Report: Intel Announcing New Atoms in Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
In the age of 6 core CPU's, the latest news is about single-core (and dual-core) with Hyper-Threading support for 1.66 GHz CPU's. Actually, dual-cores with Hyper-Threading support is an interesting concept, but why just for the Atom?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Atoms are slow but if the Sony X cost half what it does I would buy one anyway. Pretty nice little kit. But for $1200 um, it isn't an i7 :)

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Am I missing something?

- Intel Atom N450: single-core with Hyper-Threading support, 1.66 GHz, 512KB cache, x86-64, BGA437 package, $63 price-point;
- Intel Atom D510: dual-core with Hyper-Threading support, 1.66 GHz, 1MB cache, x86-64, BGA437 package, $63 price-point;
- Intel Atom D410: single-core with Hyper-Threading support, 1.66 GHz, 512KB cache, x86-64, BGA437 package, $43 price-point;

The D410 and N450 look identical minus price. Is there a typo in there?

G

Intel Atom N450 has the same specs as Intel Atom D410.
The price is a bit higher than the Atom, but hopefully will reduce the overall cost of a netbook!
If netbooks like the EeePc901,and MSI Wind can be gotten for under $300 that would be awesome!
I also hope their battery life will make a huge difference!

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Atoms are pretty slow, but they're not designed for speed, just the ability to fit in a small socket on a tiny motherboard. Nothing more, nothing less.

The fact that they're introducing Hyper-Threading into the smaller chips will give them a stronger hand (not that they need it) in the netbook market.

The fact that they also give 64-bit support begs the question when they will carry 64-bit operating systems. With most high-end ones carrying SSDs, throwing in 64-bit support will make these babys fly something fierce

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]In the age of 6 core CPU's, the latest news is about single-core (and dual-core) with Hyper-Threading support for 1.66 GHz CPU's. Actually, dual-cores with Hyper-Threading support is an interesting concept, but why just for the Atom?[/citation]
because like you said... this is the age of 6-cores CPUs

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]snotling[/nom]because like you said... this is the age of 6-cores CPUs[/citation]
Yeah, it is. If there was any news about it, you'd probably know that.

Mostly on the server market, but hey, news from a new reader on a news article, how reliable can that be?

AMD will be releasing 12-core CPU's in 2010, I'm sure Intel won't be far behind, unless they just want to keep working on their single core CPU's.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]awaken688[/nom]Am I missing something?The D410 and N450 look identical minus price. Is there a typo in there?[/citation]

You should compare those with the existing Atoms, and you'll be missing even more!

Seriously, the numbers reported for these "new" processors are exactly the same as the existing lineup of Atom processors (yeah, they all have x86-64, but so do the 200 and 300-series of current gen Atoms).

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]awaken688[/nom]Am I missing something?The D410 and N450 look identical minus price. Is there a typo in there?[/citation]

The D's are for desktops, and the N's are for netbooks. I would guess that the D410 has a higher TDP/heat output, making it unsuitable for laptops, but fine for a desktop. The N450 is probably just a low-power version of the same processor.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rjkucia[/nom]The D's are for desktops, and the N's are for netbooks. I would guess that the D410 has a higher TDP/heat output, making it unsuitable for laptops, but fine for a desktop. The N450 is probably just a low-power version of the same processor.[/citation]
Heat wouldn't be a problem if manufacturers would just apply better thermal compound and/or supply better heatsinks. Lower power is understandable, as that will increase battery life. Still, better storage capacities of batteries and the longer life of OLED's will provide more life than lower power of CPU's. Once that happens, say goodbye to the usefulness of the Atom processors.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
anyone bought a netbook? what is the maximum memory supported? number of memory module slots & what type of memory ddr2 or ddr3? just wondering about the 64-bit support.

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Heat wouldn't be a problem if manufacturers would just apply better thermal compound and/or supply better heatsinks. Lower power is understandable, as that will increase battery life. Still, better storage capacities of batteries and the longer life of OLED's will provide more life than lower power of CPU's. Once that happens, say goodbye to the usefulness of the Atom processors.[/citation]

You mean, once we can get those into a reasonable price range. Atom is more than just low-power; it's also dirt-cheap.

[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Yeah, it is. If there was any news about it, you'd probably know that.Mostly on the server market, but hey, news from a new reader on a news article, how reliable can that be?AMD will be releasing 12-core CPU's in 2010, I'm sure Intel won't be far behind, unless they just want to keep working on their single core CPU's.[/citation]

Atom is completely different. Its a super small, low power usage and low heat output CPU designed for small devices. Intel also plans to make one small based on Atom for cell phones and the like.

Their real CPU market is different. They will have a 6 core out soon (Core i9) that will have SMT giving it 12 threads which should be able to keep it in pace with AMDs Istanbul 12 cores (BTW they are MCM meaning they are 2 6 cores glued together like Intels C2Q). Core i9 will be a LGA 1366 drop in and as well Intel plans a 8 core soon but its not known if it will be LGA1366 or not.

But as for Atom, intel is just extending its lead in the market they created for Netbooks. People seem to gobble these up, when Verizon had them for free with a new triple bundle people only wanted the Netbook.

Will be nice to see the performance figures on these compared to current Atoms and whatever else is in the Netbook space as of now.

[citation][nom]rjkucia[/nom]You mean, once we can get those into a reasonable price range. Atom is more than just low-power; it's also dirt-cheap.[/citation]

This much is true. Intel gets about 2500 Atoms per wafer which is probably 10x that of a normal CPU thus reducing the costs to make them and in the end creating a super dirt cheap mobile internet device.

G

Maybe these will be Pinetrail Atoms with integrated graphics included? Just a guess that is probably wrong.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Atom is completely different. Its a super small, low power usage and low heat output CPU designed for small devices. Intel also plans to make one small based on Atom for cell phones and the like.Their real CPU market is different. They will have a 6 core out soon (Core i9) that will have SMT giving it 12 threads which should be able to keep it in pace with AMDs Istanbul 12 cores (BTW they are MCM meaning they are 2 6 cores glued together like Intels C2Q). Core i9 will be a LGA 1366 drop in and as well Intel plans a 8 core soon but its not known if it will be LGA1366 or not.But as for Atom, intel is just extending its lead in the market they created for Netbooks. People seem to gobble these up, when Verizon had them for free with a new triple bundle people only wanted the Netbook.Will be nice to see the performance figures on these compared to current Atoms and whatever else is in the Netbook space as of now.[/citation]
Here's where this thread gets fun. Get your Thumbs Down clicking at the ready netbook fanboi's.

I have a HP DV4T using a spare 2.26 GHz Dual Core P8400 I got for free (replaced the original CPU of my sold laptop with the one I received with the DV4T), I undervolted it and applied Arctic Silver MX-2, and have the 12-cell battery - which lasts 5 hours with a 5400 RPM drive, and about 8 hours with the Corsair P128. I also got 4 GB DDR3 I got for free (left-over parts from a previous laptop I sold to re-imburse my DV4T purchase), what I sold on my previous laptop now has Windows XP 32-bit, and the 2 GB DDR3 memory I got with the DV4T. My previous laptop sold for $550, my new laptop bought for $525 after taxes (not including the Corsair P128). I also have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit installed.

Try beating that with your 1.6 GHz 32-bit Windows XP with 2GB DDR2 memory without a full-sized keyboard or optical drive on a 10" screen that weighs 3 lbs with a battery life of 3 hours at $400.

Newer Atom CPU's don't mean anything but more tools for their marketing department. Batteries and undervolting and good thermal compound and SSD hard drives > new Atom CPU's power consumption.

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Here's where this thread gets fun. Get your Thumbs Down clicking at the ready netbook fanboi's.I have a HP DV4T using a spare 2.26 GHz Dual Core P8400 I got for free (replaced the original CPU of my sold laptop with the one I received with the DV4T), I undervolted it and applied Arctic Silver MX-2, and have the 12-cell battery - which lasts 5 hours with a 5400 RPM drive, and about 8 hours with the Corsair P128. I also got 4 GB DDR3 I got for free (left-over parts from a previous laptop I sold to re-imburse my DV4T purchase), what I sold on my previous laptop now has Windows XP 32-bit, and the 2 GB DDR3 memory I got with the DV4T. My previous laptop sold for $550, my new laptop bought for $525 after taxes (not including the Corsair P128). I also have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit installed. Try beating that with your 1.6 GHz 32-bit Windows XP with 2GB DDR2 memory without a full-sized keyboard or optical drive on a 10" screen that weighs 3 lbs with a battery life of 3 hours at $400.Newer Atom CPU's don't mean anything but more tools for their marketing department. Batteries and undervolting and good thermal compound and SSD hard drives > new Atom CPU's power consumption.[/citation]

Your story is kind of unique. Firstly, the DV4T starts at $579, so you must have gotten yours on sale. Secondly, most people do not have spare parts laying around, so don't use that in your argument against netbooks. Thirdly, $525 is a bit above the netbook market. Netbooks are usually $300-400, with the $500 end belonging to higher end Ions and whatnot. Finally, I'm not a netbook fanboy, I don't even own one, however I know what they are for and what there purpose is.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rjkucia[/nom]Your story is kind of unique. Firstly, the DV4T starts at $579, so you must have gotten yours on sale. Secondly, most people do not have spare parts laying around, so don't use that in your argument against netbooks. Thirdly, $525 is a bit above the netbook market. Netbooks are usually $300-400, with the $500 end belonging to higher end Ions and whatnot. Finally, I'm not a netbook fanboy, I don't even own one, however I know what they are for and what there purpose is.[/citation]
Yeah, mine was on sale, with stackable coupons applied. You can get spare parts not just laying around, but you can get them cheap by trading for parts if you know where to look. I'm well aware $525 is above the netbook market, but my notebook that's $125 (forgot to mention the 14.1" HD screen) over the $400 market netbooks is a great deal. So, enlighten me, what are the netbooks purpose?

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Yeah, mine was on sale, with stackable coupons applied. You can get spare parts not just laying around, but you can get them cheap by trading for parts if you know where to look. I'm well aware $525 is above the netbook market, but my notebook that's $125 (forgot to mention the 14.1" HD screen) over the $400 market netbooks is a great deal. So, enlighten me, what are the netbooks purpose?[/citation]

Their purpose is to be a small, cheap, lightweight computer to go on the Internet while mobile, usually having higher battery life. They can usually do more, but that would depend on what specific model you get.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rjkucia[/nom]Their purpose is to be a small, cheap, lightweight computer to go on the Internet while mobile, usually having higher battery life. They can usually do more, but that would depend on what specific model you get.[/citation]
So... a bigger version of the Apple Ipod Touch. I see. Or, you spend $125 more and you can do everything you would be able to do on a desktop while still remaining small, cheap, lightweight while having a higher battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.