Report: Graphics Cards to Receive 10-15% Price Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Do people really buy those all that much? I mean, integrated graphics on an APU is about as good as those cards.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]Do people really buy those all that much? I mean, integrated graphics on an APU is about as good as those cards.[/citation]

Yes. Maybe not many home users but mainly companies where you need to connect 2 monitors while many motherboards still only have 1 VGA port. And for presentation PCs where you need something stronger then integrated HD 4000 GPU but nut as strong as gaming GPU.

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
The article said some products using DDR3 memory receive an increase, right? As long as that statement is correct or I interpreted it correctly (if I didn't feel free to yell at me and call me stupid as is tradition) then it doesn't really apply to most graphics cards.

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
I'm pretty sure both GDDR5 and DDR3 cards will go up in price. This article only mentions DDR3 because most of the DRAM being produced is DDR3, making it the biggest factor in overall RAM prices.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]So this article is about DDR3 memory chips?Ok, so will RAM in general be receiving this increase, as well???[/citation]

All DDDR3 with the exception of embedded ones for tablets and smartphones are expected to cost more, because production is supposedly being cut back.

A shame, because I planned on buying an 8GB 1866 MHz CL10 RAM for the upcoming Richland laptops. Now it's gone up from around $50 to nearly $70.

It seems that every laptop manufacturer charges like $50 for 4GB to 8GB upgrade, and I'm not going to kneecap the APU by using 8GB 1333 MHz RAM from my current laptop.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Yeah, I noticed when I went to Newegg a few days ago that some DDR3 RAM that had been $40 was up to $50. Looks like it'll be affecting DDR3 video cards like the 6670 which is still the budget recommendation on Tom's Gaming Graphics list.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
bought 2x4GB sticks a month ago b4 the price hike. Now my Sandy bridge system have 16GB RAM. This should be more than enough deal with the entire lifetime of next gen 8GB console.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]Yeah, I noticed when I went to Newegg a few days ago that some DDR3 RAM that had been $40 was up to $50. Looks like it'll be affecting DDR3 video cards like the 6670 which is still the budget recommendation on Tom's Gaming Graphics list.[/citation]

Noticed that as well, a few months ago I could get some 8gb of 1600mhz DDR3 for $40.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
GDDR5 is just modified DDR3 ram. I picked up 16GBs of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600 ram during this holiday season and the cheapest I have seen it since is $75. With the release of DDR4 in the works, one would expect that DDR3 would drop in price but this upward trend in most intriguing.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]smeezekitty[/nom]Why? As memory technology advances, would prices not go down?[/citation]
DRAM manufacturers were operating with razor-thin margins if not at a loss so the price hike is very much necessary for them to break even.

There used to be dozens of DRAM manufacturers but most of them have gone bankrupt due to failing to survive the merciless periodic lows in the DRAM industry. Elpida was one of the newest victims in 2012 and there will likely be more in the future, particularly considering that people's memory requirements are starting to flatten out.

G

[citation][nom]jcurry23[/nom]oh yeah people buy them, the gpu on the apu aren't even close to to a discrete video card.[/citation]
It's pretty close to the ones that use ddr3

[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]Do people really buy those all that much? I mean, integrated graphics on an APU is about as good as those cards.[/citation]
I just redid my computer for work. It is all office workloads, so I only got a Pentium G2020 which is more than enough horsepower to run office, browse the web, and crop/fix the occasional photo. But I needed a discrete GPU for the sake of having proper duel monitor support. I ended up going with a GTX610. Gutless card, but it was the cheapest GPU I could find with 2 DVI ports which was also passively cooled. Works great for what I need it to do, runs cold, silent, and low power, and lets my 2 old apple cinema displays stretch their legs without issue (or adapters).

Onboard graphics (be it Intel or AMD) are 'good enough' for home users (my wife runs on HD4000 without problems for everything she does), but if you want multiple displays, or to do other specialty things, then you still need a discrete GPU.

This isn't good for budget users but in a way it was expected at some point as the low end market is shrinking and the memory type is slowly being phased out. Not good for the consumer as DDR3/GDDR3 is going to become costly.

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]DRAM manufacturers were operating with razor-thin margins if not at a loss so the price hike is very much necessary for them to break even.There used to be dozens of DRAM manufacturers but most of them have gone bankrupt due to failing to survive the merciless periodic lows in the DRAM industry. Elpida was one of the newest victims in 2012 and there will likely be more in the future, particularly considering that people's memory requirements are starting to flatten out.[/citation]
DRAM supply has been monopolized by Samsung (~41%), Hynix (~24%), and Micron (~25%). They control worldwide 90% DRAM production. Let alone recent nuclear threat from North Korea. All combined factors are pushing price higher, on both DRAM and manufacture's stock price.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]DRAM manufacturers were operating with razor-thin margins if not at a loss so the price hike is very much necessary for them to break even.There used to be dozens of DRAM manufacturers but most of them have gone bankrupt due to failing to survive the merciless periodic lows in the DRAM industry. Elpida was one of the newest victims in 2012 and there will likely be more in the future, particularly considering that people's memory requirements are starting to flatten out.[/citation]probably it is better for them to start making faster DRAM than making it bigger. APUs are starting to take a lot of bandwidth form RAM. I figure AMD APU is better off start with triple channel than dual channel.

Mainstream Smartphones are still on 512MB. 512MB are barely enough to be more than sufficient.

aonor

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Aren't GPUs already overpriced? I don't think much people would pay $1,000 for a graphic card. Maybe $700, but not $1000.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]tomfreak[/nom]probably it is better for them to start making faster DRAM than making it bigger. APUs are starting to take a lot of bandwidth form RAM. I figure AMD APU is better off start with triple channel than dual channel. Mainstream Smartphones are still on 512MB. 512MB are barely enough to be more than sufficient.[/citation]

I think they maybe attempting to ride out the DDR3 in preparations for DDR4, which WILL be priced higher.

If the DDR3 prices don't drop by Christmas season when Kaveri comes out, then I'll be shopping for a GDDR5 laptop.

[citation][nom]aonor[/nom]Aren't GPUs already overpriced? I don't think much people would pay $1,000 for a graphic card. Maybe $700, but not $1000.[/citation]

Radeon 7750: Around $90 to $100.

GTFO troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.