News Report: Huawei Finds a New Friend in The Pentagon

bit_user

Splendid
Ambassador
In the long term, what's at stake isn't so much Huawei's business (since that will dry up very soon, as China transitions to sourcing all of its technology internally), but whether any other foreign firms will run the risk of sourcing from US suppliers.

Trump's tech export bans could seriously damage the long term health of the US tech sector. For that reason, I'm hoping the administration doesn't just reverse course, but actually loses a court case on its legality. Otherwise, foreign firms (even in friendly countries) will always worry that their supply & support from US firms could suddenly get shut off.

Reactions: unis_torvalds

traxxmy

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Thats why i dont trust US product anymore with its NSA, federal involvement. I recently just move from dropbox to EU based cloud storage. Move my hosting from Godaddy to other non-US company. Now i slowly transition whatever stuff possible away from US based to other alternative even if that mean reduced features.

nofanneeded

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
Destroying other countries companies using direct banning is unethical and damaged USA reputation forever.

Even if TRUMP leaves the white house , this will not be forgotten and I think it is too late already. The whol world will move away from US made product as soon as an alternative is found.

No one gambles his billions of business cash on who rules USA. USA needs to restrict the President from blocking trade without evidence .

Jan 27, 2020
Remember this whole thing with Huawei started with Trump's American first policy which means ethics and international relations be damned, America will claw its way to the top however it can even if that meant fabricating paranoia and spreading fear of Chinese tech as baseless as it seems to all corners of the globe. Such dirty tactics will alienate the US(take UK's 5G decision for example) and spell the doom of US tech sector at the very least, just a matter of time if they keep this up.

bit_user

Splendid
Ambassador
even if that meant fabricating paranoia and spreading fear of Chinese tech as baseless as it seems to all corners of the globe.
Except Trump didn't invent fear and suspicion of Chinese exports.

As for telecomms & other infrastructure products, I don't think any country should trust its suppliers. They should insist on full transparency, with all software and firmware being delivered in source code form and compiled/deployed with standard tools.

ASK THE COMMUNITY