fireaza

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
So I'm expected to buy $3k VR headset for what... Apple News and Apple Arcade?
If it’s anything like what happened with Oculus, Valve will offer to make their headsets compatible with Apple’s platform (and vice-versa), and if they refuse, Valve will manually add support for Apple’s headset to SteamVR.

TRENDING THREADS