Report: Microsoft to Pay iPhone Users to Trade-in Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Windows 8.1 is already a better mobile OS than iOS on tablets, so this will only further carve out their portion of the market in mobile devices.

Good move. I'm also glad to see that, after years of allowing those hoodie-wearing, uninformed hippies to slam their products in commercials, that they are finally firing back.

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
I feel so bad for Microsoft. They seem to lose the battle with Apple... Why in the world you want to buy back competitor products????

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
And as much as BBerry is getting no love, bb10 by far is the best mobile OS. It's a shame really, only thing it lacks is a couple biggie apps that some want, instagram namely.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

How so? MS has had some serious hardware blunders resulting from the "late to the game" factor and the "throwing money at it" strategy, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day sometimes... The original XBOX was more or less a sacrificial lamb. They dumped tons of money into it, sold it at a loss, funded companies making games for it, etc etc. The XBOX was itself a failure, but it created mindshare which led to the XBOX 360 being something that was in the public eye so when it came out, people considered it seriously. That's the thing - people taking a product seriously is half the battle.

The other half is having a quality product. The reality is, Windows Phone is just that.. They're solid devices with a unique style that deliver what you want from a phone and hook up to a lot of good services very well. Not saying this is going to work, but hey, I'll bet they'll end up with at least a few hundred thousand more happy Windows phone users out of it.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Wow... $200 for a 4s or 5s? Gazelle offers more for such phones.

Apple and Samsung don't need some beggars trade-in... but if someone wants an Windows Phone and has some dusty 4s... it maybe worth it. Pick up a $100 MSNokia phone and gain $100 to spend at a store that isn't there. :)

Wait... does that include non-working iPhone4s? Then... it maybe worth it.

PS: TomITPRO gets NO blog usage because it requires a completely separate log-in system. Hint: not many people want to bother making ANOTHER account.... hence, no posts.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I'm curious... Why? My buddy has an S3 and it seems like a pretty slick phone. This coming from a Lumia 900 user.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
@stevejnb - I am a Microsoft developer and moving over to a windows phone would let me develop apps in a operating evironment and language I am already fluent in.

Plus while I love my SG4 phone Android still has a lot of problem. Most apps want too many permissions and consume resources like crazy and I am tired on constantly app hunting for an app that does not do that only to find out a few updates later that the developer decided to incorporate all the things I did not want.

Status
Not open for further replies.