Report: Microsoft Interested in Buying Yahoo Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitecrowro

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Skype gone, Yahoo is next..
Market share war prone to be lost. These giants are already too big.
Spending billions instead of making your cloud (sites) better at raining dollars sounds desperate to me.

what do they have to gain from this? Bing is already kicking yahoo's butt, hotmail is sadly better than Y-mail (though y-mail is bigger I suppose), I just dont understand. It made sense when they were looking last time and Bing was entering the market, but now the only point would be to buy it in order to keep someone else from buying it.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Am i the only one who thinks they are actually after the instant messaging features only ? I mean they bought Skype now yahoo ... for Yahoo messenger ? And to be honest ... the eyecandy interface of MS`s Messenger combined with Yahoo`s texting and ease of use with Skype`s video calls would make the best instant messenger ever .. but that`s just my opinion.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Its just a sign, Microsoft is stright out of Ideas. It cant win , if it was not for the common practices of windows it would die.
I am a Netadmin.. we use all Server with Microsoft, I wish we could go back to Unix.. I miss Solaris. We even now have a few apples in our mist. once everything goes web based. MS pc's will start falling like leaves during Fall.
They need to step back and move in a diffrent direction.

G

BREAKING NEWS:
Microsoft enjoys throwing money out the window. More at 11.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]what do they have to gain from this? Bing is already kicking yahoo's butt, hotmail is sadly better than Y-mail (though y-mail is bigger I suppose), I just dont understand. It made sense when they were looking last time and Bing was entering the market, but now the only point would be to buy it in order to keep someone else from buying it.[/citation]

Eliminate the competition.

Microsoft is really doing us a favor. There's too much stuff on the net nowadays and useless companies like Yahoo need to be shut down, but they won't do it on their own, so go MS! Yahoo services are redundant; Google is way more useful.

[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]Its just a sign, Microsoft is stright out of Ideas. It cant win , if it was not for the common practices of windows it would die. I am a Netadmin.. we use all Server with Microsoft, I wish we could go back to Unix.. I miss Solaris. We even now have a few apples in our mist. once everything goes web based. MS pc's will start falling like leaves during Fall. They need to step back and move in a diffrent direction.[/citation]

I hope YOU will fall instead. Cloud computing is death of consumer computing's freedom.

davidgrenier

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
[citation]I hope YOU will fall instead. Cloud computing is death of consumer computing's freedom.[/citation]

He wasn't stating he was supporting it, just that's what's inevitably gonna happen. And just to stress the point I'm gonna repeat it:

once everything goes web based. MS pc's will start falling like leaves during Fall.

dgingeri

Distinguished
When I was in high school, there was this girl that kept telling my friends she was interested, and then we I was getting ready to ask her out, she'd tell them she wasn't anymore. This went on for almost a year and a half. (She was a freshman when I was a junior, she and many of my friends were in theater club, but I wasn't, so I rarely saw her directly. Most of our interaction was through friends.) It was so annoying. In the end, we never did go out. (She was cute, but not too bright. Really not my type.)

I'm thinking this is probably what will happen with MS and Yahoo. There will be constant rumors, MS backing off, and finally Yahoo declares bankruptcy and MS buys all their patents, leaving the company itself to flounder and die.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

It is not inevitable. If the consumers realize the massive disadvantages of it, cloud computing will go down the drain, where it belongs.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i'd like my data with inside my pc's storage and not on some faraway storage which might fail any time and inconvenience me (even if the cloud storage had fail-proof systems in place).[/citation]

So... no webmail for you? What if your hard drive dies or your computer gets stolen... or your house burns down (and you happen to keep your backups inside your house)? Those things happen way more often than irretrievable data loss in mainstream cloud based services.

You cloudophobes are so silly, your e-mail already resides "in the cloud" until you download it (and may even stay on the server if you use IMAP) and I doubt even half of you have any important data to be worried about. It's all just fear of change... the thing that happens to old people.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]It is not inevitable. If the consumers realize the massive disadvantages of it, cloud computing will go down the drain, where it belongs.[/citation]

Cloud computing is the only thing that makes sense when you use multiple devices, IMAP or web mail access, Facebook, etc. And your data is safer in the cloud (on a server cluster spread across continents) than in your man-cave or wherever you keep your computer.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Cloud computing is the only thing that makes sense when you use multiple devices, IMAP or web mail access, Facebook, etc. And your data is safer in the cloud (on a server cluster spread across continents) than in your man-cave or wherever you keep your computer.[/citation]

The hell?! How is my data safer on the cloud?! Besides, I don't mind cloud-based services. I just want the software that runs fine locally - OS, games, etc. - to remain local.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]So... no webmail for you? What if your hard drive dies or your computer gets stolen... or your house burns down (and you happen to keep your backups inside your house)? Those things happen way more often than irretrievable data loss in mainstream cloud based services.You cloudophobes are so silly, your e-mail already resides "in the cloud" until you download it (and may even stay on the server if you use IMAP) and I doubt even half of you have any important data to be worried about. It's all just fear of change... the thing that happens to old people.[/citation]

My hard drive dies - lol, I have backups, and they're cheaper and more reliable than the "cloud". My house burns down - I'll have bigger things to worry about than my data; besides, I DO have backups outside my house :) I'm not afraid of data loss in the cloud; I just don't see why a consumer needs it.

Data is important if you make it important. Like your movies, games, music and pr0n? Then it's important to you.

And I'm not biting on the "old" bait... :D Not gonna work on me.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]The hell?! How is my data safer on the cloud?! Besides, I don't mind cloud-based services. I just want the software that runs fine locally - OS, games, etc. - to remain local.[/citation]

Well it's safer on the cloud because it's encrypted, there is redundant storage, backups, backup power and links, etc. On the other hand it's easy for someone to torch your house or to grab your laptop - and it happens way more often than irretrievable loss of data in cloud based services.

As for the local software, the whole idea of web-based software is that it should work on any machine with a web browser. It may seem like an attempt to keep taking money from consumers through subscriptions rather than selling the software once, but consider that there's never been more free software, especially web based services.

Also, if your data is somewhere "in the cloud" (if you're using multiple devices, collaborate with off-site colleagues,etc), what would be the advantage of having a desktop application that needs web based data to work? Especially with HTML 5, you can make all kinds of advanced interfaces.

The whole negative hysteria about cloud based computing is based on faulty risk assessment.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I just don't see why a consumer needs it.[/citation]

For example my dad had his laptop stolen twice in London (once by burglars, the other time by a mugger). All his business correspondence was in his Outlook inbox and his documents folder. He had backups but they weren't up to date and it took a while to set everything up. The cost of the hardware was miniscule compared to the time he wasted and the data he lost.

The average consumers don't even make backups and why should they? That's so '90s. Today my dad has a laptop with a browser and LibreOffice. He uses Gmail for business, has all the same capabilities and data on his smartphone and if he were to lose his laptop and smartphone tomorrow, he'd be up and running in literally 10 minutes (he lives 3 minutes from a store that sells laptops and smartphones).

That's more convenient than having and maintaining backups and the price for that convenience for him? $0.00 Making backups yourself costs time and money for the media.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Well it's safer on the cloud because it's encrypted, there is redundant storage, backups, backup power and links, etc. On the other hand it's easy for someone to torch your house or to grab your laptop - and it happens way more often than irretrievable loss of data in cloud based services.As for the local software, the whole idea of web-based software is that it should work on any machine with a web browser. It may seem like an attempt to keep taking money from consumers through subscriptions rather than selling the software once, but consider that there's never been more free software, especially web based services.Also, if your data is somewhere "in the cloud" (if you're using multiple devices, collaborate with off-site colleagues,etc), what would be the advantage of having a desktop application that needs web based data to work? Especially with HTML 5, you can make all kinds of advanced interfaces.The whole negative hysteria about cloud based computing is based on faulty risk assessment.[/citation]

No one will grab my laptop or torch my house; I guarantee that. I'm paranoid and my house has evil canine security xD Besides, I do not keep any data on internal hard drives. I have my external drives which I connect to whatever of my machines I want to view the data on and it eliminates all synchronization needs. (That's why I want a phone with USB-on-the-Go, too!)

There's a ton of free software out there.

I don't need multiple devices apart from a few computers, and if I would, they would be all doing a different thing instead of 5 devices that do the same thing (think Apple), and I wouldn't need to sync any data.

Forget that collaboration example; I'm talking consumer computing here. We use cloud services at work and that's fine, they actually kick ass, but please keep them away from my home PCs.

The negative hysteria about cloud based computing is based on the software developers' attempts to take away our locally ran software in order to make more money. OnLive? Cloud storage? It's all BS.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]For example my dad had his laptop stolen twice in London (once by burglars, the other time by a mugger). All his business correspondence was in his Outlook inbox and his documents folder. He had backups but they weren't up to date and it took a while to set everything up. The cost of the hardware was miniscule compared to the time he wasted and the data he lost.The average consumers don't even make backups and why should they? That's so '90s. Today my dad has a laptop with a browser and LibreOffice. He uses Gmail for business, has all the same capabilities and data on his smartphone and if he were to lose his laptop and smartphone tomorrow, he'd be up and running in literally 10 minutes (he lives 3 minutes from a store that sells laptops and smartphones).That's more convenient than having and maintaining backups and the price for that convenience for him? $0.00 Making backups yourself costs time and money for the media.[/citation]

We're not talking e-mail correspondence backups. That, by definition, should be cloud-based, unless, of course, you want your e-mail tied to one particular PC. I'm talking backing up a LOT of data. This is best left on your local storage.

The "average consumer" is stupid and causes the whole industry to degrade, sadly. If they don't take backups, they're stupid. I make sure to teach the importance of backups to my friends and family, and it pays off - when my mom decided to upgrade to Windows 7, I didn't need to do anything - I just popped in the DVD, erased the data on the hard drive, installed the OS and software and connected the external drive again. Up and running with all the data in under 2 hours. I want to see your cloud storage pull THAT off... especially with lousy bandwidth and data caps present in the US and several over countries.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]No one will grab my laptop or torch my house; I guarantee that. I'm paranoid and my house has evil canine security xD Besides, I do not keep any data on internal hard drives.[/citation]

So you're arguing that being paranoid, having guard dogs, multiple external hard drives and being stuck on one kind of device is safer and more convenient than being able to securely access data from anywhere through any device?

What if your dog gets sick and you have to take it to the vet immediately and someone breaks into your house and takes one of your external hard drives? :)

See, you're fighting a losing battle. Cloud based services are gaining ground because they're more convenient. If they turn out to suck, people won't be using them, however most people seem happy with web based email, Dropbox, Google Maps and similar applications.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]We're not talking e-mail correspondence backups. That, by definition, should be cloud-based, unless, of course, you want your e-mail tied to one particular PC. I'm talking backing up a LOT of data.[/citation]

Yes, your movies are best left on local storage... unless you bought them and can download them faster than you can watch them. Same with music... My games are all on Steam, and when I feel like playing DoD, I just download it and in 10 minutes it's ready to go. Game DVDs? Pffft, it takes the same amount of time to find the DVD and install the game as it does to get it through Steam. And it's only going to get better and faster (while DVDs remain the same speed and even Blue-ray is losing ground).

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Yeah!

Not my dog :kaola: Neighbours'. Well, IDK where you live, but in my area, nobody torches houses, and if thieves do break in, they go after money first.

You're trolling. I already said I'm NOT talking about Gmail, Google Docs, Dropbox and other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.