News Report: Intel Prioritizing CPU Production Over Coronavirus Precautions

Prior to the outbreak, Intel already suffered from manufacturing issues, and with the success of AMD's Ryzen CPUs, Intel has been witnessing increasing pressure to sort out the manufacturing delays.

To solve its problems, there have been reports of Intel outsourcing chip production.
Yeah I very much doubt that intel is feeling any pressure or is trying to increase their production because of the "success" of ryzen.
qnZ6hVw.jpg

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
This is complete bull. The measures we've taken at not just the Oregon facility but our sites around the world are second to none. Safety is 1st at Intel. Hell, I'm working on a plasma etch tool right now from my garage.

May 9, 2020
Ocotillo has lots of great measures in place. OC23 wasn't built with space in mind for people so we are occasionally closer than we should be but overall its better than going to the grocery store. If Intel wants to improve, make the work from home option permanent. Call it part of an environmental improvement project for all those bad air days we keep getting emails about. I can control the tools just as well from home as I can in the office area or at a station controller and 99% of communication is by phone or email anyways.

Co BIY

Splendid
Sounds like very minimal complaints to me. In a worldwide company not surprising to have grousers and ninnies spun up over the over-hyped China cold.

At my workplace the same people complaining loudest when we had a mask shortage (requiring reuse and little management pressure to wear) are the same ones complaining now that we have to wear them 100% of the time strictly enforced.

Some people aren't happy unless they are complaining.

Who cares, honestly.

I think COVID is so far overblown its not even funny.

I don’t understand how you can think Covid-19 is overblown when nobody knows anything about this virus. It’s a new virus. There’s no medicine that will help you. You clearly don’t know anyone that has suffered yet. You’re comment is ignorant on its face because no one knows. Literally no one knows. How that doesn’t terrify you is troubling or maybe you assume this virus won’t mutate and kill more people. 265,862 lives lost so far. That’s your grand mother, mother, sister, daughter... those numbers are people family and pain of a lost loved one who didn’t have to die.

Two hundred sixty five thousand eight hundred sixty two lives lost. And you wanna say that is overblown is disgusting.

which by the way if you’ve been infected already and lived you are now more vulnerable to this virus if you get it again because it mutates.

I don’t care if I get band because these comments are ignorant.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Individual values and perspectives vary...

Just under 300,000 currently out of 8 billion?
That's under 4% of the world population. Some people will think it's overblown with numbers like that.

I do in fact know someone a person (a coworker of a close family member) that tested positive COVID (let's call them steve). In addition, a person in direct contact with Steve had symptoms of COVID in January but was not tested and likely gave it to Steve. Chances are both had it though only one was confirmed, yet both are back to work and are at 100% health.

The USA allows for doctors to mark anyone a COVID death that they THINK had COVID, even if every single test showed negative. This will negate the cases of COVID that were never tested.

Since this outbreak started, the CDC shows the number of FLU deaths and pneumonia deaths has declined, indicating either fewer people arent getting these diseases or doctors are marking flu and pneumonia deaths as COVID in order to get more government funding. Likely a combination of both since people arent out as much to catch the flu, but there is much evidence of doctors falsely marking deaths as COVID in order to gain funding.

Some local cases were someone that had kidney failure and contracted COVID. They went off of dialysis and died because of the kidneys, yet the doctors marked it as a COVID death, which it was not directly. I also heard of someone that had COVID and had a heart attack that they died from, but they marked the death as COVID, not a heart attack.

Yes, it is far overblown.

There should be precautions, however, the amount we have currently where I live is far excessive.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020

None of what you said makes any sense. In the USA doctors don't mark cause of death. Cororanors and medical examiners do. Guidance is for hemodialysis to continue for those with covid. Flu decline followed its natural decline concurrently with the rise of covid-19. People don't die of flu or covid. They die of the pneumonia that results, highlighting you need to stop right there and listen to authorities and not some conspiracy blog.

Last edited:

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
You do realize that those numbers are low because governments ARE taking this so seriously...right? IF it wasn't being "overblown", those numbers would be MUCH MUCH HIGHER. You're welcome conspiracy theorists and idiots not able to comprehend what a pandemic looks like.

Signed,

Actual government and doctors who put the world on lockdown to buy you TTL.

(That stands for Time to Live. Unless of course you'd rather just be right about everything, and die. I'm ok with that, are you?)

Reactions: King_V

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
I worked for a semi-conductor plant as well as just having got out of the hospital (where I tested negative for ChiCom virus). The PPE the clean room workers wear is every bit as protective as that currently being worn in emergency and ICU hospital settings. Further the continual purification and fresh air introduction of a semi-conductor facility is far better than a hospital.

larkspur

Distinguished
None of what you said makes any sense. In the USA doctors don't mark cause of death. Cororanors and medical examiners do. Guidance is for hemodialysis to continue for those with covid. Flu decline followed its natural decline concurrently with the rise of covid-19. People don't die of flu or covid. They die of the pneumonia that results, highlighting you need to stop right there and listen to authorities and not some conspiracy blog.
Most states and counties in the USA require coroners to have a physician's license. Medical examiners in every state require a Doctorate of Medicine. They are called doctors. Deaths related to CV-19 in the USA are not always due to pneumonia. All countries have different reporting requirements when it comes to CV-19-related deaths. As NighthawkRMX said, the USA is very loose with its designation as a CV-19 death - the current guidance only requires the medical examiner to 'suspect' that CV-19 was merely one factor in the cause of death.

Despite the wide availability of flu vaccines (that vary each year in effectiveness), in the 2017-2018 flu season, the CDC estimates that 39,000,000 to 58,000,000 people in the USA contracted influenza. Of those, between 18,000,000 and 27,000,000 medical visits were a result of contracting flu. Of those, between 620,000 to 1,400,000 required hospitalization. And of those between 46,000 and 95,000 died from influenza-related illness. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html

It's not even %1.
It's not even 1% of 1% that have actually died from it.

Of course, I do think keeping people at home and away from gatherings as much as possible is a good idea, and something people should try to follow. The disease spreads similar to the flu, which is itself quite contagious, and around half a million people die from the flu each year worldwide, with tens of thousands of deaths in the United States alone. This coronavirus appears to be somewhere around ten times as lethal though, so that could easily result in upward of several million deaths worldwide without mitigations beyond what we normally see for the flu. As it is though, with things like stay-at-home orders and business closures in place, so far deaths and recorded infections have remained roughly on par with a typical flu season. Dropping the number of deaths by what is probably around 90% arguably makes such mitigations worthwhile. Actually, if they were more strictly followed, it's possible that public spread of the disease could have largely ceased by this point.

Since this outbreak started, the CDC shows the number of FLU deaths and pneumonia deaths has declined, indicating either fewer people arent getting these diseases or doctors are marking flu and pneumonia deaths as COVID in order to get more government funding.
It makes sense that fewer people would be dying of the flu, since mitigations to reduce the spread of the coronavirus will also reduce the spread of the flu. So logically yes, they should decline. Actually, this could potentially be good for reducing flu deaths in the long-term if people learn to take more precautions in the future, such as by wearing masks in public and staying home as much as possible if they are sick, or at greater risk of complications.

Yeah I very much doubt that intel is feeling any pressure or is trying to increase their production because of the "success" of ryzen.
I sometimes wonder if those who go out of their way to make an anti-AMD post in every article mentioning the company are getting paid for them directly, if they are just trying to manipulate stocks for themselves, or if they just like the competing company a little too much, a bit like those guys who get into brawls at sporting events. : P

I sometimes wonder if those who go out of their way to make an anti-AMD post in every article mentioning the company are getting paid for them directly, if they are just trying to manipulate stocks for themselves, or if they just like the competing company a little too much, a bit like those guys who get into brawls at sporting events. : P
What you should be wondering is why such an completely irrelevant and also completely false statement gets added to any article even remotely to do with how or what intel is currently doing.
Coronavirus=well obviously AMD is pushing intel hard... :\
I sometimes wonder if those who go out of their way to defend the undefendable are getting paid for them directly, if they are just trying to manipulate stocks for themselves, or if they just like the competing company a little too much, a bit like those guys who get into brawls at sporting events. : P

What you should be wondering is why such an completely irrelevant and also completely false statement gets added to any article even remotely to do with how or what intel is currently doing.
The article barely even touched on that, and it was only part of a single sentence referring to both manufacturing issues and increased competition from AMD, with the primary focus being on the delays, where Intel is in fact multiple years behind on their planned roadmap.

Your response was to claim that Ryzen hasn't been a "success" for AMD, pointing to stock prices indicative of them still being a much smaller company than Intel, and ignoring the fact that they are doing much better off than they were pre-Ryzen.

At the very least, it should be clear that Intel has been pressured to slash prices for a given core count to a fraction of what they were a couple years ago. Up until Coffee Lake, Intel was selling 4-core, 8-thread chips as their $300+ high-end processors. After Ryzen came out, Intel felt the need to cut the price of that performance level down to the mid-range i5s, and now the low-end i3s. Meanwhile, they're doing the same with their HEDT parts, slashing prices by up to 50% from one generation to the next. Do you really think Intel would be doing that so quickly if they weren't feeling any pressure from the competition?

So yes, that statement in the article is arguably correct. As for why they added that part, they want people to follow the link to read another article on their site with the hopes of getting more ad-revenue. That seems to be a common trend with the articles here lately, so it's not particularly surprising to see them grasping for ways to link other articles. : P

Your response was to claim that Ryzen hasn't been a "success" for AMD, pointing to stock prices indicative of them still being a much smaller company than Intel, and ignoring the fact that they are doing much better off than they were pre-Ryzen.
My response was to claim that ryzens success didn't pressure intel into anything.
As to if it is a success or not anybody can judge for themselves.
What I posted are PROFITS, not stock prices, for the last 3 years showing that intel has doubled their profits from the time zen was released.AMD's profits are better as well but not by that much,they had a crash in profits when they announced zen but compared to fx and earlier the profits are basically the same.
At the very least, it should be clear that Intel has been pressured to slash prices for a given core count to a fraction of what they were a couple years ago. Up until Coffee Lake, Intel was selling 4-core, 8-thread chips as their $300+ high-end processors. After Ryzen came out, Intel felt the need to cut the price of that performance level down to the mid-range i5s, and now the low-end i3s.
Intel has double the profit by doing that,they weren't pressured into reducing prices or raising core count they were pressured into not doing it for so long,intel could have had these kind of profits ever since haswell.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
If I was running massive payroll databases fed by multiple download locations, coordinating with taxing, pension and 401K records as well as extensive direct deposit employee accounts, I would probably desire a behemoth multi-threaded monster CPUs like the top AMD models.

At last instead, I search the internet, use MS Office, watch TV online, listen to I-Heart and game on my 4k 28" monitor. Intel makes the fastest and best CPUs for that and Nvidia makes the top gaming GPU cards for 4K. Its really just that simple.

TRENDING THREADS