Report: HP To Kill webOS in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Thanks for link. It's good to know they are not being entirely stupid. I have a feeling that we'll see the TouchPad come back.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
What HP is doing is nothing more than poor business practice. They need to get ahead of all these rumors and state their position CLEARLY...there is nothing worst than ambiguity.

G

I bought one of the 32GB TouchPads from a scalper on Amazon for about $100 more than the fire sale price. I got it because at that price I still thought it was a great deal.
I was only going to use it for web look-ups while reading or watching TV, but somewhere on the way to Google I found that this little gem is really neat. I like the interface better than what I've seen of my stepson's iPad, and I find myself using it all the time wherever I happen to be, something that my laptop has never done well.
I like this thing, and I can't help but feel abandoned now with HP's handling of the whole debacle. It's hard to believe that this is the same company that produced my HP-41CX, and I don't see how anybody is going to be able to trust them as a services company after this.

ruel24

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Because they were inept, they're killing it? It doesn't seem like a bad product, and could make a company standout in a sea of Android. However, HP is seriously lacking direction, these days, and aren't the company to do it. What happened HP? Where did the once great company go? CEO too busy kissing up to shareholders to actually mold the company into what it really should be...what it used to be?

G

WebOS really isn't that bad of a mobile OS. I bought a fire sale Touchpad, and after considerable tuning, such as turning off the incessant logging and other tweaks, I found the experience rather smooth, particularly the card swipe multitasking. Unfortunately, there simply isn't a sufficient app infrastructure in place to support it. I put CM7 Android on mine, and with the bevy of customization and strong app support, I haven't booted back into WebOS since. Would it serve any purpose for Google to buy WebOS inexpensively and integrate some of its strengths into Android? I, for one, would kill to see a fully functional and integrated WebOS-style UI and card multitasking system in Android (and no, Itching Thumb doesn't count).

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
HP can sell web OS and any related patents to the highest bidder to hopefully offset the 1.2B debacle.

It's like they had no strategy or vision beyond a few months...they picked up WebOS for 1.2B like you'd pick up a trinket at a garage sale. I have a tough time getting a couple $k approved.

G

as of this moment I'm typing on my 32 GB HP touchpad and as small support HP and the Tec department is giving webOS, imo it is far superior to android OS and IOS. The multitasking, UI, and just overall experience is far more pleasing then the other 2 major OS. Its sad to see webOS get killed off as it could of been a great thing were it not for poor decision making and bad marketing on HP's part.google and apple should start pouncing webOS devs quick because they have great ideas and creativity that each OS CAN REALLY USE.

g-unit1111

Titan
[citation][nom]butterpecan[/nom]as of this moment I'm typing on my 32 GB HP touchpad and as small support HP and the Tec department is giving webOS, imo it is far superior to android OS and IOS. The multitasking, UI, and just overall experience is far more pleasing then the other 2 major OS. Its sad to see webOS get killed off as it could of been a great thing were it not for poor decision making and bad marketing on HP's part.google and apple should start pouncing webOS devs quick because they have great ideas and creativity that each OS CAN REALLY USE.[/citation]

I've used all 3 and I totally agree that Web OS is the better operating system. It's very simple and easy to navigate, AND has all the latest web technologies built into the operating system. No need to have thousands of apps for every single website - Droid is very complex, iOS is decent but could use some tweaking (needs Flash). I think Web OS really is the first one to get it right. If HP doesn't want it, I hope someone does.

G

way to be HP killing off one of the best os's out there and destroying the legacy that was palm. 1.2 billion spent frivolously will now not only further ruin your reputation as a company but the families and lives your going to throw into limbo isn't going to help. All those patents now almost worthless congratulations on the most major bungle in tech history!

eatmeimadanish

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
How many times does the corporate brain have to leave its own customers feeling dumbfounded. To make WEBOS succesful, they needed netflix installed on it, and another feature like spotify. We use our IPAD (I own a touchpad too, running android for netflix) primarily for spoty and netflix and web.

Status
Not open for further replies.