Report: Nvidia GeForce 700 Series Will Launch in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
This means those of us who have GTx 600 series can rejoice because they won't be depreciating in value any time soon. Woohoo! But on the other side, I really wanted the Maxwell to be released on October and compare the 2.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Sad news =*(. I've been patiently waiting for the 8000 series from AMD, before the delays I was looking into the Q1-Q2 timeframe of 2013 to buy the card (last we heard I guess it's Q4 now). This news doesn't sound good even though it's from Nvidia.
Some could argue that the current cards might be strong enough atm. Well, it depends on the person but certain configs such as Eyefinity, Surround, or 3D are more demanding and stresses even the powerful cards. Also, we are having 4K res screens filtering in. I'm just looking forward to a good jump of performance with the next series, but maybe it's just wishful tihnking.

timothy003

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
The GeForce 700 Series uses the Kepler Refresh architecture and has already been released for some mobile devices. Kepler's successor, Maxwell, will be introduced in 2014 as the GeForce 800 Series.

tslot05qsljgo9ed

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Old news rehashed with made up conclusions.

Slide if a direct copy from the GTC 2013 and is old news.

http://www.custompcreview.com/articles/gtc-2013-nvidia-maxwell-volta-next-generation-gpu-architectures/17680/

and refers to the HPC Big-Maxwell not to the Maxwell consumer parts.

With Kepler Nvidia released the GTX680 in March 2011 and the K20X (Big-Kepler) in November

So having Big-Maxwell in 2014 does not mean consumer Maxwell on 28nm won't happen sooner.

unknown9122

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
This is good news in a way. It lets the hardware and drivers marinate :D. But I agree with Warsaw, we will need the most power we can get for Battlefield 4. Sure, drivers will mature with in a few months, but new hardware could break that gap.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
How do you decipher the release date of the series based on that graph? Especially considering that Kepler is currently available on the high end spectrum, who is to say that the lower end GTX 700 series such as the GTX 760 or 750 wont be based on Kepler and be released later this year?

G

Horrible news for those of us waiting to upgrade from 2 years ago with 500 series cards. Im eager to upgrade from my 3Gb 580. The 680 wasn't really worth it but now this sucks a big one. I'm not going to wait and just going to say screw it and get a Titan when one comes in stock.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hopefully there will be a compelling offering that makes it worth upgrading my gtx460 which only just recently has started to feel long in tooth at 1080p

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Wow what a kick in the crotch! I was expecting at worst a holiday/end of year release. The only good thing to take from this is that there is a greater chance now that the 700 series won't just be a kepler refresh. My new plan is to buy the cheapest "respectable" GPU I can find and wait it out for the hopefully amazing 700 series. If it is just a kepler refresh though that will pretty much guarantee the 700 series as a flop or at least won't sell well. If we have to wait that much longer they better hit it out of the park and not just do a marginal upgrade.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Horrible news for those of us waiting to upgrade from 2 years ago with 500 series cards. Im eager to upgrade from my 3Gb 580. ...[/citation]

Why not get another for SLI?

[citation][nom]meluvcookies[/nom]Hopefully there will be a compelling offering that makes it worth upgrading my gtx460 which only just recently has started to feel long in tooth at 1080p[/citation]

What model do you have? Two in SLI run very nicely. Also, be careful not to confuse the
GPU's basic performance being a bottleneck vs. the VRAM capacity (do you have a 1GB
card?). Some games handle lesser VRAM amounts very well (this includes Crysis/Crysis2),
whereas others... not so much. Reducing AA will help of course. For reference, Crysis2 on
High detail with 8x CSAA uses 1240MB out of a 2GB card at 1920x1200, but it only goes up
to 1350MB at Ultra detail, ie. changing frmo High to Ultra doesn't add that much, it's the AA
that really gobbles up the VRAM (tweaking the game can help there). But in both cases, it's
perfectly playable with just a single 800MHz 460 1GB card and a mere dual-core i3 550; I
didn't know it was maxing out the RAM until I had a look with Afterburner, then tested with
a 2GB card to see how much it would grab if allowed to do so.

For reference, two mainstream 460s are a fair bit less than a single 670 in basic speed, while
two top-end 460s are very close. Two mainstream 560s are also a bit less than a single 670
mainly because most of them have rather pathetic base clocks (only around 800 or so), but
two 560 Tis are the same as a single 670 (more cores, and base clock of 900+), and two good
or oc'd 560Tis are better than a single 670 (here's my result).

Plenty of options on eBay. I bought a used 460 2GB card just a few minutes ago for 65 UKP.

Ian.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
That slide is old.... We saw that same roadmap slide a couple years. How exactly does that slide indicate that the 700 series has been pushed back to 2014? The slide doesn't show which GPU will occupy which series...

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Horrible news for those of us waiting to upgrade from 2 years ago with 500 series cards. Im eager to upgrade from my 3Gb 580. The 680 wasn't really worth it but now this sucks a big one. I'm not going to wait and just going to say screw it and get a Titan when one comes in stock.[/citation]
You could always get a 2nd 580 for SLI. Or you could wait for that rumored cut down Titan that's supposed to be $700, it should have a better price/performance ratio than the Titan.

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Little disappointing was hoping to get two 780gtx to replace my 580's.been putting off cleaning out my two 360rx rads till I got new cards. looks like I will have to break down and clean them out before the new year!

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I have a GTX 560 and it works wonderfully at 1080P, it provides 45 to 70 FPS in the most recent high end games which is outstanding. Why would i want to spend 400 plus dollars on a 600 series GTX card at this point. People love over kill on PC parts, i'd bet most people's hard drive can't even remotely keep up with the GPU they have......

if the next series comes up next year i hope it was maxwell based card and not kepler refresh. anyway it doesn't matter if the next series comes out next quarter or next year since i already plan on making sli setup using GTX660. already got one last week and will add another in a few months.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ibjeepr[/nom]Um, you guys showed this image in a previous article a while back and I even commented then that Maxwell was apparently early 2014[/citation]
They do it all the time. Post news a week or two late and then re-post the same late news a week later.

This info was released during GTC last month.

Tom's should simply link to AnandTech or Tech Report, and just do its articles and charts.

I hate to sound overtly cynical but i really wish the news section had some more analysis, or was more like "you read it here first".

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I don't expect AMD to make it into Q4 with their new line in large volume and I think NV will respond quickly as I think this is just them making sure they come after AMD to find out how fast their release drivers should be. No point in giving us more than they have to.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028408/amd-to-release-new-radeon-hd-8000-graphics-cards-in-2013.html
No different than AMD in this respect:
"With sales volumes continuing to ramp, it would be premature to launch a new series," officials said.

It's about time AMD started doing something smart, but then again they give away keys for Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite destroying any milking of the cow gains. Without the game codes they might actually get some profits. I don't call 11mil (if memory serves) for your gpu division a profit - especially when mixed with the HUGE LOSS of cpu etc.

"We have new products. We have a roadmap. We are not sitting still, we do not lack resources, and we do not lack imagination. Let me be clear: The new products will be a new architecture."

Did anyone expect a delayed to be the same architecture? I had a good laugh when I red the we do not lack resources comment...Umm you lost 1.18B and are billions in debt, taking a year to fix drivers and finally catch the enemy, delaying products (which of course means instant NV delay announcement following it) etc. Lacking resources is showing ALL OVER the place. Even NV admitted lacking resources to do T4 and T4i at the same time (they shifted from T4 to T4i to make sure they got into phones for xmas) thus costing them Nexus7r2 for July. I think that was a mistake (small one, should have upped dev expense to meet this deadline), but at least they are honest about what they did and why.

AMD is claiming a sales boost, but what do you expect when giving away games the enemy doesn't? Now they're adding regular software for vid editing free too...How much crap do you have to give away to produce a sale? And how much does this take from your bottom line? This is a dumb tactic when your gpu division can't even break 20mil profits vs. NV ~180mil (and that's after tegra loses money taking from the full gpu profit). AMD needs a new strategy.

"AMD plans to continue offering bundles—including some with image editing software, for the non-gamers who need some extra visual firepower—to drive home the point that, yes, the Radeon 7000 series is very much graphically competitive."

I find this sends exactly the opposite message. You have to give away all kinds of crap to get a sale? Translation: WE SUCK PLEASE BUY OUR STUFF. Will you buy it if I give you some candy with that card? :( This is now how you want to represent your products not to mention it costs you a fortune in profits. Most people looking at two cards on the shelf (disregarding reality or an educated reader), with one giving all kinds of crap for free and the other not, will think there is a problem with the one with all the free stuff. Common sense tells us you don't get anything for free.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Im fine with this as my 560 Ti 448 is still holding up pretty good. I usually only upgrade my GPU every 2-3 years, so its kinda perfect for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.