Report: Asus' ProArt PA328Q Pricing and Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maturity is the big thing I think a lot of us are waiting on:

30Hz is simply unacceptable on a computer, so we need to see 60Hz panels like this across the board.
Scaling is another issue. Either we need better scaling technologies built into all OSs or we need to see some larger 36-42" monitors coming out that can take full advantage of the resolution without the need of more than a 125% scaling. Newer programs will be built to scale better, but there are a lot of older programs and websites that simply will not be replaced or redesigned over the next 10+ years.
Then there is the GPU issue. Sure, 1080p on a 32" 4K display looks OK... but you can do that equally as easy on a small TV or large 1440p display without nearly as many odd issues. GPUs need to start supporting HDMI2, and they need to get fast enough to deliver a solid and consistent 30-60fps at 4K. And the GPUs themselves will need to hit that sub $500 mark while delivering that kind of performance.

Last but not least is price. $1750 is really not that bad of a price for what it is, but that is not the full price. You will need another $1-2000 in GPU hardware to push the display bringing the cost closer to $4000 when it come to being particularly useful. Fast forward a year from now and we will have a new generation of GPUs which will be much more capable at driving 4K displays at lower price points, or with a single card setup. Plus the display tech itself is going to drop in price dramatically for the next few years. I would expect the total cost to drop almost 50% over this next year before prices start to stabilize at all. Even if I had the money I would not particularly want to see that kind of depreciation, especially as the display tech continues to mature with better inputs, better displays, and better controllers being implemented.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
4K is not ready for the mainstream really. Cost is high, very little content, connection issues (GPU from the future comment was great noting no HDMI 2.0 exists yet), and there are plenty of really good monitors on the market today.

As a gamer I would not use a 60Hz 4K panel to game on - not after using an 120Hz IPS for the last 3 years. Yes, 4K is beautiful no doubt, but it is way early in its development to be so hyped over it.

Manufacturers are slamming 4K down our throats since consumers never really drank the 3D Koolaid. 8K is also around the corner you know . . . sheesh.

tryingmybest

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

What is the model of your ips monitor? I never seen 120 hz ips monitor..

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Dell's monitor 4K monitor is still around the 3K range and 30" 2560x1600 is around 1-1.5K. This should put some pressure on them as well as HP.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

What is the model of your ips monitor? I never seen 120 hz ips monitor..

Toms has just done an article/review on one...the Overlord Tempest 27" IPS 120Hz 1440p - and...it's dirt cheap for what it is!

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Maybe in 5 or six years. My current build will go into an HTPC enclosure and go on the TV for multimedia and gaming... I use my desktop for anything else less and less these days.

tryingmybest

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

Lol, the guy claimed he has been using one for three years.

Thanks for the link :)

Status
Not open for further replies.