Report: Intel Having USB 3.0 Problems with Haswell

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

I learned my lesson about adopting early with the P67 chipset fun. Won't make that mistake again.

Dec 31, 2001
Sounds like mach ado about nothing. I'll restart acrobat out of a full sleep state and not worry about it... if I have a USB 3 device attached. Maybe this is the time to jump to Thunderbolt. Who knows!

lp231

Splendid
Which USB 3 are we talking about? Is it Intel ones that's affected, or all of them like Renesas?
If it's just Intel's why can't Intel just disable them and let mobo makers use 3rd party USB 3 chipsets instead.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Damn. Intel had this same issue with the SATA controller on Sandy Bridge. Really hope they get this resolved or MOBO manufacturers find a fix. Not many will be happy putting off a build they've been waiting on for a year just for the next stepping.

InvalidError

Titan
Sounds more like a driver problem than hardware to me: as long as the link-layer hardware does not get stuck in a failure mode when coming back from standby, the driver can be rewritten to issue a reset to the controller (get it unstuck) upon resume and hide it from applications/OS.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Fake, if you ask me. That comment by a supposed Intel rep is totally unlike any I've ever heard of before. Nor can I comprehend how it could only affect certain applications in that sort of way.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Got only problems with Intel since P67 introduction and buggy CPU's with 2600K all the way to Sandy Bridge (loss of data and degraded performance with the chipsets), maybe this is why they introduce a new socket every 2 years, they can't fix their bugs once it entered production phase.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ankit0x1[/nom]10 billions in R&D and you get this[/citation]

More than 100 billion + Annual military budget and it took 10 years to beat Osama in Hide and Seeks :p

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]stevenrix[/nom]Got only problems with Intel since P67 introduction and buggy CPU's with 2600K all the way to Sandy Bridge (loss of data and degraded performance with the chipsets), maybe this is why they introduce a new socket every 2 years, they can't fix their bugs once it entered production phase.[/citation]

huh? this happened one time, was issued an immediate recall, was fixed, and hasnt seen the light of day since the first month or so that sandy bridge was out...

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
4th 'generation' of what? Intel's naming scheme is stupid.

Pentium line: 1st gen?
First core2 line + Die-shrink: 2nd gen
Nehalem + Die-shrink (can't think of the title): 3rd gen
Sandy + Ivy: 4th gen
Haswell + Rockwell: 5th gen

Yes, no?

Also since when was Ivy Bridge '3rd gen'? Ivy was a die-shrink. It wasn't a generation increase over Sandy. If Sandy was '2nd gen' then Ivy is 2nd gen too.

If all Pentium CPUs (before the name Pentium is reused by Intel) are 1 generation, then you have to disregard the changes in architecture and die shrink in between, and by that convention, the Core "i something" will all be 3rd gen (Nehalem, Sandy and Haswell are all named Core "i something"). What about the ones before Pentium (e.g. 4004, 8080, 80386, etc)? So surely Pentium is not 1st gen.

Core series (yes, that should include the Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, etc before the Core i series), and 4th gen makes perfect sense.

1. Core (Conroe>Wolfdale/Kentsfield>Yorkfield)
2. Nehalem (Nehalem>Westmere)
3. Sandy Bridge (Sandy Bridge>Ivy Bridge)
4. Haswell (Haswell>Broadwell)

But well, now it is more common to start counting with Core "i something" and looks like:

1. Nehalem (Nehalem>Westmere)
2. Sandy Bridge
3. Ivy Bridge
4. Haswell

To avoid unnecessary confusion, just stick with what people use and call it the 4th gen.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]4th 'generation' of what? Intel's naming scheme is stupid.Pentium line: 1st gen?First core2 line + Die-shrink: 2nd genNehalem + Die-shrink (can't think of the title): 3rd genSandy + Ivy: 4th genHaswell + Rockwell: 5th genYes, no?Also since when was Ivy Bridge '3rd gen'? Ivy was a die-shrink. It wasn't a generation increase over Sandy. If Sandy was '2nd gen' then Ivy is 2nd gen too.[/citation]

I think Kevin was talking about the "tick tock" design process. It's the 4th of that process.

ssd_pro

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Or you could just not use S3 sleep. A modern notebook on a SSD will boot in about 10 seconds. It isn't like the lost 8 seconds will destroy your life quality. Heck, you can use that 8 seconds to look around and think about the real world, maybe even the people you are about to ignore.

[citation][nom]anort3[/nom]I learned my lesson about adopting early with the P67 chipset fun. Won't make that mistake again.[/citation]

im still using a absolute first batch P67 (B2) mainboard -- ZERO issues STILL and i got it the day BEFORE they recalled/stopped selling them

[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Which USB 3 are we talking about? Is it Intel ones that's affected, or all of them like Renesas?If it's just Intel's why can't Intel just disable them and let mobo makers use 3rd party USB 3 chipsets instead.[/citation]

Id still take the somewhat broken Intel USB 3 over the absolutely useless USB3 from 3rd party manufacturers, they never work properly from experience (wireless broadband + NEC usb3 = bsod etc)

On a side note, has anyone actually noticed the native XHCI/USB3 support in Windows 8 yet?

dgingeri

Distinguished
Intel even supposedly states that it won't have any impact on the release of Haswell-based CPUs, and will likely be resolved in future processor stepping.

That alone is a game breaker. Intel's previously dubious integrity would be even further eroded. They should not release a chip with this level of annoyance factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.