Report: iPhone 5S Launch Date; Apple's Reputation on the Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanhmusic

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I'll be upgrading from a 4s to this.

I am a fan of apple but not a fanboy - I recognize that other companies now make better smartphones but I like the interface and I don't want to leave it yet. Maybe later I'll try android again but my last use of it was less than satisfactory because I am used to the iOS.

As a T-Mobile customer using a factory unlocked device, the support for the correct wireless specs is important, having no service is getting tiring. Since T-Mobile now sells the iPhone, one would presume upcoming models would have support for the correct T-Mobile bands.

Sure, it's probably not going to be revolutionary but as long as its an evolution of the current product, many people will buy it. Doesn't make them blind iSheep, it makes them comfortable. What's wrong with comfortable? Some people don't have the time it takes to jump around OSs and phones, constantly learning how to use them again and again - doesn't mean we should hate on them. I am one of those people. I'm sure if I had started on Android and tried to switch to iOS, I wouldn't have liked I started on iOS and am comfortable there - no need to switch for me and many others.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
This guy above me is right. People will still buy it no matter what and no offense, but they will believe until the end of time that it is superior when in fact they are simpleton phones that make people who are normally uneasy with electronics feel somewhat savvy or even smart. Change scares these people and comfort and simplicity along with "look how cool I am that I can afford an Apple product" will keep their sales rolling.

There will always be these types of people. They are not going any where and neither is apple. Btw, yes, I know there are much "better" alternatives. I own one, so I'm not an Apple salesman or anything, I'm just saying.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
theyd have to do much better than lighter, and faster to impress anyone now. fingerprint sensor on home button sounds like a nice feature to bypass that pesky lock screen, so long as its efficient. waterproof phone is also a very cool idea so long as its usable for me to take pictures and videos underwater along the coral reefs(longshot that will likely not happen in a LOOOONG time in a good phone). they must not dare to ever launch an official (alpha test) replacement app for anything ever again or else theyre really screwed. the small tablet killer(ipad mini) proved to not be as terrifying as OEMs thought and the bigger iphone didnt hurt the android market much either. everyone and their mothers apparently have Galaxy S3s at my college now. they need something truly innovative and new to the phone market.

I personally wont be upgrading from my oldish evo v anytime soon.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]masterofevil22[/nom]This guy above me is right. People will still buy it no matter what and no offense, but they will believe until the end of time that it is superior when in fact they are simpleton phones that make people who are normally uneasy with electronics feel somewhat savvy or even smart. Change scares these people and comfort and simplicity along with "look how cool I am that I can afford an Apple product" will keep their sales rolling. There will always be these types of people. They are not going any where and neither is apple. Btw, yes, I know there are much "better" alternatives. I own one, so I'm not an Apple salesman or anything, I'm just saying.[/citation]

General assumption that is -again- incorrect. If you have a personal problem with Apple products (iPhone) why do you feel the need to insult the people who use it? Are you still a child or do you still have a child mentality?

People use the phone because they enjoy it, they enjoy its features, its style, etc. They all have their reasons and if you feel superior because you use a different phone, or feel like you're not "Conforming", grow up.

Im honestly tired of these immature adults/children alike insulting people because their preference of phone is different then what they prefer... I know it won't stop, but damn.

Anyways, to the topic on hand. I am disappointed that innovation has basically came to a stand still. Their interface is still the same after how many years? No real improvements on anything, I feel like my phone is very old and out dated now. I will be switching to a new phone if this keeps up.

Yeah. Problem is, all the "innovative" features have been just copied and modified by Apple, and now they're stuck with the fact that real innovation is way better advertised and becomes common knowledge before Apple has a chance to steal it and patent it. Slowly but surely other companies have been waking to this truth and have been protecting their intellectual property better than before, thus making it more difficult for Apple to "improve" on it without anyone noticing until is too late. When Apple tries to actually make something on their own... Apple Maps comes to mind.
"Apple's Reputation on the Line..."
LOL. Only "reputation" they got is they made very good friends with some Californian judges. That, and they love to throw their weight around trying to intimidate others in courts. They're the "tech-bully" of modern times.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
Well, I'm not going to cast stones until some confirmed features start appearing, but if its anything like in the past, I'm gearing up for another disappointing release that will center around bigger and stronger screens, faster hardware, and more required apps that either no one uses or will be overshadowed by another app that does the same thing but better.

Seriously, screens are already big enough to watch full HD movies, and phones are already fast enough that only people who care about serious gaming on their phones will benefit from the new hardware. At this rate, Android is going to leave iOS in the dust if only because there are a lot more people working on Android than on iOS in experimental design, and that's because Android is basically open source now while Apple has their iOS in an innovative headlock-full nelson combo.

Pick up your feet, Apple. Your hundreds of billions of dollars can only get you so far. Stop being so paranoid and allow people not on your payroll to tinker with your stuff. I promise you that innovation and popularity will skyrocket faster than SimCity server overloads on launch day.

cowasaki

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I've owned every model of iPhone other than the 4 right up to the 5 and I would agree with what has been said by many. There is little in the way of innovative additions. Things like a new cable or a faster wireless connection I can't use don't do it for me.... I have multiple contracts with the family using the time and me getting the new phones as the contracts come up and them taking it in turns with the old ones so I get a new phone every 6-9 months. I have just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to replace my iPhone5 and I absolutely love it. I can't even sell the iPhone5 as nobody wants it..... Oh well I'm sure it will go eventually but better make sure it is soon before the new one comes out :)

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]cowasaki[/nom]I've owned every model of iPhone other than the 4 right up to the 5 and I would agree with what has been said by many. There is little in the way of innovative additions. Things like a new cable or a faster wireless connection I can't use don't do it for me.... I have multiple contracts with the family using the time and me getting the new phones as the contracts come up and them taking it in turns with the old ones so I get a new phone every 6-9 months. I have just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to replace my iPhone5 and I absolutely love it. I can't even sell the iPhone5 as nobody wants it..... Oh well I'm sure it will go eventually but better make sure it is soon before the new one comes out :)[/citation]

Not sure why you can't sell an iPhone 5, since "nobody wants it." I quick search on eBay shows a 16gb version still around (Verizon)~$550 for like new. I only know this because I've been craigslisting and eBaying to find the best deal for one of these suckers for a family member. Always a deal seeker at heart no matter the item purchased. You can get some flawed ones for less...

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Fingerprint will come soon, and the timing is right. Apple didn't blow $365 million for Authentc for nothing - they're obviously going to be using their technology in devices soon. iPhone 5 was too soon as it came out only a few months after they bought Authentec.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Yeah. Problem is, all the "innovative" features have been just copied and modified by Apple, and now they're stuck with the fact that real innovation is way better advertised and becomes common knowledge before Apple has a chance to steal it and patent it. Slowly but surely other companies have been waking to this truth and have been protecting their intellectual property better than before, thus making it more difficult for Apple to "improve" on it without anyone noticing until is too late. When Apple tries to actually make something on their own... Apple Maps comes to mind. "Apple's Reputation on the Line..."LOL. Only "reputation" they got is they made very good friends with some Californian judges. That, and they love to throw their weight around trying to intimidate others in courts. They're the "tech-bully" of modern times.[/citation]
Always knew you were an idiot. This post just confirms it.

BurnbyTheiTroll

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
ericburnby 04/01/2013 7:03 PM

Always knew you were an idiot. This post just confirms it.

Says the guy whose only comeback is an insult! You truly an iTroll.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Apple cannot fight against a whole industry. Their isolationist attitude is destined to fail in the long run. No matter how much revenue Apple seems to be getting now, there are a lot more people working OUTSIDE Apple than those work within Apple. Numeric superiority is strength and therefore the non-Apple industry as a whole will eventually out-innovate Apple at a much cheaper cost too. No matter what kind of new devices (Apple TV, watch, whatever) Apple is able to "re-invent", the industry will soon be able to come up with alternative design that rivals and eventually surpasses Apple. If Apple management is smart, they will use their cash pile to diversify as much as possible so that there are many revenue streams to support the future operations. Trying to hold on to a few products and think their (past) market leadership will last forever is nothing but a delusion.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I would personally think a fingerprint scanner is a gimmick and not necessary on a phone. If your really worried about security, a password would suffice in my opinion.

This is my personal opinion, but I feel a its a gimmick that will only add an additional point of failure. My old laptop had a finger scanning and it was really finicky...sometimes it would take numerous scans to read and then it failed after a few years.

I'd much rather like to see all phone manufacturers work on improving battery life. I don't care if I've got the thinnest phone, I'd rather have a thicker device with a beefier battery that could get over current average of 6-10 hours.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I have both I5 and S3.

I like S3 notification bar, where I can easily turn on / off individual features. But I hate the push services (my phone become something which I am not used to be), as well as getting laggy after installing a few more apps.

I5 even though fall short in hardware specs, it really give me a piece of mind.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]Not sure why you can't sell an iPhone 5, since "nobody wants it." I quick search on eBay shows a 16gb version still around (Verizon)~$550 for like new. I only know this because I've been craigslisting and eBaying to find the best deal for one of these suckers for a family member. Always a deal seeker at heart no matter the item purchased. You can get some flawed ones for less...[/citation]

It's pretty telling about the people that read this when they vote down your comment even though it's true. I've sold my ancient 4 for $300 when the 5 came out... Don't waste your breath or time writing here - it's like having a conversation with a radio.

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
I think smartphones has reached some kind of limit very fast. It is a little bit like desktop computers and laptops: for along time buying a faster/larger memory/larger hard drive/better graphic card.. PC was really improving experience for most users, but now even the low end computers can handle 90% of the usual tasks (browsing, multimedia, office..). People don't get any significant improvment from an upgrade anymore (of course I speak of the avergae user, not the people who welcome a 5% performance gain like gamers, engineers, 3D artists, developers, etc.) . I seems to me that smartphones have reached that state in a very very short time. Hardware is more than good enough to support all kind of applications, screens reached resolutions that are not even commonly available on laptops, RAM is increasing all the time, cameras are incredible, OS are great (and I don't care about the iOS/Android battle, I think they both work fine for different people)... My question is: why this race for better and better hardware if there is no application that will make use of it? But what do I know? I don't own a smartphone (just developing an application right now for iOS/Android, which is kind of ironic)

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
People lost long time ago the definition of a phone, now all you want is a pocket computer that you use it for photos , internet and games that has the ability to make phone calls and lost but not least to put it on the table when you are in a club just to show off. The last one is the most important for some.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Ericburnby, insulting House70 is not helping whatever cause you are championing. Unless you troll intentionally?[/citation]
Nobody trolls unintentionally
But I think the article is rightly pointing out that Apple has kind of lost it's shine

Status
Not open for further replies.