Report: Microsoft Surface Tablets to Be Wi-Fi-only at First

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This article is pure speculation. MS has not released specs and has kept reviewers of the device at a distance (meaning the final product is not done).

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I've read from digg that the Windows 8 version might be $999. While I've been waiting for a Windows tablet for a long while, I might skip the first generation unless the reviews are really good. I'm looking to replace my laptop completely, but $999 is still pretty steep.

worleyeoe

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Personally, I think the pricing hold back and subsequent rumors are meant to provide a pleasant surprise when the devices are released. $599 for the WinRT version would be a disaster. Even with the great value offered by the integrated case / keyboard / trackpad and Office, $499 would be pushing it. The Samsung GT2 can be had for $399. $50 for Office and $49 for the case / input device at most. People, this is just a 10.6" screen. It's not a full laptop replacement for most people. As for Pro, $999 wouldn't be bad if the screen was increased to ~12". And for goodness sake, MS, please offer a Clover Trail version at launch. It will have much better batter life and won't give up much in terms of power and performance.

G

What I hope happens here is that this new Microsoft Tablet is a grand success! The fact is, Apple has dominated in the phone and tablet market for far too long, and true competition has been scarce. I would love to see all three players fighting equally neck to neck for market share (i.e. Android, Apple, and Microsoft). For a long time now I’ve witnessed Apple dictate what we as consumers should want in a phone and/or tablet device and they have not really listened to any of their consumer complaints or consumer hardware feature-desires (nor did they have to). It may be that if Microsoft wins big on this, all three players will work again aggressively to dominate within this new tech area and they’ll all start to listen to their consumer base and add the hardware technical features that we as consumers want.

As an iPad owner (first generation) I’ve wanted an SD slot on my iPad, and also a USB Port, but Apple has dictated I neither need these nor do I really want these features, and hence I’m merely a confused consumer. However, with Microsoft now jumping into the ring (with these very features) and if they survive the initial first rounds, I’ll be willing to bet we see a change in Apple’s attitude and new competitive hardware features added to Apple products in the future. I also hope Android takes-off and brings out a few innovative surprises as well, as this will only add fuel to the fire and bring whole new levels of unique innovation into the mix. Competition is great, and is the very foundation of Capitalism (which I love) so let’s all hope all three survive and last into the coming decade!

G

As an Apple fan watching all the hype and reactions surrounding this tablet I really have to give it to Microsoft fans, they are a very optimistic bunch. I mean you folks are willing to take anything from Microsoft. Wow God bless you, the world needs more people like you.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]wrong. they have.http://www.microsoft.com/global/su [...] csheet.pdfThat's on their website, btw. surface.com.[/citation]

To yachtman's point, that's not a spec sheet, not a full one anyway. Those may be important details, but that's far from a complete picture of the final device. No mention of the specific processor, amount of RAM, type of graphics, that's really just a very bare list of features they've given, and, as the article indicates, there is no mention of the form of connectivity involved. I don't know whether the design is finished yet or not, but it would seem to me they still have a little time to add 3G or 4G if they want.

I expect that any delay in 3G or 4G options will have more to do with them trying to pick a carrier and work out the pricing on that end. MSFT hasn't been in this business before, so they don't have a norm to jump to, so they have to be careful, although the idea of selling a non 3G or 4G model only to sell one that has it a little later would probably be a bad idea.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Why would anyone buy a tablet with wireless when WiFi is so ubquitos?

[citation][nom]Martaan[/nom]As an Apple fan watching all the hype and reactions surrounding this tablet I really have to give it to Microsoft fans, they are a very optimistic bunch. I mean you folks are willing to take anything from Microsoft. Wow God bless you, the world needs more people like you.[/citation]

Considering how Apple treats its customers, you have little, if any, room to talk.

I'm still trying to figure out why 3G and 4G are 'needed' for the average user. Yes, the road warior, or the in-home business person could use it, but I am having a hard time trying to think of a place I go that does not have free wifi...
work, restaurants, church, coffee shops, several local businesses, anywhere down town (we have a free wireless network down town provided by the city), my home, all of my friend's homes... Really, other than while on the road (where I still have to drive until Google get's their car sorted out) there is no place I go that is not wifi capable. I only see this being a problem for a few power business users.

[citation][nom]Martaan[/nom]As an Apple fan watching all the hype and reactions surrounding this tablet I really have to give it to Microsoft fans, they are a very optimistic bunch. I mean you folks are willing to take anything from Microsoft. Wow God bless you, the world needs more people like you.[/citation]
Look, the pot is calling the kettle black!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
The Surface Pro is too thick and heavy to be a good tablet, and too tiny-screened and underpowered to be a productivity laptop.

Plus it's not really a laptop if you can't use the keyboard on your lap, and with that kickstand it's going to be tricky. If you need furniture to use the dedicated keyboard, this pretty much fails as an ultraportable laptop.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The Surface Pro is too thick and heavy to be a good tablet, and too tiny-screened and underpowered to be a productivity laptop.Plus it's not really a laptop if you can't use the keyboard on your lap, and with that kickstand it's going to be tricky. If you need furniture to use the dedicated keyboard, this pretty much fails as an ultraportable laptop.[/citation]Some laptops would actually burn your lap.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Who'd a guessed this would come from someone with one post! Troll away from the comfort of you mom's basement. Remember lotion prevents chaffing, that'll be very important for the rest of your life.[/citation]

Oh come on; let's all be nice now!
Just because he . . . oh, no . . . I am not going down that road :)

G

i personally prefer a wifi only version, especially if its cheaper. data plans are absurd in canada. im a student and almost everywhere i usually go has a wifi connection, be it school or a coffee shop. in my case a tablet with a data connection is totally overkill.

mataglap

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The Surface Pro is too thick and heavy to be a good tablet, and too tiny-screened and underpowered to be a productivity laptop.Plus it's not really a laptop if you can't use the keyboard on your lap, and with that kickstand it's going to be tricky. If you need furniture to use the dedicated keyboard, this pretty much fails as an ultraportable laptop.[/citation]

Actually you can use this on your lap pretty easily. Please see this review http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-tablet-1085839/review

Also they are pleanty powerful unless you except it to be a full on gaming replacement or act as a server which would just be silly. I have gotten to play with Win 8 Pro on an older tablet, it have an i5 core, and it was pleanty quick for every day applications like VS 2012 which was running on it.

mataglap

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
*sigh* one last try "Hands on: Microsoft Surface tablet review" http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-tablet-1085839/review. Sorry if this doesn't work is the "wrong" way to do it.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]To yachtman's point, that's not a spec sheet, not a full one anyway. Those may be important details, but that's far from a complete picture of the final device. No mention of the specific processor, amount of RAM, type of graphics, that's really just a very bare list of features they've given, and, as the article indicates, there is no mention of the form of connectivity involved. I don't know whether the design is finished yet or not, but it would seem to me they still have a little time to add 3G or 4G if they want. I expect that any delay in 3G or 4G options will have more to do with them trying to pick a carrier and work out the pricing on that end. MSFT hasn't been in this business before, so they don't have a norm to jump to, so they have to be careful, although the idea of selling a non 3G or 4G model only to sell one that has it a little later would probably be a bad idea.[/citation]
It says "2x2 MIMO antennae"...probably be wifi. But yeah it's more of a not techie spec sheet if you know what i mean. But it's not like they've said NOTHING at all about it.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

LOL that's like a cancer patient calling someone else "baldy".

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Yeah why would I want a tablet that runs a real operating system, can install any software I want on it and actually has something called security on it.[/citation]

Good plan Microsoft the number one name in secure operating systems! Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.