Report: Asus Contemplating Toshiba Acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Well my opinion is that Toshiba will gain some "character" hardwarewise through it if it happens. Ive alwyas had Toshiba as a company with not ghigh quality or promising hardware company. I wouldnt buy me a Laptop of theirs for example... When Asus have been most my Mobos etc due to quality. An Asus defined Laptop wouldnt sound bad to me. More than that im not capable to comment on as I dont know the actual status of each company.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
ASUS... sometimes "great" hardwares and sometime piece of c***.

I remember fews parts of hardware I buy from Asus... and I was so desappointed.

1.AGP Asus ATI 9800 XT. The card just freeze after 1-2 days up. I paid 40$ for return the card to Asus. Few weeks after they return me the card, "We don't find the problem.". Actually, they just connect the card and see something on the screen... NEXT... :(

2.P5E motherboard (FBS 1333), 2 year after I buy a new CPU Intel E8400 (FBS 1333). The CPU is written in the support list in Asus website so he'll work!. Fact: The Cpu doesn't works on the mb :) Thank Asus.

3.My bro buy a PCI-E Geforce N6600. I never see a more crappy graphic card... The card doesn't support lastest Geforce drivers. For support Direct X 3D, he need the original drivers from Windows XP disk else the card just freeze in 3D.

Toshiba is great hardware but you really paid a high price...

Upendra09

Distinguished
^+1 since he said FBS instead of FSB
u really know what your talking about don't ya

If Asus took over Toshiba we would lose a very reliable brand but get an even better brand of laptops, However, we would also get premium charges

My first thought based on the title of this article alone, "Bull crap. Toshiba is bigger than Asus."

Didn't think Asus would simply try to buy a portion of Toshiba. The title was a bit misleading. Either way though, Toshiba and Asus are both incredible brands. I'd buy just about any product from either of them if it was a hardware/tech item.

[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]2.P5E motherboard (FBS 1333), 2 year after I buy a new CPU Intel E8400 (FBS 1333). The CPU is written in the support list in Asus website so he'll work!. Fact: The Cpu doesn't works on the mb Thank Asus.

3.My bro buy a PCI-E Geforce N6600. I never see a more crappy graphic card... The card doesn't support lastest Geforce drivers. For support Direct X 3D, he need the original drivers from Windows XP disk else the card just freeze in 3D.Toshiba is great hardware but you really paid a high price...[/citation]

1. Did you update the F@##ing BIOS for the motherboard before you put the new CPU in.

2. WTF does a nVidia card have anything to do with ASUS? nVidia made the GPU not ASUS.

3. ASUS was ranked #1 in Computer Reliability Report. See: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/asus_ranks_highest_computer_reliability_report

===================
Anyways, I'm all for more laptops with ASUS quality. Now only if Gigabyte bought off....never mind.

MrJbot

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I think a having Toshiba and ASUS pool combine power and sales would lead to some very powerful laptops, and on the flip side some good entree level systems in the $400 to $500 range. It would be sad to lose the competition in the market but i think we would see more good than bad.

krispy104

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I have never been a fan of Toshiba, everyone of them I have had has been a piece. If Asus does acquire them it would probly be a good thing.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Toshiba fails to impress me consistently, while Asus leaves me wowed. I am typing this on an Asus laptop. Much better/nicer than the Toshiba's I've owned. Hopefully this will not dilute the quality that Asus provides. I hope it doesn't happen...

beckstrom12

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Upendra09[/nom]^+1 since he said FBS instead of FSBu really know what your talking about don't yaIf Asus took over Toshiba we would lose a very reliable brand but get an even better brand of laptops, However, we would also get premium charges[/citation]

I don't think that this is true. I work at Best Buy and Toshiba and Asus are very similarly priced. This news makes me laug because those two brands have always been my favorite.

joshthor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
cool for me. i am a vendor for toshiba at my local air force base so i would love to start selling asus too, which i actually like.

G

So far, toshiba never dissapoints. but asus on the otherhand, is nowhere near the quality and reputation of toshiba's products. let's hope this acquisition makes asus better, and not make toshiba worse. seriously i hope that.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Well, Toshiba is huge.. i mean like real huge... i had to read the article a second time to make sure... thankfully, u mentioned only the laptop division... which is far more believable... but then, i'm sure the technologies in toshiba's laptop came from a different source in toshiba's huge company... like their TV/monitor business and etc... i wonder if it will be profitable for Asus at all...

Btw, Asus is a nice brand.. their laptop and toshiba's are priced at almost the same level... to be honest, i dont really like toshiba's laptop.. most of em are ugly and big... if this go through, it will be interesting... but the downside is, 1 less competition in the market...

G

You would want to be a moran to belive that Toshiba would sell to Asus a nothing brand out side of the netbooks !

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Toshfan[/nom]You would want to be a moran to belive that Toshiba would sell to Asus a nothing brand out side of the netbooks ![/citation]

A nothing brand? ASUS makes a lot of the better notebooks on the market right now... and they're a major motherboard manufacturer. They're a big company with a good reputation.
Also, it's spelled "moron."

G

Just as long as they are not creating a monopoly, and the prices of notebooks/netbooks will drop even more, I'm ok with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.