Report: Best Buy Might Buy GameStop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]macrimmon12[/nom]Gamestop is part of Barnes and Noble booksellers currently - theres been no news so far to stockholders about any sell-off of it. And honestly, owning Gamestop is a great thing for B&N - between GameStop and B&N stores, the have distribution outlets for all major types of media - print, music, film, and video games. B&N is in no kind of financial trouble - no store closings, no mass layoffs. I can't see any evidence that this is anything more than a colorful rumor. B&N is currently adding more integration in BN.com for Gamestop materials - an expense that would be unlikely in the face of an upcoming sell-off.[/citation] Barnes and Nobles sold their stake in gamestop 10 years ago.... time to get updated news bud.

Well that's bad. Personally I don't like Gamestop, but lots of gamers do. Even so Best Buy could gain the ability to dictate which games sell, and which don't if they control enough of the market and advertise aggressively. Influencing what games sell influences what gets developed, and I don't know about you but I sure don't want the management of Best Buy doing that :D.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
It kind of doesn't matter at this point. If current trends continue the next game system out the door will be internet connected with downloadable games being a primary vehicle.

Best Buy purchasing GS right now would just speed up the dismise of GS and other type of outlets like GS.

macrimmon12

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]Barnes and Nobles sold their stake in gamestop 10 years ago.... time to get updated news bud.[/citation]

First of all, the "spin-off" you are talking about happened 5 years ago, not 10. It was done so that GS's debts (which were substantial after aquiring the debts from several smaller companies they absorbed) would not directly impact B&N. Secondly, the management between the two are in many cases the same people. The companies retain a financial connection, with an amount of Gamestop assets being owned by Barnes and Noble. B&N is integrating Gamestop products and services into BN.com. The connection between the two companies is tighter than many other wholly owned subsidiaries. Gamestop information and financial reports of frequently issued to B&N stockholders and employees alike, and vice versa. Its safe to say, that without the blessing of B&N, the aquisition of GS by Best Buy is an errant rumor at best. It behooves a poster to fact check, and that doesn't include looking it up on wikipedia.

bvillan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Wow. I can't remember the last time I bought a game. But a trip to the mall always comes with a little GameStop window-shopping to plan my next download. And there's nothing Best Buy could offer me that I wouldn't get online or at evil Walmart. So I guess I don't care, but I always had a soft spot in my heart for Electronics Boutique. Just another nail in the coffin of my youth.

Hellcatm

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
This is wrong. I hate Best Buy, how could have people let them get so out of hand? Their service plans are total ripoffs (the ones for CompUSA were much better), they tell their workers to lie to customers. I just go to Fry's now, their the better of both evils. The thing I like about Game Stop (which will probably stop if Best Buy buys them), is I can buy used 360 games and if I don't like one or two I can bring them back in a certain amount of time.

jimbofluffy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I buy games generally in the following order:

1. On sale on Steam, never not on sale.
2. On Ebay used or very low price.
3. From Gamestop only if there is a good coupon. Example: Preordered Metroid Prime Trilogy and got a 25% off coupon for a used game, which I used to pick up a pre-owned (used only once) Wii Fit for $60.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
RIP Circuit City. Without them, I haven't seen very many deals and prices worth much around here at Best Buy since their closing - don't know about the rest of you guys out there.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I've never had a use for Best Buy... I dislike their prices and customer service. GameStop, however, is usually my first choice regarding console gaming, particularly when I'm looking for a used item.
Hopefully, even if this is true, the latter's stature will not change.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Well I usually don't shop at either one but Gamestop already totally ruined Funcoland. You can't get any old games there any more. I figure once Best Buy purchases Gamestop there will be less used games available even though these companies say they want to get into the used game business. Almost sounds like a way for developers to try to thwart the used games industry. But then again I think gamestop is hurting right now and probably wants to be bought out so the higher ups can retire. Used game stores are going to go out like movie rental stores within the next few years is my prediction. Right now I only go into gamestop because I have a gift card that I haven't run out of money on yet. Otherwise all my shopping is online. Funcoland used to draw me in because I would go through and find good deals on older used cartridge based games. It was almost like collecting baseball cards except not really needing the whole set or dozens of rookie cards, bad example but the feeling was similar.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Nay Although I beleive Gamestop overcharges for used games,some competition is better than no competition. Ever since Wal-Mart put the Local K-mart out of business. Wal Mart went up on some things that were lower when K-Mart was around. ALL THIS MERGING IS GOOD FOR BIGGER COMPANIES BUT IS BAD FOR CONSUMERS

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]macrimmon12[/nom]First of all, the "spin-off" you are talking about happened 5 years ago, not 10. It was done so that GS's debts (which were substantial after aquiring the debts from several smaller companies they absorbed) would not directly impact B&N. Secondly, the management between the two are in many cases the same people. The companies retain a financial connection, with an amount of Gamestop assets being owned by Barnes and Noble. B&N is integrating Gamestop products and services into BN.com. The connection between the two companies is tighter than many other wholly owned subsidiaries. Gamestop information and financial reports of frequently issued to B&N stockholders and employees alike, and vice versa. Its safe to say, that without the blessing of B&N, the aquisition of GS by Best Buy is an errant rumor at best. It behooves a poster to fact check, and that doesn't include looking it up on wikipedia.[/citation]

Well I worked as a manager for the company for 8 years, which would probably mean that I know a bit more about the GS than you. B&N broke the strong relationship they had about 5 years before GS purchased EB Games. I know because I was there... If you are just some investor, then apparently people should never trust their money with an investor because they have incorrect information.

Gamestop profits on used games is ungodly high so they quickly made their money back from purchasing up the smaller companies such as Software ETC and those other smaller companies. If I remember correct that was completely paid off in 3 years (the debt from purchasing those companies) 2 years later, B&N sold their stock in GS

G

This is bad, very bad. I once spent a black friday sitting outside best buy all night just to get the wrong tv. they had advertised one tv for a month then changed it the day before. I really dont want to sit outside a gamestop for the next Halo, then when I am tired and freezing, have them hand me my reserved copy of "Hala" and have them tell me thats what they were selling us. Best Buy will destroy anything good about Gamestop and then charge ridiculous prices for everything. $30 for a 3 ft HDMI cable, nuff said.

G

This is bad, very bad. I once spent a black friday sitting outside best buy all night just to get the wrong tv. they had advertised one tv for a month then changed it the day before. I really dont want to sit outside a gamestop for the next Halo, then when I am tired and freezing, have them hand me my reserved copy of "Hala" and have them tell me thats what they were selling us. Best Buy will destroy anything good about Gamestop and then charge ridiculous prices for everything. $30 for a 3 ft HDMI cable, nuff said.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.