Report: Doctors Worried Phones Are Distracting Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Prior to the smartphone epidemic, child-based injury rates had steadily declined since the 1970s thanks to safer playgrounds to baby gates to plugging plastic caps into electrical sockets. But the sudden rise of injuries and the sudden rise in smartphone ownership seemingly point to distracted parents who are now spending too much time texting, playing mobile games, and streaming dancing cats from YouTube."

Don't forget the rise of obesity at least partially to blame for not letting kids play outside or do anything remotely physical.

If kids are being encouraged to be more active than in the past, to help their physical well being, that could quite possibly be to blame as well, though they probably still have a point with distracted parents.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
People are becoming increasingly stupid and it's not because of smartphones alone. When they eventually become parents, s*** is bound to happen.

RaQin

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
We've also had an increase in the Canadian Goose population...that may be pat of the problem too. LOL

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
[citation][nom]xero141[/nom]I'm interested in a deeper study. Which OS causes the higher incidence of neglect, ios or android? lol[/citation] Watch out! Someone might publish a useless study on both and conclude people who use ios eat more apples and healthy foods while android users eat gingerbread, jelly beans and ice cream sandwhichs for breakfest D:

/sarcasm :p

vigorvermin

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]"Prior to the smartphone epidemic, child-based injury rates had steadily declined since the 1970s thanks to safer playgrounds to baby gates to plugging plastic caps into electrical sockets. But the sudden rise of injuries and the sudden rise in smartphone ownership seemingly point to distracted parents who are now spending too much time texting, playing mobile games, and streaming dancing cats from YouTube."Don't forget the rise of obesity at least partially to blame for not letting kids play outside or do anything remotely physical.If kids are being encouraged to be more active than in the past, to help their physical well being, that could quite possibly be to blame as well, though they probably still have a point with distracted parents.[/citation]

obesity in toddlers? 1 - 2 year olds? I don't think that's really an issue, they could eat healthier but they've been eating gerber foods for a long long time.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I'm more worried about all the prescription drugs being handed out like candy by doctors that end up doing more harm than good.

[citation][nom]vigorvermin[/nom]obesity in toddlers? 1 - 2 year olds? I don't think that's really an issue, they could eat healthier but they've been eating gerber foods for a long long time.[/citation]
The article says children, not toddlers.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Anything that distracts your attention from your kids, resulting in accidents, has a connection - call it cause or correlate is not the point - if your kid gets hurt because you a watching lolcats on your phone, or the passing jogger with the nice ass, you are a deadbeat parent
Disagree? Tough

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I'd have to say that it does bring the validity into question. I could say that there has been a decrease in home safety equipment by 13%, or that 20% more homes have narrower steps. Is there a relationship between smartphone usage and toddler injuries? Could be, but we don't have enough information to say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.