Report: Google Working on 10-inch Nexus with Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
When comparing the asus Transformer pas Infinity to the Galaxy Tab 2, I would have prefered Asus to produce the tablet again.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... now, that google almost owns motorola, why don't they build the next nexus them self...?[/citation]
That's because other manufacturers were afraid that Android would become closed and/or Motorola getting a MUCH better treatment than the others.
To keep the others in full confidence and support, Google is a bit screwing Motorola right now. You won't get to see Motorola and Nexus in the same sentence soon.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... now, that google almost owns motorola, why don't they build the next nexus them self...?[/citation]

That's like Apple making their own MAP App.
Easier said then done if you step outside your normal line of expertise.
Google is not a 'manufacturer' and would be best advised to let that be done by someone like Samsung.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]When comparing the asus Transformer pas Infinity to the Galaxy Tab 2, I would have prefered Asus to produce the tablet again.[/citation]
Asus did a fairly good job with the Infinity, mine just received JellyBean today. I wonder how this new Google-Samsung will compare besides the screen.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
That would be great.
samsung-made + high resolution probably means that it won't be running on the cheap tegra3 trash.
God that chip is awful in the N7 even with a huge OC. don't tell me how this tablet is cheap and all, because other higher priced T3 device such as HTC OneX, ASUS transformer have similar performance.

wedouglas

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
These OEM's need to drop their BS names and marketing, and just market their stuff as Google stuff.

A box with just Google's name >> any OEM name.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
2560x1600 and no suitable processor in sight. After finally coming up with Project Butter to make Android lag free they're going to re-introduce it by trying to get a processor to push 4x the pixels.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
About those complaining about the processor, I bet it will be a quad-core (+1 like the Tegra) Cortex-A15 with the best GPU possible on the release date. I just wonder: can older apps work on such a high density pixel display? Imagine stretched out fonts and graphics. It will look awful.

So, my "bingo card" would be:
2560x1600
2 GB ram (maybe more)
Cortex-A15 @1.8ghz +
2 or 3 models starting from 32gb memory/space
And at least 8000mAh for the battery (at least because the screen should eat a lot of power at that res).

Weight? Around the original Xoom if the battery is bigger than 8000mAh.

I just hope that it isn't an Exynos chip. Tho those are good, those would suck on such high demanding tablet. Also, I would love to see tablets working out the resolution as the PC does.. Just set it and let the game run the best it can instead of forcing higher resolutions.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
About those complaining about the processor, I bet it will be a quad-core (+1 like the Tegra) Cortex-A15 with the best GPU possible on the release date. I just wonder: can older apps work on such a high density pixel display? Imagine stretched out fonts and graphics. It will look awful.

2560x1600
2 GB ram (maybe more)
Cortex-A15 @1.8ghz +
And at least 8000mAh for the battery (at least because the screen should eat a lot of power at that res).

I just hope that it isn't an Exynos chip. Tho those are good, those would suck on such high demanding tablet. Also, I would love to see tablets working out the resolution as the PC does.. Just set it and let the game run the best it can instead of forcing higher resolutions.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009

2560x1600
2 GB ram (maybe more)
Cortex-A15 @1.8ghz +

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Put a stylus in it please. Super AMOLED screen. high resolution display. Get rid of that hover thing in the stylus. I guess what I am saying is... fix the Galaxy Note Tab !

I would so buy a Galaxy Note Tab that works, and would very much like to see it in the next year.

spookie

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Right, so Samsung will be building a tablet for Google that is superior to their own? mmm Samsung will be their own competition

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
so i gotta ask. why is it souch a obsession with the storage memory in a device? dont stors out side sweden sell micro sd cards 128gig and up? my padphone got 80gig free storage all together. sure i can understand apple but they dont give free will so ho cares about them.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]so i gotta ask. why is it souch a obsession with the storage memory in a device? dont stors out side sweden sell micro sd cards 128gig and up? my padphone got 80gig free storage all together. sure i can understand apple but they dont give free will so ho cares about them.[/citation]
Well, I think micro sd cards are generally slower than the FLASH storage that is built in so performance is one reason. I know they're making SD cards quicker but those are also costlier.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]so i gotta ask. why is it souch a obsession with the storage memory in a device? dont stors out side sweden sell micro sd cards 128gig and up? my padphone got 80gig free storage all together. sure i can understand apple but they dont give free will so ho cares about them.[/citation]

Yes, they do sell those outside SW as well. And it's all fine and dandy unless you find out that the manufacturers took a page from Apples' book and did away with the damn microSD slot altogether. See, they figured out that less is more. So they can charge more for their paltry 8 or 16 GB devices...

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
^ And that works well with the whole cloud concept and all. And the telcos make an honest living too. That's if you have a broadband module onboard and an unlimited data plan. If not, well...

*Sorry for the rant.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]The tablet would be cobranded, which means it's like it will bear the Galaxy band as well as the Nexus brand.[/citation]

Pass... what is next a fat Samsung logo on it?

For the record I like Samsung, I have a Galaxy S3 and love it. If I wanted to buy a Nexus device i do not want any other branding besides Google and Nexus.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
"2560x1600" is the rumor...

In other news monitor manufacturers will be content to produce 27" 1080p screens for the next decade. /bitter

halcyon

Splendid
I love the high resolution displays but I hate the scaled-up text like on the RetinaBook Pro. It looks weird or something. I like that little bit of grit that on a more normal resoluted screen. The Asus Transformer Pad Infinity's 1920x1200 is right up my alley.

Looks like Google wants to imitate the entire portfolio range of Apple to offer a direct competitor in every segment. It can work out well, like the Nexus, and it can become kind of a "meh" device like the Nexus7.

Status
Not open for further replies.