Report: Epic Games Considering Always-Online for Fortnite

Status
Not open for further replies.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
PC gamers have as a whole done this to themselves.

I know there are a lot of people that actually buy games and never pirate them. I myself have a steam account with over 300 games on it and my son has an account with over 100 of the same games even though he could use mine, but he is getting ready to graduate hs and move on to college.

But I also know we are the exception and not the rule. I have had friends that have pirated games since the days of DOS and BBS's and my sons friends constantly tell him to torrent one game or another.

In the near future I would expect that all media, be it games, music, movies etc. will be streamed in at time of use or require a connection to run. It really is the only way that any of these industries can recover even a fraction of their earned compensation. You wouldn't expect a plumber or electrician to go to travel around to a million homes doing work and only get paid at 25% of them or even 50% of them. Yet all you have to do is read any message board for gamers and you will see that they truely believe that game publishers and developers should be happy with that same 25% and they made their money on the game etc. The truth is they are thieves same as the punk addict that robs the corner gas station.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
cut the mega million marketing budget, stop selling game @ $50-$60. Sell @ $5-$20.

Low Price is the only way to stop pirate, no other way. Always online game is gonna make people play casual free game. Free games are good enough these days, no reason to pay an always online game only to get Error 37.

G

I have been buying games since the 90's I purchased all things quake and UT ETC. I have a steam account and have purchased many games. However, I am really big on the idea of LAN. I used to live in an area with great broadband. I now live in an area with CRAP broadband and suffer most of the time. Most of the new games require internet connections for LAN. I recently have pretty much stopped purchasing and playing games, I am just sick of the way gaming has been driven. Less options for the end user. I have paid dearly for games I expected to deliver such as RAGE and it was terrible. Now I can go buy it for 8 dollars but I spent 60. Shame on me for believing in some of the companies I have trusted so dearly over the years.

A former avid gamer

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I don't really care what Epic do. I won't be playing this game. We've been complaining so long about PC games being held back by PS360 hardware tech level and what do Epic do in response to that? well they apparently make a game that is instead held back by tablet hardware tech. On top of that they basically say that that is our beloved Unreal Engine 4 for us. Well screw you back Epic then. I'm going to switch support to Crytek; they seem more honest about wanting to push technology forward.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
dheadley, I am actually glad your kind of thinking is becoming the exception. "Pirate" onward folks; btw, dirty names won't change innovation.

G

It will improve your gaming experience tremendously!

We won't just give you a 2ms lag, we'll give you 200!

We won't just give you 5s load times, we'll give you 50!

You won't just walk to where you are going, you'll TELEPORT there!

IB

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
This screws people like me over who have very inconsistent internet. That's alright, I'll just find another game to buy/play instead.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Diablo III is just great lesson to people how flawed online-only experiance is. The huge sales of d3 may appeal to producers and encourage them into pushing this types of drm but they won't take milions of people by suprise like diablo 3 did... before there was hordes of players not even knowing d3 will be like that and those who knew just weren't aware how bad will it be.
Number of people voting with wallet against online only SP games will just get bigger after every single large title released like that.

G

@aggroboy to say that for a PC exclusive title has to be online online because of piracy is the stupidest thing ive heard. The ONLY people that gets hurt from a game like that is legitmate consumers. Pirates/Hackers thrive off of a challenge like that and will get the game working regardless through other means. Intrusive DRM such as this is never a good thing for the game. Yes most of the world has internet at this time but its beside the point, unless its a multiplayer game at its core, offline single player option should always be there.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Still pushing people to pirate huh? The more crap you load in, the more people won't be able to stand it.
I like the game, I buy it, but I cannot deal with always online. So I use game fixes to force the online features off. GFWL anyone? R* Socialclub? Origin? Steam? Add more bullshit, please.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Mellwin 2 is 100% right...DRM/online only DRM really only ends up screwing over the honest buyers. With a few notable exceptions (D3 comes to mind---nobody has come up with a simple crack yet that I've seen), pretty much any game with DRM gets cracked within a few days anyways, especially the AAA titles.

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Always online is never a good thing, idk why devs cant just grow up and say that yes it is DRM. If its always online I wont be buying the game, its a shame since I was looking forward to it...

[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]PC gamers have as a whole done this to themselves. I know there are a lot of people that actually buy games and never pirate them. I myself have a steam account with over 300 games on it and my son has an account with over 100 of the same games even though he could use mine, but he is getting ready to graduate hs and move on to college. But I also know we are the exception and not the rule. I have had friends that have pirated games since the days of DOS and BBS's and my sons friends constantly tell him to torrent one game or another. In the near future I would expect that all media, be it games, music, movies etc. will be streamed in at time of use or require a connection to run. It really is the only way that any of these industries can recover even a fraction of their earned compensation. You wouldn't expect a plumber or electrician to go to travel around to a million homes doing work and only get paid at 25% of them or even 50% of them. Yet all you have to do is read any message board for gamers and you will see that they truely believe that game publishers and developers should be happy with that same 25% and they made their money on the game etc. The truth is they are thieves same as the punk addict that robs the corner gas station.[/citation]
I see your side here, BUT you can pirate console games just as easy.
I guess you have not seen it much, but almost EVERYONE(and most BUY games on Steam for PC) I know with a console pirates games for it. Wii was just about as easy as it comes for pirating[All games copied to an external drive]. Nintendo DS(i) just needs R4 type cards. 360 + PS3 + PSP have plenty of mods as well making for easy pirating(First PSP can be modded by loading a damn image file :) ). Older systems PS1 + PS2 had swapdisc to allow burned games to play just fine. Dreamcast games could just be burned to a DVD :) This is no different then PC. Both in general kill off online play on official servers.

To add to this. I have games and still pirate them to avoid the damn DRM. I payed for the game and have it sitting on my game shelf. Steam is the perfect example of what DRM should be. It is not intrusive at all. The biggest shame is all the games with install limits still making it to steam. I have many systems and want to be able to have my games installed on more then 3-5 computers. Only being able to play on one at a time, YES that makes sense(again why the steam idea is GREAT).

/RANT

G

These games are meant to be played online with people. If you don't like it play Skyrim.
On another note, even though it was difficult to log in to d3 in the first hour of launch... I eventually got in and have loved everything about the game. All complaints against the game have been from nubs.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]cut the mega million marketing budget, stop selling game @ $50-$60. Sell @ $5-$20. Low Price is the only way to stop pirate, no other way. Always online game is gonna make people play casual free game. Free games are good enough these days, no reason to pay an always online game only to get Error 37.[/citation]

Reality is that you will not get a AAA title on a B level budget. If you want the best possible graphics and AI, that's going to take a large team. The days when you could make a top tier game on a team of 10 people are gone. This is where the consumer has set the bar for the industry. If on the other hand you're satisfied with graphics 3 generations old and gameplay as complicated as Tetris, feel free to stick to mobile and free games and pay less. Do not however pirate high cost games and try to justify it as "it costs too much". Stick with your cost range and play in the trash. You don't get to eat steak on a hamburger budget.

[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom]as an older gamer and someone who actually pays for all his games, anything that screws with thieves (they are not pirates but thieves) is fine by me.[/citation]

At the same time though, DRM does not screw with thieves and is not the way to prevent piracy. Pirates get around DRM and legit players are forced to pirate to get past the restriction. This is not the way to solve the problem.

[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]I see your side here, BUT you can pirate console games just as easy.I guess you have not seen it much, but almost EVERYONE(and most BUY games on Steam for PC) I know with a console pirates games for it. Wii was just about as easy as it comes for pirating[All games copied to an external drive]. Nintendo DS(i) just needs R4 type cards. 360 + PS3 + PSP have plenty of mods as well making for easy pirating(First PSP can be modded by loading a damn image file ). Older systems PS1 + PS2 had swapdisc to allow burned games to play just fine. Dreamcast games could just be burned to a DVD This is no different then PC. [/citation]

Alright, here's the thing about that. PC games were easily pirated without any modding practically from the start. It has always been a problem for PC gaming. It has only recently become an issue for console gaming. The original method of console piracy was emulation, which required a PC to begin with. Mods also allowed piracy, but didn't become useful until systems started using common media. Even then a hard mod can be complicated or costly for the average console user. The piracy scene is a threat to console games now, but it has always been a threat to PC gaming.

Oh, right. This article isn't really about piracy. Yeah, online only isn't good for the player. It's a reduction of possibilities. If you want to have a Co Op focused game, great. But don't FORCE the player to play a Co Op game. Games should have options to allow the player to play how they want. Online only tells your consumer base that people who want LAN, don't have a good connection, or simply prefer to play without other people are not welcome to your game. Online only reduces the audience for your product, which is foolish marketing.

Honestly though, gamers only have themselves to thank for this. D3 sold well, so that translates to corporate types that online only and RMAH were great ideas. They only think in sales figures and statistics. If gamers want this to stop, they have to STOP buying into these games. If people don't buy it, they won't sell it.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Im excited about the game, but if they do that always on shit, no sale for me. Diablo III made sure I wont be buying anymore games like that, unless they are an MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS