Report: Intel-powered Win 8 Tablets in Stores by November

Status
Not open for further replies.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Lenovo has mentioned Intel's Core family of processors for this Windows 8 machine and CNet's source didn't touch on that market segment, just devices based on Clover Trail (Atom). *pukes*

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
WAKE ME UP WHEN SOMEONE RELEASES A REAL IPAD COMPETITOR!!!!!!

(This isn't it. Keep dreaming / being mad / crying A LOT on here with your $hit cryDroid products).

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I will be ready to drop ~$1,200 on a i5 Ivy Bridge, HD 4000, 16000x900+, 8+ hours battery, x86 tablet from Samsung. I don't want a ultrabook nor do I need a laptop after having a desktop.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
so I'm sure I'm not supposed to say anything "because the guy stated NDA" - I was in a meeting recently with a couple Microsoft technicians on an unrelated project, and one of them showed me an unreleased Samsung tablet running a core i5 with Windows 8. It was very responsive but also freaken huge (had to be 12 or 13 inch) and heavy. But it would have to be that large if they want to be a desktop/laptop replacement. It also was NOT that intuitive to use. They said it would come with a training video on where/how to swipe in order to do everything. Don't get me wrong, once you get used to it I'm sure it would become second nature, but having to watch a video on how to use a consumer product doesn't instill confidence in me. The reason Apple is so successful is because their stuff is so easy anyone can pick it up and use it within a matter of a few minutes of playing. And no, I'm not an apple fanboy. I just hope Microsoft does better with this than I think they actually will.

I also gave them a little crap about taking away the start menu and they just rolled their eyes. they said "oh you wouldn't believe how angry people are!" yeah, no kidding, you think you know better than what the public actually wants. Unfortunately I couldn't on the offensive about it because we have to work with these people on that project but god I wanted to lay into them. Give me what I want, not what YOU think I should have!

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]DaddyW123[/nom]so I'm sure I'm not supposed to say anything "because the guy stated NDA" - I was in a meeting recently with a couple Microsoft technicians on an unrelated project, and one of them showed me an unreleased Samsung tablet running a core i5 with Windows 8. It was very responsive but also freaken huge (had to be 12 or 13 inch) and heavy. But it would have to be that large if they want to be a desktop/laptop replacement. It also was NOT that intuitive to use. They said it would come with a training video on where/how to swipe in order to do everything. Don't get me wrong, once you get used to it I'm sure it would become second nature, but having to watch a video on how to use a consumer product doesn't instill confidence in me. The reason Apple is so successful is because their stuff is so easy anyone can pick it up and use it within a matter of a few minutes of playing. And no, I'm not an apple fanboy. I just hope Microsoft does better with this than I think they actually will.I also gave them a little crap about taking away the start menu and they just rolled their eyes. they said "oh you wouldn't believe how angry people are!" yeah, no kidding, you think you know better than what the public actually wants. Unfortunately I couldn't on the offensive about it because we have to work with these people on that project but god I wanted to lay into them. Give me what I want, not what YOU think I should have![/citation]

Oh please. Apple iPad isn't that easy to use. How do I go back? How do I bring up multitasking? All of those things are learned. Also, apple doesn't have a start button. The start screen is still their if you type in metro or hit the windows key.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Lets pray that these tablets are stuck with crappy intel atom chips, 1GB of RAM, and a spinning hdd at 5400 rpm.[/citation]

I was wondering why I was getting dislike. I meant to say aren't. Isn't it crazy how just one word could screw up what you are saying. Anyways, I want $1,200 for a good tablet with a dock, blutooth keyboard, and mouse.

USHypertraxx

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
i dunno, i just wait my time until Windows 8 hit the stores, than when it fails (as i'm sure it will) i will tell everyone: HA told you so. And than i feel good... But on they otherside i feel used, used by microsoft for not making a normal DESKTOP vesion of Windows 8. Coz i really want to give it a change, but not without a option to disable the metro crap, see i have over 3 screens here, so that means i have over 80 inch of metro apps infront of me -.-. Let them please make an option to cut the crap and start business.

G

You don't want a tablet phlimphlam, you want a convertible. A $1200 hand held tablet is unusable as just a plain tablet. As for the Atom, these are clovertrail Atoms which are more powerful Medfield chips with dual core CPUs in them. They are excellent performers and have excellent battery life. They are not the phone chips, but upgraded versions of them that aren't quite as power efficient but plenty efficient enough for tablets.

An i5 tablet simply won't exist. An i5 is not an SOC. i5 ULV small form factor will be in the form of the convertible.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Chalaloco[/nom]You don't want a tablet phlimphlam, you want a convertible. A $1200 hand held tablet is unusable as just a plain tablet. As for the Atom, these are clovertrail Atoms which are more powerful Medfield chips with dual core CPUs in them. They are excellent performers and have excellent battery life. They are not the phone chips, but upgraded versions of them that aren't quite as power efficient but plenty efficient enough for tablets. An i5 tablet simply won't exist. An i5 is not an SOC. i5 ULV small form factor will be in the form of the convertible.[/citation]

Have you seen the Samsung 7 Series. i5 in a tablet. I don't want a keyboard stuck to my screen. I rather have a seperate keyboard.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]there's already loads of windows 7 tablets on the market.[/citation]
... what is the percentage of use?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]there's already loads of windows 7 tablets on the market.[/citation]
Those are tablet PCs, more like. Not SoC stuff.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]USHypertraxx[/nom]i dunno, i just wait my time until Windows 8 hit the stores, than when it fails (as i'm sure it will) i will tell everyone: HA told you so. And than i feel good... But on they otherside i feel used, used by microsoft for not making a normal DESKTOP vesion of Windows 8. Coz i really want to give it a change, but not without a option to disable the metro crap, see i have over 3 screens here, so that means i have over 80 inch of metro apps infront of me -.-. Let them please make an option to cut the crap and start business.[/citation]

You are misinformed. With multiple monitors, the metro start screen only shows up on one screen. The others just show the desktop (supposedly each has its own taskbar). And of course, you can always get to the desktop on the metro screen, as well. Think of it as a full screen start menu.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]iamvortigaunt[/nom]You are misinformed. With multiple monitors, the metro start screen only shows up on one screen. The others just show the desktop (supposedly each has its own taskbar). And of course, you can always get to the desktop on the metro screen, as well. Think of it as a full screen start menu.[/citation]

Corner gestures are a bitch on a middle screen. Also, who wants a full screen start menu? Also, with Metro, Microsoft is moving the desktop to legacy-land, so if Metro takes off, there probably won't even be a desktop mode in Windows 9 or 10.

There is no going around the fact that Metro is bad for desktop productivity applications.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Corner gestures are a bitch on a middle screen. Also, who wants a full screen start menu? Also, with Metro, Microsoft is moving the desktop to legacy-land, so if Metro takes off, there probably won't even be a desktop mode in Windows 9 or 10.There is no going around the fact that Metro is bad for desktop productivity applications.[/citation]

Yeah, the usage models may have to change. We may have to get used to not having anything "under" our programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.