Report: Nokia CEO Elop's Clock is Ticking on WP Gamble

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
In my opinion, WP is a nicer OS than either Android or iOS. Microsoft's biggest mistake was calling it Windows anything. The product is excellent, the marketing is not.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]In my opinion, WP is a nicer OS than either Android or iOS. Microsoft's biggest mistake was calling it Windows anything. The product is excellent, the marketing is not.[/citation]

Being pretty isn't everything, proprietary solutions suck, must use Zune to load music and videos, Fail. Must recode music and videos to use on phone, Fail. Cannot bluetooth pictures to another phone, Fail..... the list is long, the Fail is obvious, the fact that even bribing people to take the phones they can't get above 5% penetration Fail.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Give the guy a chance! WP8 is not even out yet.
I plan on buying a 920 as soon as they are released to my carrier. More and more people are hearing about WP and if they advertise well enough, I think there is a very good chance that the platform will catch on and grow.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
First of all, this site is a huge example as to why WP doesn't have the exposure it should which also leads to a lack of educated opinions on the product. In the past month, 3 of the largest OEMs in smartphones release WP8 hardware and Toms did not write one article. But the moment rumours surrounding any negetive press etc, here we have an article. But not one note on the new HTC 8X or Samsung Ativ or even the Lumia 920. I'd love to see an article about all the Windows 8 devices that were revealed this month too. Where is the article on the 20" tablet from Sony? Where are the hands on reviews? does Toms even get invited to tech events...probably not. Maybe that is why there is no decent article on this site anymore. Thumbs down me if you want...but the facts dont change.

mikolrayne

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Really feel kinda sorry for Elop. I personally find him a pretty decent guy, and he took over the company at a bad time. Hard to say if anyone else could do better than him. Personally I think the OS and overall build of Lumia 920 will be great. Can't wait for it to reach my carrier!

gumbedamit

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Why is it taking so long from the time they announced it until we can buy it. Apple announced their iflop5, oops I mean iPhone five after Nokia, and it will be available tomorrow, the 920, sometime in November,,, WTF!.. I have a Dell Streak that needs an upgrade, looking at the GN2 and the 920, want to get the 920 depending if its out this year... did I say WTF already?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]Being pretty isn't everything, proprietary solutions suck, must use Zune to load music and videos, Fail. Must recode music and videos to use on phone, Fail. Cannot bluetooth pictures to another phone, Fail..... the list is long, the Fail is obvious, the fact that even bribing people to take the phones they can't get above 5% penetration Fail.[/citation]

Are you on crack? You can use free music downloader app's from the wphone app store for music, or you can just drag items onto your skydrive and play them from your phone. The audio/video formats that the phone can use is substantial and nothing needs recoded.

As for the inability to transfer files via bluetooth, this is more of a "pressure from the music industry issue" then a "lack of functionality issue." and there are numerous applications that were created that add this functionality to the phone if you really want it.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]mikolrayne[/nom]Really feel kinda sorry for Elop. I personally find him a pretty decent guy, and he took over the company at a bad time. Hard to say if anyone else could do better than him. Personally I think the OS and overall build of Lumia 920 will be great. Can't wait for it to reach my carrier![/citation]I disagree,he could have do much better by releasing an Android phone for Nokia until Windows8 phone is ready.

Trying to stick his head on WP8 is not an good idea. Microsoft does not give Nokia WP8 exclusive. So why bother taking sides.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Are you on crack? You can use free music downloader app's from the wphone app store for music, or you can just drag items onto your skydrive and play them from your phone. The audio/video formats that the phone can use is substantial and nothing needs recoded.As for the inability to transfer files via bluetooth, this is more of a "pressure from the music industry issue" then a "lack of functionality issue." and there are numerous applications that were created that add this functionality to the phone if you really want it.[/citation]

No, but lets look at your defence, Down loader apps? poor quality, wastes your mobile data, Skydrive and stream to phone, messy work around and again wastes mobile data data, How much do the apps cost to fix the lack of Bluetooth functionality? What are they called, I have friends with Nokias who would love to use them.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]How much do the apps cost to fix the lack of Bluetooth functionality? What are they called, I have friends with Nokias who would love to use them.[/citation]Here's one.
It costs $0.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Here's one. It costs $0.[/citation]

Sorry that only works on jailbroken phones running fully unlocked, epic Fail.

[citation][nom]mikolrayne[/nom]Really feel kinda sorry for Elop. I personally find him a pretty decent guy, and he took over the company at a bad time. Hard to say if anyone else could do better than him. Personally I think the OS and overall build of Lumia 920 will be great. Can't wait for it to reach my carrier![/citation]

I've met him several times. He is a really nice guy

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ejb222[/nom]First of all, this site is a huge example as to why WP doesn't have the exposure it should which also leads to a lack of educated opinions on the product. In the past month, 3 of the largest OEMs in smartphones release WP8 hardware and Toms did not write one article. But the moment rumours surrounding any negetive press etc, here we have an article. But not one note on the new HTC 8X or Samsung Ativ or even the Lumia 920. I'd love to see an article about all the Windows 8 devices that were revealed this month too. Where is the article on the 20" tablet from Sony? Where are the hands on reviews? does Toms even get invited to tech events...probably not. Maybe that is why there is no decent article on this site anymore. Thumbs down me if you want...but the facts dont change.[/citation]

If you noticed they barely do articles on Android. Apple however.....

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
nokia won't be in this s*** if they go with android in the first place.

i lose my interest on win os, when i saw those ugly squares

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I agree that Apple basically stole the only way to make a truly good phone GUI by finding it and then patenting it.

The question is whether or not Android will continue to be able to use the crapple-style of GUI or whether they will be forced by crapple's lawyers to replace the current with something inferior. If the latter is the case, then WP8 could turn out to be the nicest non-crapple phone OS.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
It's not Nokia's fault. Microsoft is rather inconsistent when it comes to WP development. WP has always had the talent to be the top 1 phone OS, the very place Palm left long ago and they have lots of important software in house so there's no real excuse for them to skip features such as storage expansion which will only be avaiable with WP8. Even RIM is ahead of Microsoft when it comes to built-in OS features.

sivaseemakurthi

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Even if WP8 becomes successful, I doubt if Nokia can capitalize on it. People buy phones only from Apple or Samsung these days and Samsung makes windows phones.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom] the list is long, the Fail is obvious, the fact that even bribing people to take the phones they can't get above 5% penetration Fail.[/citation] WP7 never made it much beyond 1% (the other 1% is all the WP6.5 and older devices)...

If it takes MS 2 years to gain another 2% share in 2 years - that would double their user base.

When WP8 fails... Nokia should quickly shove on the Android OS onto the hardware and sell them instead. Only take a month or so to do this. All the hardware is in place.

bourne077

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Elop is a pawn and a spy for Microsoft, just my personal opinion. Nokia should have gone with Google and the Android OS. Nokia makes great hardware but just fell short on software. They could have done better with their own OS but didn't have the vision to do it justice. Now they are this much further behind in the race against time and I fear they may come close, although not nearly as in trouble, as RIM is to becoming irrelevant or perhaps even extinct. Again just my two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.