Report: Microsoft Killing Off Microsoft Points by Year's End

Status
Not open for further replies.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I am happy to see this go. The points was a ploy to disconnect the feeling you get spending money It was way to get you to spend more money for a download than you would for a physical disc. Many times after doing the conversion, I discovered that it would be cheaper to purchase the physical media than buy the downloadable version.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I miss the days when i purchased a whole game with all the conent... ntw we buy 75% of the game for 60 bucks and then m$ and PSN try to sell us the rest of it... I had given up on consoles for this reason letting my 360 be used for kinect only... but now that pc gaming seems to be going the same direction guess I'm glad I can jsu tpay cash instead of buying seperate points... still wish I just paid for the game and got the whole thing

darkgauntlett

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]johnsmithhatesVLC[/nom]But how will I buy dlc without a credit card / paypal?[/citation]

Think about how you buy the points now...

[citation][nom]darkgauntlett[/nom]Think about how you buy the points now...[/citation]

Probably buys the points at a retail location for Cash -- which means you can avoid having to enter any personal info that could be lost to hackers sue to their lack of security measures. (how many times recently have the Sony servers been hacked into !)

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Yeah basically you buy a $25 Xbox live "gift card" at a retail store, and add the unique card code to your profile.

Virtual currency systems tend to make lots of things complicated anyway. People trade points for accounts, points for live time, points for "powerleveling" and things like that. Not to mention possible scams.
This allows the possibility of more flexible pricing on items from now on as well. Not necessarily cheaper, but it allows the developing company to affix a realistic value on their content and the health of their business.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised to see a switch to an account-based system, like Steam, where you have to add funds to a wallet - which also has a $5 minimum requirement. That way, they enjoy additional simplicity because it's a straight currency-based system, but keep you on the hook for a minimum amount of money each time you add funds to your account.

vherub

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
For example, 4000 point cards have been for sale (from legit vendors) at $40. That's a significant discount that becomes unavailable.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]weatherdude[/nom]Good. I hope however Microsoft will sell prepaid cards for those who don't want to attach a credit card to their accounts.[/citation]
They already have those, they are called pre-paid credit cards. Go down to Wal-Mart and get one.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I'm assuming this will extend to all Live! purchases? I think I still have 100 points from when I bought the PC Fallout 3 expansions.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Thank god their getting rid of those stupid Xbox points.. however knowing microsoft they will probably just do this to raise the price of DLC even more.

And if they expect me to keep a minimum 5 dollars in some account (that probably actually belongs to them, as they own probably everything including your soul in the EULA), count me out. Its not a bank account.

I still hate DLC.. feels like the video game market is getting super greedy. Can't blame em though when everyone is buying it left and right.. ill probably sell chumps DLC too, if i ever develop a game.

G

Not looking forward to this myself, I have never paid full price for a point card and those deals may go away with this.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Never even heared of "Microsoft Points".
Seems like I am as far removed from reality as some of our politicians.
Hey, I am qualified to run for office then :)

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I won't miss the point system. I always thought it was goofy. Anytime I wanted to use points for something, I always had to buy more points than needed because of the pre-set "chunks". I'm glad this article ran because it reminded me to shut off my automatic renewal of my gold membership. I can't even remember the last time I turned my Xbox on. I still love the concept of video games, but the console market is REALLY stale right now. Last holiday season we got a handful of predictable sequels to games that really didn't change much. Oh well, it forces me to do other things.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
If I remember correctly the whole point of using points instead of just plain currency was because Microsoft always planned on being able to get points for contest and possibly even allow you to wager points. The problem was if they called it regular currency there was a problem with xbox live getting into the territory of online gambling.

kewlmunky

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
The system would have been somewhat useful had they sold points in amounts that were actually relevant to things you bought. You almost always have to buy 200 more points than needed. Sometimes you could even it out, depending on what you bought, but ultimately garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.