Report: Intel 9-Series Will Feature 10-16 Gb/s SATA Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
LMAO now i want to wait for Broadwell :D

But idk. Probably the only thing that'll make me stop with a Haswell purchase is DDR4 support for Broadwell, but i don't think that's happening. Not buying before december, so should have more details on the 9-series by then.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
BTW, congrats Tom's, i haven't read this anywhere else on the sites i frequent for tech news (AnandTech, TechReport and DailyTech's news section since its feed appears on AT's home page).

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I guess this means we will see SSDs being 2 times faster than the current ones with the coming of Z97, so maybe spending too much on an ssd now is not smart... something like a simple, cheap and still fast as a samsung 840?

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Looks like Intel is expecting a major jump in speed on SSDs. Right now, most SSDs are hitting around 5Gb which is still 1Gb shy of saturating Sata III. Evidently there are SSDs in the pipe that will be hitting 10Gb/s or higher in the next two years (about 1.25GB/s read speed).

InvalidError

Titan

No point in asking that in a chipset thread when the memory controller is integrated in the CPU.

If you want DDR4 on the desktop, you will have to wait for Broadwell (14nm shrink next year if all goes well) for that.

Just about all of them. SATA1 spec is only good for ~150MB/s, and while things like file transfers of small documents will be slower than that, anything moved that is bigger than an MP3, or transfered in a way other than a windows file transfer can go well above that very easily. Even SATA2 is easily saturated with mid-level SSDs. On my own rig I have Agility 3's and while their average speed sits right around the throughput of SATA2, if you give them compressible data then even they can max out the SATA3 spec with relative ease for reading files (ie loading programs or editing video).
There is a lot of work that needs to be done to get SSDs to have more consistent fast performance, but it is good to know that some 2 years from now then we will be able to have the performance roof lifted again!

It is nice to see that Haswell is benching better than expected numbers, and that Broadwell will probably see a good standards increase (DDR4, SATA4 are expected, but we may also see next gen Thunderbolt come to play as well). I'm still waiting on Skylake/Skymont for my next upgrade just due to my own upgrade cycle, but it is nice to see that Intel is not sacrificing everything on the alter of better power efficiency and that they are working on other areas of development.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I'm still rocking an X58 SLI with an OC'ed i7 on 1366 socket. Other than GPU updates every other year, replacing boot HD for SSD and maxing out the triple channel memory modules I haven't had much of a need to upgrade for nothing. I might consider one of these boards as a future upgrade plan depending on how OC'able they turn out to be. Looks interesting so far.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I'm still rocking an X58 SLI with an OC'ed i7 on 1366 socket. Other than GPU updates every other year, replacing boot HD for SSD and maxing out the triple channel memory modules I haven't had much of a need to upgrade for nothing. I might consider one of these boards as a future upgrade plan depending on how OC'able they turn out to be. Looks interesting so far.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Why does Tom's always say "an error has occurred" every fucking time I try to quote the god damn article? This is suppose to be an update?

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006

I'm in the same situation, friend. Have my X58 EVGA Classified MB with an OC'ed i7 920. There are faster CPUs out there, but with 24GB of Tri_Channel DDR3 1600 & my 670 FTW, I'm running pretty smooth.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I just hope the 9-series boards have a lot more SATAE ports than existing boards
have native Intel SATA3 ports. So frustrating to find that so many boards have
most of the SATA3 ports controlled by rotten Marvell chips.

Someone asked me recently if there was a SB or IB board that had 10x SATA3 ports;
in the end it made more sense for them to buy an AMD board, which is bizarre.

Please Intel, give us lots of SATAE ports managed by your own controllers, not
hamstrung by junk from Marvell.

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I know the site designers are working on it, but yeah it's a right pickle atm. And when the error
occurs some of one's text gets ditched. Always type your post in a separate editor or something
& then copy/paste.

Atm it seems to work better if just using the .co.uk site; the .com setup is really fubar, though
the quote symbol on the .co.uk site doesn't work for me. I don't like the visual styling on the
.com site though, it looks too childish, like designed something for the everything-must-be-huge
smartphone generation. Looks less professional IMO. Other changes to the .co.uk are also silly,
eg. marking the reply box with 'Your solution' (huh??) and having to click 'Answer' to submit;
what's wrong with simply, 'Your Post/Reply' and 'Submit'? And the text entry box should be at
the bottom of the page after the last comment, not at the top.

And why the need to have the 'display more comments' thing? Apart from being annoying, it
doesn't work half the time. What was wrong with having multiple pages? The only thing I would
have changed is include the option to adjust how many posts are displayed per page, eg. 10 to
200 or something, a method widely used elsewhere. That and increasing the max voting no. on
posts to 200, max -ve to -200, just for the hell of it. 8)

The email notification of new posts also hasn't worked for some time now.

Ian.

Ken Havens

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Dam....this is great. However Intel pretty please add this spec for Ivy E, that or come out with 8 core chips for Broadwell. Enthusiast pc should have nice toys too 8=D

Status
Not open for further replies.