Report: EVGA's GTX 980 Classified, HydroCopper Show Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jase240

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Any word on unlocked voltage? These cards are still never temperature limited in overclocks, only voltage and TDP limited.

Watercooling without unlocked voltage seems really dumb on this card, no real benefit at all.

If they had made the Hydrocopper version a single-slot card, I probably would have bought it. As it is, I don't particularly care about it. Especially since it's just a reference card, which I could slap a waterblock on myself.

Ruben Browning

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Classified are the safest choice for NVIDIA, right?
I mean, they are supposed to be cherry picked and it might be hard to find warranty where I'll take it

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
The only real advantage with a Hydrocopper is that the GPU's are handpicked and you will get a decent overclock which is where the value is. If you know what you're doing its not that difficult to slap an EK waterblock on a GPU and save a bit of $. For me watercooling is more to do with keeping a system quiet rather than overclocking excessively although it does give you a lot more headroom. I have a watercooled 4770K but despite the cooling it doesn't overclock that well - luck of the draw I guess

Pikker

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Any word on unlocked voltage? These cards are still never temperature limited in overclocks, only voltage and TDP limited.

Watercooling without unlocked voltage seems really dumb on this card, no real benefit at all.

I'm certain nvidia is saving that functionality in case AMD rolls out a competitive card, before it was limited processing, now it's limited power.

Man I've been trying so hard to fight the urge to grab a 980. They make so much sense right now. I can ditch sli 580s, save power, reduce noise, and come out ahead in performance. The power savings over time from going to a 980 will pay for the card by the time it needs replacing. What am I waiting for?!?

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"What am I waiting for?!?"

I would wait...for the 8gb model (maybe around Christmas time). It seems like overkill until you realize that today's release Mordor will require a 6GB card @ 1080p for the top texture setting. I dont like doing upgrades for components that are already outclassed by the latest AAA titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.