Report: Best Buy Might Buy GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
So Circuit City lost to the competition and now Best Buy wants to take out the single biggest game competitor, GameStop. Sure GameStop isn't the most popular of places among readers here from what I've gathered in other articles but they have never treated me wrongly. And Best Buy's prices and crap and will continue to worse as the competition gets eaten up by the big fish.

Newegg forever.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]So Circuit City lost to the competition and now Best Buy wants to take out the single biggest game competitor, GameStop. Sure GameStop isn't the most popular of places among readers here from what I've gathered in other articles but they have never treated me wrongly. And Best Buy's prices and crap and will continue to worse as the competition gets eaten up by the big fish.Newegg forever.[/citation]
There is always Newegg, Amazon and Steam.

taiso

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
haha does that mean i get staff price at game stop now as well? (i work at future shop). but seriously though i think best buy is becoming a monopoly in both electronic retail and games.

uronacid

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
No way, my wife works for gamestop. This would be terrible considering the comments stemming from BestBuy employees about their working conditions.

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
I think It's dumb. They should focus on creating an online distribution system, or teaming up with Steam. The games's brick and mortar shops will slowly die in like 10-20 years time.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Well, I'm not sanguine about such a merger. However, as Pei-chen pointed out, there are alternatives. Newegg and Amazon for mail-order. Walmart for in-town purchase. Steam for online-download purchase.

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Wonder if Best Buy is doing this as a retaliation to Wal-Mart for picking up their electronics section.

Wasn't there a quote from Wal Mart saying they wanted to replace Circuit City and Best Buy?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
My vote is Nay! Simply cause I would like the option of choosing who to do my business with. With all these companies out there merging or taking over it cuts into consumers options. Pretty soon, if this keeps up, I and others will not have an option. The worst thing I can think of in this world is not having a choice.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I think this is bad news... Best Buy screws up pre-orders and don't do crap about it. "Oh well, we don't have it"...I had all but written them off (for games) after the 3rd time. Gamestop has never disappointed me with anything. Hope its more of a merger and they are still an independent branch or something.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ya Best Buy and GameStop...a perfect match in company greed, they both overcharge and have low level personnel, BUT they must have good management/advertising to be doing so well.

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Welcome to World 2.0, everybody. Where physical business's new competition is Internet. There's no such thing as "BBY vs CCY" it's not, Big-Box retail vs. Convenient, bought-in-bulk online orders. I like it, personally. But, until shipping and product transportation increases it's sophistication, there will always be a place for big-box.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I hear a lot of bad stuff about GameStop, and I've seen it completely take over all the other video game shops in town (literally, bought them out then moved into their spaces). There would be little love lost if GS was bought out and ceased being an independent entity for me. On the other hand, BestBuy isn't really much better from a consumer standpoint, and reducing competition through buy-outs is one of the problems I had with GS in the first place.

Meh. Couldn't happen to a nicer company, but I still don't like it.

macrimmon12

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Gamestop is part of Barnes and Noble booksellers currently - theres been no news so far to stockholders about any sell-off of it. And honestly, owning Gamestop is a great thing for B&N - between GameStop and B&N stores, the have distribution outlets for all major types of media - print, music, film, and video games. B&N is in no kind of financial trouble - no store closings, no mass layoffs. I can't see any evidence that this is anything more than a colorful rumor. B&N is currently adding more integration in BN.com for Gamestop materials - an expense that would be unlikely in the face of an upcoming sell-off.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I've worked at both for years. They run VERY different. GS thinks that upper management is why it makes all its money. BB undrestands that its employee's that make the money. Either way, both suck ass at retaining employees and both are horrible and holdinig the right people responsible. The profit margin in used games will KILLLLLLLLLLLLL your new IP's FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.