News Report: Nvidia Drops the Max-Q Name From RTX 30 Series Mobile GPUs

...and that Max-Q could make some people think it's a lesser GPU without considering the efficiency the technology brings.
That's because they are in fact lesser cards. A 3080 Max-Q won't even perform on-par with a desktop 3060 Ti, and hardware-wise is pretty much a massively-underclocked 3070, using a far smaller chip than the desktop 3080. It's a "3080" in name only, and even with the Max-Q branding was arguably something of a scam, tricking people into thinking they are getting something comparable to the enthusiast desktop part, when in reality the desktop part gets around 50% more performance. Without the Max-Q branding, if they are just calling it a 3080 with no indication that it is something else entirely, then that's even more of a scam. At least give it some form of different naming or numbering scheme. Call it an RTX 3080M or something that makes it more clear that it's different hardware from the desktop part.

f_u_006

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2013
I agree. This is a dishonest marketing strategy and Nvidia needs to be sued for this. Folks, lets try our best to raise awareness for this. OEMs are in this too. They didn't sold enough Turing Max-Q variants because if you check Notebookcheck.net, you'll see that a Mobile RTX 2080 Super Max-Q performs like a GTX 1660 while the Max-P variant performs very well. We really, really need to raise awareness in regards to this. A lot of novice PC gamers will be tricked into purchasing expensive laptops with Max-Q variant. This is a deliberate attempt to trick consumers!

A lot of companies do this, last was WD with their crappy HDD's hidden between good ones, with same name.
This is identical name should define performance. so if they would call it max-q35 or max-q70 then its ok (by the wattage used), for now its classic mess of hiding crappy parts between good ones.

Kiril1512

Distinguished
When I bought my RTX 2080 Max-Q I knew that I will get performance of somewhat RTX 2060-2070 desktop version. I bought it in a nice sale and I need a laptop that was powerful. But I see my friends looking to a 2080 Max-Q as a equivalent to the desktop version. So even if they removed the Max-Q naming, some people will see the gpu as the same as desktop and push people to buy it.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I agree. This is a dishonest marketing strategy and Nvidia needs to be sued for this. Folks, lets try our best to raise awareness for this. OEMs are in this too. They didn't sold enough Turing Max-Q variants because if you check Notebookcheck.net, you'll see that a Mobile RTX 2080 Super Max-Q performs like a GTX 1660 while the Max-P variant performs very well. We really, really need to raise awareness in regards to this. A lot of novice PC gamers will be tricked into purchasing expensive laptops with Max-Q variant. This is a deliberate attempt to trick consumers!

Completely agree with you. The MAX Q variants are less powerful than their mobile counterparts. E.g Mobile GTX1660ti > RTX 2060 Max Q. Putting it on to the consumer to figure this out, who may not have any idea of how much a 60w/80w TDP part will perform. It's just bad form IMO.